Dvla conversion checklist help (1 Viewer)

Carmadrob

Free Member
Jan 23, 2021
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi we are currently converting our x 16 seater welfare bus and I'm stuck on the bit about separate entrance to living accommodation door. Our van has drivers and passenger doors . We have the two big doors at the back which open fine but about 3ft from ground. Would these do for dvla. ? We won't be using the doors when complete because we plan fitting a bed against the doors but will they see that as non entry entrance if you know what I mean. Do I get a fold up bed so entrance free to get in and out and install a ladder . Any help would be great. Thanks. Rob

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Hi,

I’d probably give up, if your trying to get motorcaravan classification. (it’s not really needed anyway)

Probably the best you’ll get is van with windows...if it isn’t already down as that.

I didn’t bother reclassifying my second home converted PCV.

Carefull with your answers as you only get five posts as a free member, by the way.

Lord Vader

Free Member
Jan 31, 2021
East Sussex Newhaven
Funster No
MH
Renault Master
Exp
Conversion
greetings fellow member,
I have been in the motor trade for best part of 45 years and to be honest most of the DLA requirements are to satisfy the MOT tester, I agree with everyone else I would not bother going for a reclassification on your van. I am converting our 14 seat Renault Master Van from a mini bus to a love bus, as long as you conform with the requirements (eg) any mains supply must be installed by a competent electrician the bed/beds must be fixed to the vehicle structure and the living and cooking areas really need to be separate areas. you are pretty much free to build as you so desire.
LordVader

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, to conform to DVLA, you have to have the following
Seats fastened to a fixed wall, these can convert to a bed ...2 or more ringed cooker, a wardrobe , this can simply be a cupboard ,,,even under the sink unit.(also needed)a fixed table, windows and it must look like a Motor Caravan not just like a van or graphics etc. Now they also want a awning. Again to make it look like a MC😉
I usually take a few pics before and after. One from front showing number plate and down each side, same from rear,inside of van showing seats etc then as a bed.I usually fit fold away tables so show it as though it's fastened to the units with cups plates and cutlery 😉
Send about 8 pics in total along with a small covering letter stating that it's been converted from a van to Motor Caravan
No doubt that someone will be along with a link to the actual DVLA website on required things that need to be done👍
I only do proper conversions not sheds 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back