DVLA - Don't You Just Luv 'em ? (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Six weeks since I sent my V5 and supporting documents to them to have my van weight up-rated and colour corrected, so hearing nothing from them, I rang them yesterday.

No sir, nothing here at all, not even an entry on our system to suggest we've even received your application. It's obvious that your application is lost and you need to apply for a new V5, but send in your supporting documents with the application.... Oh and don't forget the fee of £25 and we will do the uprate at the same time !

I mentioned that the original documents were with the application and was advised that they do need sight of them. I suggested sending the scans which I have and was told that they couldn't guarantee no further delay if they decided to ask for originals.

I had already decided to give them another week or so and ring again, just incase my application had turned up, but earlier today I opened a letter from DVLA, returning my original weight certificate with a compliments slip and a hand written message, saying "V5 to follow".

So often one hears tales of woe and ineptitude from this slumbering giant of an organisation, but here I have evidence to the contrary.....

Since hanging up the phone yesterday, the extremely slow postie has dropped my envelope off at Swansea. Like lightning, DVLA have opened the envelope, checked the quality of the application and all supporting documentation, decided they are happy with it, dropped my weight certificate in to a return envelope, along with the complimentary slip, addressed and stamped it, before no doubt shouting across the car park for the very slow postie to hang on and asking him to get my letter straight back to the north east (y)

You doubters you !! :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did you check your vehicle details on line to see if it had been changed as often this is done before the paperwork is sent back to you?

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Daily.... and it still hasn't been updated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
When you get the V5 back it will probably be wrong, they will have changed the revenue weight but will have left the max mass at 3500.:ROFLMAO:
I'm half expecting that, even though I put a letter in with the application, spelling out exactly what was required.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get our V5 corrected. Usual problem : revenue weight changed but not the MAM. How on earth can they keep making the same mistake over and over again?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I once applied to re register an old tractor , and in the post a day or two later had two letters from them on the same day, one said I couldn't reregister it for some reason but in the other envelope was the v5.(n)(n)

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
I phoned yesterday, six weeks after I returned my V5 because they had changed the revenue weight to 4200 but left the MAM at 3500.

Explained that I had called them in May and been told to return it with a covering letter to explain what was wrong.

Eventually told that it had been entered onto the system this week and was probably receiving attention.

Having read the other posts, it's clearly an ongoing problem which you'd think they would get right after one, maybe two mistakes...??

Who is managing these people and how is performance measured? We as tax payers are really their employers but, in reality, just suffer from their ongoing ineptitude.

They seem oblivious to the fact that we are their customers paying for the service that they are supposed to provide. It really feels like they think they are doing us a favour as opposed to delivering a service which is being (well) paid for.

If this was a private enterprise then I'm sure it would not stay in business for long. It's a shame there is no alternative organisation(s) providing these services to allow for customer choice.

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Who is managing these people and how is performance measured? We as tax payers are really there employers but, in reality, just suffer from their ongoing ineptitude.

They seem oblivious to the fact that we are their customers paying for the service that they are supposed to provide. It really feels like they think they are dong us a favour as opposed to delivering a service which is being (well) paid for.

If this was a private enterprise then I'm sure it would not stay in business for long. It's a shame there no alternative organisation(s) providing these services to allow for customer choice.

It is private business that is running this shambles. CAPITA. They are an outsourcing operation that are running many parts of government activity with an aim to make a profit. They employ people at the lowest rates and get rid of experienced staff all under the mantra of efficiency. People are lining their pockets from what were civil service jobs. Don't blame the staff in Cardiff. They are not responsible for this shambles. Contact your MPs and complain every time something goes wrong. It works, as soon as my MPs office (not the MP personally) contacted the "MP complaints section" inside DVLA Yes they have one. My licence renewal that has taken 11 months up to this point just appeared. They claimed shortage of staff for the delay.

These clowns registered my newly imported Mercedes Hymer S700 Motorhomes as a wait for it... MAKE: Mercedes, MODEL: Renault Scenic, BODY TYPE: pickup. They used the factory weight ticked of 3400kg as revenue weight and no MAM which is 4600kg as stated on the other documents and pictures that were included. Fortunately the local offices were still operational, so I got it sorted by sensible, knowledgeable staff, unfortunately now unavailable due to efficiency savings.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Exactly the same happened to me when I was changing my V5 on a conversion to 'Motor Caravan', except I paid the £25 and ended up with two V5s. Grrr.

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
Capita......!!!?

Well that answers my question.....

I've seen this 'organisation' in practice within the NHS. I've come across so called 'professional' property experts charged with project managing building and refurbishment contracts. In my experience, many don't know a door from a window...!

No wonder the public purse is haemorrhaging so much money with this company so deeply entrenched ...!

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Progress at last, this lunchtime saw DVLA's web site updated to show my revenue weight at 4500kg.

