DVLA question for those who have imported a MH (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
We are off to Germany on Wednesday to collect our new can. It's a Fiat Ducato PVC conversation and it has 2 COC, 1 from Fiat and the later one from the convertor Dethleffs/Poessl.

When submitting the V55/4 registration paperwork, did you send all the COC? Or just the last one from the convertor?

I'm slightly reluctant to send the Fiat COC if not absolutely necessary as the Convertor COC does not have a CO2 value, but the original Fiat COC does.
I know the DVLA are meant to ignore the Fiat one but I want to make sure, without having the paperwork returned because it is incomplete.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First you have to apply to the VCA they will issue a certificate under the mutal reconition scheme ( need to get vehical inspected for headlights, rear fogs & speedo conform) that enables you to register the vehicle with the DVLA.

You send the final C of C (possel one) to the VCA. You don't sent the C of C to DVLA.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It's new and UK spec RHD, so I understand I don't need to have the mutual recognition certificate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It's new and UK spec RHD, so I understand I don't need to have the mutual recognition certificate.
I think you have posed this before. As Lenny says you only send the CoC (final one) to the VCA. Do as you please but you need to get the VCA certificate to prove it conforms to UK requirements for lights and speedo. Merely having RHD does not assure this to the authorities.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Make sure that you photocopy the original docs, keep the photo copy and send the originals into the DVLA ,google translator is very usefull in helping you fill in the forms

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Why is all this necessary? After all we are ALL in the EU? (well at least for the next few years)?. Change the lights, Yes, so they do not "dazzle", But why anything else?

Just Askin`

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
First you have to apply to the VCA they will issue a certificate under the mutal reconition scheme ( need to get vehical inspected for headlights, rear fogs & speedo conform) that enables you to register the vehicle with the DVLA.

You send the final C of C (possel one) to the VCA. You don't sent the C of C to DVLA.

I think you have posed this before. As Lenny says you only send the CoC (final one) to the VCA. Do as you please but you need to get the VCA certificate to prove it conforms to UK requirements for lights and speedo. Merely having RHD does not assure this to the authorities.

Why is all this necessary? After all we are ALL in the EU? (well at least for the next few years)?. Change the lights, Yes, so they do not "dazzle", But why anything else?

Just Askin`

You shouldn't have to do any of these, if you look at the coc you will see it tells you the vehicle is built to be driven on the left hand side. It should also state that the speedo is in miles and not KM.

There is no need to get a VCA as the van has been built to be driven on the left just the same if they were delivering to a UK dealer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You didn't say it was RHD, our first import was RHD just had to apply to DVLA current regs are unclear but I think you can bypass the VCA bit.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
You shouldn't have to do any of these, if you look at the coc you will see it tells you the vehicle is built to be driven on the left hand side. It should also state that the speedo is in miles and not KM.

There is no need to get a VCA as the van has been built to be driven on the left just the same if they were delivering to a UK dealer.
Hi Lorger,
Thanks. Can you point out to me where on the COC (maybe a point number on your COC) where it says to be driven on the left and speedo in MPH? As I can't see any entry on mine?
The only ref to RHD I see is a RHD/LHD tick box at the top of the v55/4 form.

The only thing i van think of is the "variant code, on the coc which is LAT1 somehow refers to RHD/ MpH

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ah.. found it - it is at the bottom of the Dethleffs / poessl COC - which says

"item 0.10 c) -zur fortwährenden Teilnahme am Straßenverkehr in Mitgliedstaaten mit Linksverkehr, in denen Einheiten des englischen Maßsystems für das Geschwindigkeitsmessgerät werden, zugelassen werden kann",

which Google translate says is

"to ongoing participation in road transport in Member States with left-hand traffic,. where units of the English system of measurement for the speed measuring instrument be, can be admitted"

Last edited:
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Can anyone she'd any light on where the engine no is? The manual says it is stamped on the block but the idea am struggling to see it. I think I might have found a stamped plate by lying underneath the engine but it is almost unreadable in the position.
The v55/4 for me asks for the engine no... Did you need to give it and if so, where did you find it from?
Thanks

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry I'll have a look in the morning as its a bit dark, i'm sure from memory after struggling to read mine off the engine it was stamped somewhere accessible.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
There is often a paper sticker on the cam cover and/or cam belt cover which should have the engine number on (unless they steam cleaned the engine before delivery).

