DVLA delays, perseverance wins the day. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There have been a number of threads about the diabolical delays with licence renewals, particularly C1 and over 70’s.
Well, here’s a little bit of good news for a change.
I have contributed my thoughts on various threads about the DVLA a few times in the last weeks as my license renewal has taken an age. My real, unpublished, thoughts would be too juicy even for our broad minded Fun friends. :devil:
We are booked through the tunnel on 1st September and I was getting somewhat agitated that we might have to cancel so spent some time this morning hitting the phone in the unlikely event that I might find a human on the other end.
Like the previous times I had tried phoning I just got a recorded message and then the line was cut.
This time I kept hitting the redial button, over and over and over again. After getting a low battery on one cordless phone I swapped to the second one and kept trying.
Eventually, amazement, it actually rang and after the usual list of options and reasons for delays I was put on hold. Just over 10 minutes on hold and a Welsh accent answered and took my details. I explained the situation and after checking he said the application had gone to the medical department but he could put me through to them.
Another 10+ minutes on hold and a very calm and clear Michael answered, put me on hold while he checked the details, then said the application had gone to be considered by those above and they would be in touch in due course. Once again I explained that we were booked to go abroad in 10 days time and I was starting to panic. Put on hold again for a short time before St. Michael came back and said they were processing my application today and it would be sent via second class post.
Hooray, hooray……….France here we come. :france:

So, if you are waiting for license renewal do keep trying to get through and speak to someone. They are actually human on the other end and very helpful……….despite my evil thoughts about the staff at DVLA.

Richard.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Now relax and enjoy your holiday!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Well done still waiting for mine since May. What time do you recomend to ring as it may be the time zone they decide to actually answer the phone.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Well done still waiting for mine since May. What time do you recomend to ring as it may be the time zone they decide to actually answer the phone.
I started ringing at around 11am and just kept redialling until finally the line actually rang and there was an answer rather than an automated message.
The actual call, after all the time on hold, was almost an hour.
Why it takes them over 14 weeks to do a basic administrative task that was finally done in minutes is a mystery that we will never know the answer to.

I feel that the Secretary of State for Transport needs to do some serious arse kicking.

Richard.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I sent my licence away on the 9th of June by recorded delivery to have the photograph updated as they were 10 years old
Rang DVLA on Thursday which was exactly 10 weeks from the time they had received it and after a long wait finally got an answer
The operator assured me my replacement licence had been issued and I could check online
This morning I checked and it was still not showing on the system so rang them again and eventually got through and guess what it hasn’t even been processed
So I was lied to by the operator on Thursday
I’ve now had to cancel my Eurotunnel crossing on the 1st of September because I won’t have a licence to take with me

DVLA are a bunch of inept B…….s
and not fit for purpose
🤬🤬

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
and not fit for purpose
🤬🤬
I must say good stories about them are very few and far between. Definitely understaffed by the government.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
FINALLY !!!
Did a weight upgrade with Van weight Engineering and sent off the V5 last week of June.
New V5, all correct with new weight arrived today after 8 weeks...

Strange co-incidence i sent away for my Grandsons provisional licence on 25th May.. That came back 2 days ago, however I had made an error on the application so thats corrected and now back in the system :doh:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I sent my licence away on the 9th of June by recorded delivery to have the photograph updated as they were 10 years old
Rang DVLA on Thursday which was exactly 10 weeks from the time they had received it and after a long wait finally got an answer
The operator assured me my replacement licence had been issued and I could check online
This morning I checked and it was still not showing on the system so rang them again and eventually got through and guess what it hasn’t even been processed
So I was lied to by the operator on Thursday
I’ve now had to cancel my Eurotunnel crossing on the 1st of September because I won’t have a licence to take with me

and not fit for purpose
🤬🤬
I have found this which is something to consider.
A) Most applications are sent to the DVLA whilst they are still active mine is until late October but with DVLA now awaiting renewal process.
B) Since the driving licence is active the licence shown below is proof of said licence and they authenticate this in their system.

It is something to consider.

0E8C4B78-40FA-4491-BFAC-F5C21F3FFC97.png

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
And they sent it 2nd class they must have thought it was really urgent.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just to update this thread:-
My new license did finally arrive on Thursday morning……it only took fifteen and a half weeks.
To add to our angst we had an intermittent engine problem on the van which has been sorted today, it also had a full service and axle grease.
Off to France on Wednesday………phew! :france::france:

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back