The torturous wait now begins for the V5 to arrive, to see if they have also raised my maximum and rear axle weights, as per my monosyllabic* request letter.

* as advised by a respected forum member :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Progress at last, this lunchtime saw DVLA's web site updated to show my revenue weight at 4500kg.

The torturous wait now begins for the V5 to arrive, to see if they have also raised my maximum and rear axle weights, as per my monosyllabic* request letter.

* as advised by a respected forum member :D
You live in hope.:D2

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i lost my motorcycle entitlement and will have to sit another test thay asked for my original pass certificate from way bak in 1776 :rofl: incompetent fools
bill

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you think DVLA are bad under Capita just imagine what it was like when they were running various Government Departments' payrolls! It was a nightmare at times.

Denise

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
i lost my motorcycle entitlement and will have to sit another test thay asked for my original pass certificate from way bak in 1776 :rofl: incompetent fools
bill
I had to do the same Bill. MCN had a big spread of a bike cop taking it again on a fully liveried PanEuropean a few years ago. :D2

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Six weeks since I sent my V5 and supporting documents to them to have my van weight up-rated and colour corrected, so hearing nothing from them, I rang them yesterday.

No sir, nothing here at all, not even an entry on our system to suggest we've even received your application. It's obvious that your application is lost and you need to apply for a new V5, but send in your supporting documents with the application.... Oh and don't forget the fee of £25 and we will do the uprate at the same time !

I mentioned that the original documents were with the application and was advised that they do need sight of them. I suggested sending the scans which I have and was told that they couldn't guarantee no further delay if they decided to ask for originals.

I had already decided to give them another week or so and ring again, just incase my application had turned up, but earlier today I opened a letter from DVLA, returning my original weight certificate with a compliments slip and a hand written message, saying "V5 to follow".

So often one hears tales of woe and ineptitude from this slumbering giant of an organisation, but here I have evidence to the contrary.....

Since hanging up the phone yesterday, the extremely slow postie has dropped my envelope off at Swansea. Like lightning, DVLA have opened the envelope, checked the quality of the application and all supporting documentation, decided they are happy with it, dropped my weight certificate in to a return envelope, along with the complimentary slip, addressed and stamped it, before no doubt shouting across the car park for the very slow postie to hang on and asking him to get my letter straight back to the north east (y)

You doubters you !! :rofl::rofl:

Did you send it recorded delivery?? I always do and never had a problem,,,They deal with millions of enquiries a week so i think they do a bloody good job usually..Shame that because of Government cuts they have had to close local offices,,,,BUSBY,,
me

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Did you send it recorded delivery?? I always do and never had a problem,,,They deal with millions of enquiries a week so i think they do a bloody good job usually..Shame that because of Government cuts they have had to close local offices,,,,BUSBY,,
me
Keep reading on, there are further updates Busby and I think my V5 could be back soon (y)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get our V5 corrected. Usual problem : revenue weight changed but not the MAM. How on earth can they keep making the same mistake over and over again?

My V5 (sent recorded delivery with covering letter) has been with them for 3 weeks now to correct exact same mistake!!!

On speaking to SV Tech they tell me that it an extremely common occurrence and they have given up "reminding" DVLA!!

I suspect it is the luck of the draw as to who actually does the amendment to your V5 on initial upgrading you get one of 3 people doing it:-

1. Normal competent person who knows what he or she is doing so V5 comes back correct 1st time :)
2. Fairly normal incompetent person who does not know what he/she is doing so MAM not changed:rolleyes:
3. Abnormal unhappy at work person who knows exactly what they are doing but does not change MAM - because he can!! and will get off with it!! :cautious: :mad:

I am sure one or more "type 3" exists or there would not be so many errors!!!(n)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you send recorded the Royal Mail sign for it by the sackful at the local office then deliver the sacks, Special delivery not much better.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
My V5 (sent recorded delivery with covering letter) has been with them for 3 weeks now to correct exact same mistake!!!

On speaking to SV Tech they tell me that it an extremely common occurrence and they have given up "reminding" DVLA!!

I suspect it is the luck of the draw as to who actually does the amendment to your V5 on initial upgrading you get one of 3 people doing it:-

1. Normal competent person who knows what he or she is doing so V5 comes back correct 1st time :)
2. Fairly normal incompetent person who does not know what he/she is doing so MAM not changed:rolleyes:
3. Abnormal unhappy at work person who knows exactly what they are doing but does not change MAM - because he can!! and will get off with it!! :cautious: :mad:

I am sure one or more "type 3" exists or there would not be so many errors!!!(n)

Mine went off tonight, by recorded delivery and accompanying letter plus a copy of SVTech's up-plating certificate. I expect one or more of the following to occur (a) they deny having received it (b) they lose it (c) they process it incorrectly and it is returned without amendment or (d) it is returned, whether correctly or not, but without the certificate. I suppose it is just possible that it is done correctly and they return it with my certificate but I'm not putting my mortgage on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back