However, I gave the dvla the number from the CoC form, which I later realised is the engine TYPE. When I told the dvla they said don't worry - many new vehicle registrations don't state an engine number anymore.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Out of curiosity? has anyone recently imported an R-V from the `States?. My last import was in the mid 90`s, and was fairly hassle free, except for the "customs" with it being a "personal import". Change lights, add amber indicators etc (and an MOT). Has much changed?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In the words of Churchill the Dog Oh Yes!!!!
Its a whole new world full of regulations prohibitions and compliance's, special import examinations DVSA/Vosa ect far far to complicated for me to answer
good luck
Many now employ the expertise of RV Dealers and Importers but its not compulsory a lot f homework is required but is quite doable our sister site RVOC.co.uk
may be a better or quicker source of information from a wider RV audience
G

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
You didn't say it was RHD, our first import was RHD just had to apply to DVLA current regs are unclear but I think you can bypass the VCA bit.
Yes he did.

"It's new and UK spec RHD, so I understand I don't need to have the mutual recognition certificate."

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Yes he did.

"It's new and UK spec RHD, so I understand I don't need to have the mutual recognition certificate."

You are quoting @Lenny HB out of sequence - his first reply (#2) said I needed a VCA mutual recognition certificate.
I clarified in post #3 that it was new, UK spec RHD and AFAIK, did not require a MRC as you quoted
Lenny HB responded in post #8 (which you quoted first) that (when he made the first reply in post#2), he was unaware it was UK spec, so he corrected his advice.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I've just had a look at mine and can't for the life of me remember where the obvious one is, but if you crawl under the van it's clearly stamped and easy to see. Or so Lorraine tells me :)
Sorry can't be of much help.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I called up my local Fiat Commercial dealer and spoke with the service department and gave them the chassis VIN no and they were able to look up the Fiat system and give me the engine no :) Saved me rolling about under the van!

They also said there was a recall out for the van (which is a September 16 build x290 Euro6 150 hp auto) and to book it in once registered.
He didn't have any information on the details of the recall at the time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I called up my local Fiat Commercial dealer and spoke with the service department and gave them the chassis VIN no and they were able to look up the Fiat system and give me the engine no :) Saved me rolling about under the van!
You don't actually need an engine number to register you can just put "unknown" in the box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
well I have got back from a week skiing in the Alps to find i've got my new V5 back from the DVLA within 6 days and i have a UK registered van now!:Grin::drinks:registered as a motor caravan on the PLG tax rate of ÂŁ235 p/yr

many thanks to everyone for help and guidance in filling out the Dvla paperwork. especially thanks to @lorger , @Lenny HB and @sallylillian @Minxy Girl and others for the help.(y):drinks:

time to get my UK plates made up:)

i got a worrying phonecall from the DVLA whilst on the piste to tell me that my tax cheque, whilst i made it out for the correct ÂŁ235, i wrote Two Hundred and Fifty Five Pounds Only.
the Dvla chap kindly sent me the cheque back to correct / re-issue.
i assumed the registration paperwork would be put on hold until i sent the corrected cheque in and i was really surprised to find the new V5C on the door matt this evening when i got home.

I didn't need a certificate of mutual recognition as my van was uk spec and RHD and it said this on the CoC. i did point this out on my covering letter.

if anyone wants help on completing import paperwork please get in touch and i'll help with my experience if possible.

Thanks MH fun.... (y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Glad you have a result, sorry for the incorrect position I gave on the VCA, I imported a LHD vehicle so my knowledge was related to that experience, especially the VCA's dogmatic approach to the exact wording required for lights and speedo which the COC references you refer to for RHD do not in any way compare. It is a huge rush when you get the V5!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well done, that was a good result.
A bit rare the DVLA must have employed someone with a brain. Up until hearing from you the standard DVLA response to anything that is wrong they reject the complete application.
Mine was rejected as they said the VAT wasn't paid when it was, @tomag had his rejected because he sent a check that was ÂŁ5 short, not his fault he sent the amount listed on the DVLA site.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IMG_0261.JPG
Glad you have a result, sorry for the incorrect position I gave on the VCA, I imported a LHD vehicle so my knowledge was related to that experience, especially the VCA's dogmatic approach to the exact wording required for lights and speedo which the COC references you refer to for RHD do not in any way compare. It is a huge rush when you get the V5!
no problem whatsoever! :) your template letters were extremely useful... they were an excellent bulllet point list for what i had to include. so i'm very grateful for your help. :)

interestingly, the v5c records the "make" as Globecar, whereas the example v5c sent to me by other globecar owners recorded the make as Fiat

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad to hear your sorted, I will look out for your van parked up at Ae or Mabie. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back