Free Member
Jun 5, 2019
Weymouth in Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi all
Just joined group as I’m supposed to take delivery of converted Renault Trafic next month . Owned a caravan up until now and always stayed on sites for a week at a time . I’m hoping to be more flexible now and get out and about across the country .
One concern I have is with the new DVLA legislation . The van is going to have a pop top so my understanding is it will be registered as a van with side windows not a motor caravan on the V5 . Has anyone here had this situation or can anyone see any pitfalls to this .
Thanks in advance
Mike L

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Hi all
Just joined group as I’m supposed to take delivery of converted Renault Trafic next month . Owned a caravan up until now and always stayed on sites for a week at a time . I’m hoping to be more flexible now and get out and about across the country .
One concern I have is with the new DVLA legislation . The van is going to have a pop top so my understanding is it will be registered as a van with side windows not a motor caravan on the V5 . Has anyone here had this situation or can anyone see any pitfalls to this .
Thanks in advance
Mike L

Some sites won’t allow you to sleep in anything not correctly registered as a motorhome/motor caravan (apparently)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
I don't think there will be any problems at all, often find this with small converters vans.

The only problem comes with self-builds as some insurance companies insist on it being registered as a Motor Caravan.

Edit:
Check the VED, I'm not sure if it's different for Vans & Motorcaravans under the new system, might work to your advantage.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Do you know why it cannot be registered as a motor caravan?
Have you looked at the DVLA requirements?

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registering-a-diy-caravan

Also https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan

The second has a statement about a van having to look like a motor caravan, the external requirements mention having 'motorhome graphics' whatever that means! An Ebay search shows lots of such non vehicle specific decals so that should be easy to satisfy.

I worry someone is trying to sell you a van not truly converted to a motorhome.

EDIT: I have just reread your post and realise you have a pop up roof and as you state that is the reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
You must go to some weird sites if they ask for your registration document.

This is why I said apparently, most ask for your reg number, I doubt any check but a lot of the bigger sites have something in their t&c’s that mention it and also have a no commercial vehicle policy that if being funny they could use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do you know why it cannot be registered as a motor caravan?
Have you looked at the DVLA requirements?

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registering-a-diy-caravan

Also https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan

The second has a statement about a van having to look like a motor caravan, the external requirements mention having 'motorhome graphics' whatever that means! An Ebay search shows lots of such non vehicle specific decals so that should be easy to satisfy.

I worry someone is trying to sell you a van not truly converted to a motorhome.
I was assuming it was a new vehicle
Thinking about it I don't think anyone converts the Traffic now. I think Bently were the only ones that used a Traffic.

So if an older van won't make any difference to the VED but if it's a self-built conversion it could cause insurance problems with some companies.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
very difficult now to get self builds as anything but a van with windows according to reports on other groups even new vw californias are being registered as van with windows pop tops no longer seem to qualify
yet according to the website vehicles must be registered in the correct class

Deleted User
There have been a lot of comments and queries and the DVLA have said they are going to review the new quidelines. The DVLA are basically saying that to get the body type altered on a converted vehicle then it must look like a campervan to any law enforcement officer and not simply a van with windows.

This is also quite relevant.
"The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans."

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.
But insurance companies often want it registered as a Motor Caravan and premiums are a lot lower than for a van.

OP
OP
Mike L

Mike L

Free Member
Jun 5, 2019
Weymouth in Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thank you for the replies . I’m getting the Trafic from Sussex Campervans . They seem to be a reputable company . I’ve been waiting for a 2ltr auto to come into the country . Typically all this DVLA business has kicked in since I placed the order and paid a deposit . The company assure me it won’t be a problem but I thought I would get some advice from people on here .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not a motorhome? It will be insured as a commercial van..... Most likely a lot more expensive than a registered motorhome.
Road tax will be the same for both.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I was assuming it was a new vehicle
Thinking about it I don't think anyone converts the Traffic now. I think Bently were the only ones that used a Traffic.

So if an older van won't make any difference to the VED but if it's a self-built conversion it could cause insurance problems with some companies.

Not quite true.

Trafic converters...

There are others, but their names escapes me atm.
I have a Trafic campervan (for sale actually)

Broken Link Removed

and can confirm that they make excellent campervans and roomier than VW'S.

Mine is a '64 plate and is registered as a motor caravan with DVLA, not sure about current legislation changes.

Graydo

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Actually,
just read the new requirements for a motor caravan which seems to specifically exclude poptops.
Given that 90% of campervans ARE poptops it would seem that we are no longer motorcarans!

Also, new rule stating that "graphics" must be on both side of the van is a lot of tosh.

This would mean that in certain circumstances the only difference between a motorhome and non motorhome would be a £20 decal kit from ebay (which usually look god awful IMHO).

However, being classified as a"van with windows" may make it cheaper to buy in the first place, so maybe it's just as well.

Graydo

Newcamperowner

Free Member
Jan 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 months
Hi all
Thanks in advance
Mike L

Newcamperowner

Free Member
Jan 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 months
See my long post on 30th of Jan. I have a 2017 Trafic and also can't get it classed as a motorhome. Unless it is too late, if you can cancel the poptop conversion, consider a fitting a fixed high top conversion as this might sway the DVLA. I love driving my Trafic.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Saw this earlier today on Facebook.
Allen Van.jpg

It's just been refused by the DVLA and is now a "van with windows" Looks more like a motorhome than most IMO.

Point is, might not be worth going for a different style of van in the hope it will be reclassified. Insurance wise, seems quite a few companies will insure as a motorhome after being classified as a "van with windows". Some will also do agreed value. So probably not an issue in real world.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Saw this earlier today on Facebook.
View attachment 360017

It's just been refused by the DVLA and is now a "van with windows" Looks more like a motorhome than most IMO.

Point is, might not be worth going for a different style of van in the hope it will be reclassified. Insurance wise, seems quite a few companies will insure as a motorhome after being classified as a "van with windows". Some will also do agreed value. So probably not an issue in real world.
What was the reason for rejection? The outside looks like it complies.

Deleted User
The DVLA person must have decided it looks like a van with windows rather than a Motot Caravan, perhaps he found it to be too plain looking and some fancy graphics would solve that problem.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The DVLA person must have decided it looks like a van with windows rather than a Motot Caravan, perhaps he found it to be too plain looking and some fancy graphics would solve that problem.
i dont know how theres graphics on every panel bar the front wing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back