Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The only reason you have to have a medical at 70 is your entitlement to drive a vehicle over 3500 .At the time our age group passed our driving test our licence allowed us to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 tons .The standard driving test today only allows you to drive a vehicle up to 3500 As all drivers have by law to apply for a new driving licence at 70 we have to apply to retain the C1 on our licence so we can carry on driving our motorhome or a vehicle over the current standard of 3500 to retain this benefit we have to have a medical .There is a risk involved if anyone has problems the DVLA thinks make you unsuitable to drive you will lose your licence until you can prove otherwise.If you do not want to take the risk you can just apply for a renewal which allow you to drive a max 3500 vehicle which in some cases the worst case cenario is downsize and you are back on the road , no problem. Please excuse myself for the above info but I think some of the younger funsters are puzzled as to why we have to have a medical which is because we are too ff old lol.

Deleted User
I've tried to type this a few times without sounding picky but it comes out that way.
I see you've stated a 5% tolerance (in the UK). Where is this from please @Teuchter ? I've read this many times over some years but lots of people say it but nobody knows from where.
Is it a fact or is it an urban myth? Is it just that the Police may not prosecute if within 5% of the weight?
The reason I'm asking is because if that's a fact and in black and white then that would apply throughout the weight range thus a 44 tonne artic could travel at up to 46.2 tonnes? I'm also asking for others who may accept they can legitimately travel up to 5% overweight in the UK. I'm not saying it's not correct but I've never seen where it is from. Hope that didn't sound too picky?

"Examples of penalties
The penalties if your vehicle exceeds its maximum permitted axle weight are:

Vehicle overweight by Penalty
5% to 10% £100
10% to 15% £200
15% to 30% £300
More than 30% Court summons"

from:https://www.gov.uk/roadside-vehicle-checks-for-commercial-drivers/fixed-penalties

"EXCEED WEIGHT
Severity
Endorsable
FP amount
0 up to but not including 10%
No
£60.00
10% up to but not including 15%
No
£120.00
15% and over
No
£200.00
The legislation shows that a £60.00 penalty will be levied for a 0%-9.99% overload, but VOSA examiners will allow a 5% tolerance before Fixed Penalty or Prohibition issue unless the relevant weight has been exceeded by 1 tonne or more. It is likely that a fixed penalty would be inappropriate for serious cases of overloading (i.e. in which the vehicle is overloaded by 30% and over, or the excess weight is 5 tonnes or more) and therefore a court summons would be issued."

This is from a DVSA downloadable PDF:
www.freight-train.co.uk/downloads/VOSA_GFPN_guidance.pdf

This last one may be out of date but the 5% margin is still used.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
NO @Middy42 , been off the road since march,now getting withdrawal symptoms:(:(
I applied in April 2016 and I am still waiting. They say the delay is due to work load and not to contact them again unless there are any changes to circumstances. IMHO DVLA are not fit for purpose being run by CAPITA.

Doctor thought he heard a heart murmur (He boasted he was good at spotting heart murmurs). which has since been proved wrong by echocardiogram and nothing has shown up on the ECGs taken when I developed appendicitis at the end of last year. He said he considered I was OK to drive but had to put the murmur on the form. All paperwork back and forward was completed in July but I still wait.

As a result our MH has spent the winter in storage. I can still drive it although the online check says "Licence expired" so I carry the email sent by DVLA confirming I am still able to drive. If I am still fit to drive 10 months after the application why had the licence not been issued.

We decided last year to give up full timing and got a house. Otherwise I would have been in a predicament not being able to move our home from CL to CS if they refuse to renew C1.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I've tried to type this a few times without sounding picky but it comes out that way.
I see you've stated a 5% tolerance (in the UK). Where is this from please @Teuchter ? I've read this many times over some years but lots of people say it but nobody knows from where.
Is it a fact or is it an urban myth? Is it just that the Police may not prosecute if within 5% of the weight?
The reason I'm asking is because if that's a fact and in black and white then that would apply throughout the weight range thus a 44 tonne artic could travel at up to 46.2 tonnes? I'm also asking for others who may accept they can legitimately travel up to 5% overweight in the UK. I'm not saying it's not correct but I've never seen where it is from. Hope that didn't sound too picky?

I'm afraid I was going on the "hearsay" I have picked up on this forum :oops:

However @matamoros has posted some up to date info :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back