DVLA License rules to go unchanged (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In spite of mounting pressure from groups demanding changes to the license system for motorhome drivers, the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) has announced that no changes will be made to the current system.

Currently, the C1 license is required for motorhome drivers with vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and is held by commercial vehicle drivers.

Motorists who passed their test after 1 January 1997 were denied the addition of this on their license, in comparison to drivers prior to 1997 who were automatically granted the C1 license.

This has left many people infuriated that if they wish to drive a larger motorhome, they will need to take commercial vehicle training, which includes driving a 7.5-tonne lorry.

Calls for a different category which would include larger motorhomes have been quashed by the DVLA, with the current rules set out by EU legislation.

A DVLA spokesperson explained: “There are no plans to introduce a motor home specific category.”

“A motorhome falls within the definition of a goods vehicle, which is defined in Section 3 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 as a ‘motor vehicle or trailer constructed or adapted for use for the carriage or haulage of goods or burden of any description’.

“If a trailer has a maximum authorised mass (MAM) between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes a category C1 driving licence is needed; if the MAM exceeds 7.5 tonnes a category C driving licence is required. Category C+E entitlement is required for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes with a trailer over 750kg.”

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
As happy as I am that I do have the C1 by default I agree with the descision.

It would be nice to see some clarrification on RVs over 7.5 ton though and maybe a new section for those

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Isn't it the case that the classifications are based on the size of vehicle rather than use - and that driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes would tend to require extra skill notwithstanding their type?

Given that the possession of a driving licence is a privilege rather than a right I also agree with the decision.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Or, you could say the DVLA's interpretation of our driving licence laws goes unchanged:Smile:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO: dont be fooled ,dvla will not change them the eec will,and have all ready put in place the changes and given a date of april for the uk to implement them,but if they dont no motor homer will not be able to drive in the eu with out the right cat of licence there,, im sure the french will willingly do the dock side check and give the fines as well,its in the cpc ammendments of august, just another thing our great goverment is hiding as it also says the ones with granfather rights will have to take a test ie, medical and driving.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Minor point Niggle.

If you know about these impending amendments how do you conclude that the government is hiding them? :Smile:

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have the pre 97 grandfathers rights on the C1+E and think this is right in that any retrospective changes at the time would have created considerable difficulties. That said greater skills are required for driving a 7.5 ton vehicle and if a new motorhome category had been introduced then extra driver training would have been sensible. This again would have required a roll on of grandfathers rights.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Isn't it the case that the classifications are based on the size of vehicle rather than use - and that driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes would tend to require extra skill notwithstanding their type?

Given that the possession of a driving licence is a privilege rather than a right I also agree with the decision.

Graham

I don't understand this, surly if you have past the tests and meet the medical requirements and you are not baned then it is your right!

Doug...

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
::bigsmile: not going to a long drawn arguement ?? i posted the ammendments in august and got shouted down by others,, any one with a cpc or deg in transport or opperating licence gets the amendments sent to them or can down load them i got them in august ?? [ not for public use ] ,if its true what is said at the begining of the post ,,,the transport minister is hiding the true facts about the changes because they are sent to the goverment minister,s first so that they can implement the way they change the law and how they do it,, i have work colligues in france, belgum, who are aware of them all ready, but nothing in the uk press,, by the way cheif ins,and motor traffic police in the uk are aware but not allowed to publich or comment on them ???? i work within the transport sector

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I don't understand this, surly if you have past the tests and meet the medical requirements and you are not baned then it is your right!
Doug...

It's pretty clear to me. Certain things are a right, such as freedom and the right to travel and the right to be tried by a jury of one's peers. We take such rights for granted but, in many countries, mainly communist, these rights are not available.

Other things are a privilege that must be earned. One example is the privilege of owning a gun. It isn't a right in this country but, if you can prove that you legitimately have a need for one and you satisfy requirements, you will be granted a licence to own one.

This is the same with a driver's licence. No one is entitled to one as of right. You must earn it by proving that you are competent to drive a vehicle in a particular class and by proving that you are physically and mentally capable.

Once you have proved your capability you will then be granted a licence but, until you have satisfied the relevant authorities, you have no right to simply demand that the state issues you with one.

If you want to be pedantic you could possibly argue that, having satisfied them that you qualify, you then have a right to a licence. Well, of course you do, but the point that GJH quite clearly made was that being able to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle without the correct licence is not a right, it's a privilege that must be earned.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well what can you say Jim?

OK read and noted... just glad I have a C1 + .. but it is interesting to note that they want to make it 6 tons not 7.5 tons from 2013.

That is going to cause a lot of American owners issues. I am OK as my Winnibago is 5.5 tons.

Interesting set of posts and views.

Bob:Eeek:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Surely a Motorhome is a passenger carrying vehicle not a goods vehicle. The proposals for reducing the speed limits stated this. When I took my PSV way back I took the first one in a 12 seater and was limited to that number of seats. I then did it again on a double decker and was allowed to drive any size of PSV then.

Why do you have to drive a 7.5 ton wagon to be able to drive the equivelent of a small coach its not the same type of vehicle at all.

I have C1+E grandfather rights but only for a couple of years more then I will have to have the medical.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can see this one going down the same route as Aframes and the 101" width restriction. Its always been my belief not to rock the boat in these situations.
Not that it will affect me in any way.....unless they start making RVs over 44000kgs.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
if you all read on,,,, the mgw of the vech is before a test is taken 3 tonnes the same as a luton box, after that a test and medical are required,, same as hgv,psv,,i i think the age limet is 55 or 60 then med every year same as rest of euor ,, ive just had medical and now has to be done by independant doc not your own one and you pick up your med records in sealed packet to give to them,,it will also be required to send a copy of the pass cert to your unsurance company to assess your risk ??? higher prices me thinks :ROFLMAO: its a big mine field,,,, but it will prove sevral thing you are safe to drive ??? you have no ill ness ??? proff drivers have had to do this for years to earn a living,, just because you want a big r/v or motor home its still a killer in the wrong hands ????

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Niggle can you write in slightly smaller print please, finding it hard to read your postings in such large print.

Thanks-:winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's pretty clear to me. Certain things are a right, such as freedom and the right to travel and the right to be tried by a jury of one's peers. We take such rights for granted but, in many countries, mainly communist, these rights are not available.

Other things are a privilege that must be earned. One example is the privilege of owning a gun. It isn't a right in this country but, if you can prove that you legitimately have a need for one and you satisfy requirements, you will be granted a licence to own one.

This is the same with a driver's licence. No one is entitled to one as of right. You must earn it by proving that you are competent to drive a vehicle in a particular class and by proving that you are physically and mentally capable.

Once you have proved your capability you will then be granted a licence but, until you have satisfied the relevant authorities, you have no right to simply demand that the state issues you with one.

If you want to be pedantic you could possibly argue that, having satisfied them that you qualify, you then have a right to a licence. Well, of course you do, but the point that GJH quite clearly made was that being able to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle without the correct licence is not a right, it's a privilege that must be earned.

Anyone that passed their test prior to Jan 1997 has already earned the right by law to drive a vehicle up to 7500kg gvw . This was recognised by allowing grandfathers rights to protect those that had qualified. Anyone passing their test following Jan 1997 would have to meet the new requirements.
If retrospective changes to the law were made eg building regs we could not keep up with it.
Unfortunately the Euro State will remove many of our rights and the only sensible way is out !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
“If a trailer has a maximum authorised mass (MAM) between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes a category C1 driving licence is needed; if the MAM exceeds 7.5 tonnes a category C driving licence is required. Category C+E entitlement is required for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes with a trailer over 750kg.

even DVLA dont know what their on about.

since when have you needed any driving licence for a TRAILER ?

A C+E licence is needed for a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes towing a trailer over 750kg....not 3.5 tonnes as they state.
a C1+E is the one needed up to 7500kg + trailer over 750kg (max train = 8250kg)

if they cant read their own interpretion of the law what chance the rest of us :Angry:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
. but it is interesting to note that they want to make it 6 tons not 7.5 tons from 2013.
Bob:Eeek:

I have just spent the last couple of days searching for the paperwork that says the UK will NOT drop the C1 category to 6 tonnes - due to the extensive changes and costs involved.

Think of all the small delivery lorries, White-Van man and other vehicles - all needing a full C Licence driver etc.

Think about the school runs in the smaller coaches (larger minibuses) - all those volunteer drivers needing to be upgraded etc., etc., etc.

And that is not to mention the American motorhome owners that have vehicles heavier than 6 tonnes but less than 7½ tonnes.

Southern Ireland have already instigated capped engine speeds on motorhomes over 3½ tons and require Tachographs on motorhomes over 7½ tonnes (new registrations only) - how long do you think it will take for some jobsworth over here to climb on the band-wagon and require all motorhomers in this Country to fit speed limiters etc., etc., etc.

Ireland has already found one major problem with this situation - some automatic gearboxes do not change up into top (overdrive) before the speed limiter cuts in - so some engines have had to have gearbox ratios re-set etc. Phenomenally expensive exercise.

A couple of years ago I was watching 'Hansard' like a hawk - looking for the final reply from Government on the changes - I did see it once but have since lost sight of it.

The gist of the answer was that the UK would not change to a 6 tonne limit - however, that was a previous Government and things may well have changed since then!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Frankly I find the whole thing pathetic, you cannot drive this as its 3850kg

R apido 779M Automatic Mercedes Motorhome 2001
IcoRating0.gif

2001 Rapido 779M SOLD Mercedes Sprinter 2200cc Turbo Diesel Automatic Length: 21'9" (6.63m) Layout: End Fixed Bedroom Height: 9'4" (2.84m) Berths: Four

But you can drive this as its 3500kg

Swift
Lifestyle 590RL Motorhome 2005
IcoRating0.gif

2005 Swift 590rl lifestyle SOLD Fiat Ducato 2286cc Turbo Diesel Manual Length: 20'3" (6.16m) Layout: End Lounge Height: 9'10" (3m) Berths: Four...

or this

Swift
Sundance 620 Motorhome 2000
IcoRating0.gif

2000 Swift Sundance 620 SOLD Fiat Ducato 2.8 Diesel Length: 21'6" (6.55m) Layout: End Washroom/Dinette Height: 9'9" (2...
Compare

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If there were constant 7 1/2 tonner accidents could understand it all but no more than normal.

Like toads, when do you ever see one on it's roof? whereas caravans!!! and I have both.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

IcoRating0.gif

2001 Rapido 779M SOLD Mercedes Sprinter 2200cc Turbo Diesel Automatic Length: 21'9" (6.63m) Layout: End Fixed Bedroom Height: 9'4" (2.84m) Berths: Four

Swift
IcoRating0.gif

2005 Swift 590rl lifestyle SOLD Fiat Ducato 2286cc Turbo Diesel Manual Length: 20'3" (6.16m) Layout: End Lounge Height: 9'10" (3m) Berths: Four...

or this

Swift
IcoRating0.gif

2000 Swift Sundance 620 SOLD Fiat Ducato 2.8 Diesel Length: 21'6" (6.55m) Layout: End Washroom/Dinette Height: 9'9" (2...
Compare

you forgot a few very important words Peter....

Frankly I find the whole thing pathetic, you cannot drive this as its 3850kg UNLESS YOU PASSED your test PRE 1997:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

IcoRating0.gif

Swift
IcoRating0.gif

or this

Swift
IcoRating0.gif

Compare

that may be so but in reality the chances of being pulled by vosa for being overweight in any of these are equally quite high as i bet when loaded with food and clothes for a trip for all occupants for a week you wont have the payload for the passengers legally

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back