DVLA CHALANGE (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2009
Prescot merseyside
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance
Exp
Has any body taken on dvla over medical issues and won

Had my c1 and d1 taken off me before my treatment has started spoke to consultant he said they have jumped the gun so will be challenging them

Tintin

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Normally a Doctor would advise DVLA of such issues that impact on driving ability, but at the appropriate time.

If in your Doctor's opinion, you are perfectly safe to drive until such time as you undergo treatment, then yes, they have jumped the gun, but your Doctor should not have informed them yet and without knowing what he/she told them, DVLA may have acted correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2009
Prescot merseyside
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance
Exp
I should have said I am70 so it's part of the process we need to go through at this age my consultant has to fill in details of my condition which he did stating that outlook looked good and that I was booked in for angiogram but they seemed to jump the gun and my consultant said the same.
So in for angiogram 20th this month so fingers crossed and anything else I can cross.
Tintin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'd ask for a copy of how he worded it to dvla
I think it really hinges on whether he actually said you are fit to drive or not

Deleted User
You have a heart? condition that requires a consultant and are scheduled for an angiogram presumably to decide how bad it is and you are surprised that DVLA are being cautious?

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2009
Prescot merseyside
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance
Exp
Matamoros yes it's mild angina and as my consultant said dvla have jumped the gun as the out look is good his words not mine as there is thousands
driving with this condition inc c1 all I am asking for is to get results first before they make a decision.
Tintin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You have a heart? condition that requires a consultant and are scheduled for an angiogram presumably to decide how bad it is and you are surprised that DVLA are being cautious?
An angiogram is an exploratory procedure, not a diagnosis.
DVSA do not need informing until a diagnosis is made then it depends what that diagnosis is.
Even a heart transplant only requires a minimum 6 weeks not driving and is not notifiable.
My doctor was quite happy for me to resume driving 7 weeks after a triple bypass and he had no reason to inform DVSA either before or after surgery as its not a noticeable illness.
Search Google for DVSA noticeable illness's

Correction, I just read the op again and saw C1 & D1.......both need notifying but only Truck, bus and coach, presumably professionally.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes me too!! A medical has indicated there "might" be an issue, which also means there might not
we are not normally known for "GUILTY TILL PROVEN INOCENT" In the UK
It only seems reasonable of DVLA untill it happens to you!!!

Deleted User
@Geo and @pappajohn DVLA revoked the licence apparently because of something that the consultant had written on the D4 medical form that had failed one of their criteria.

That is not a 'might', DVLA do not revoke licences for no reason, unless it is a genuine mistake they revoke the licence because one of their criteria has not been met.

I have no interest in what is notifiable or not to DVLA under normal circumstances, the OP has had the C1 and D1 revoked/suspended because of something on the application to renew a LGV licence for which certain criteria have to be met.

I think that DVLA, and doctors, have a duty of care of care to the rest of us to err on the side of caution in these cases and I speak as someone who has had HGV medicals every 5 years for the last 25 years and depended on my licence for a living, not to go on holiday.

I have not renewed my C+E licence and I will not be renewing my C1 & D1 in a couple of years when I reach 70.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And how may I ask do you know what was written oh his form? certainly nothing he has said would indicate such an error, or that any mistake had been made by his consultant, quite the contrary
I based my comments on what info was supplied in his posts and stand by them

Deleted User
And how may I ask do you know what was written oh his form? certainly nothing he has said would indicate such an error, or that any mistake had been made by his consultant, quite the contrary
I based my comments on what info was supplied in his posts and stand by them

As did/do I.

I have no idea what what was written on his form but the word apparently in my post and in the OP "
before my treatment has started
gave me some clue as to the fact that the consultant had written something on the form to indicate to DVLA that there is a problem.

I did not say that the consultant had made a mistake, what i said was that the DVLA do not revoke licences for no reason "unless it is a genuine mistake" the implication being a mistake on their part.

If the consultant had made a mistake then DVLA can only act on what is written on the form.

Driving any motor vehicle should not be treated lightly, especially LGV's, that is why a medical is needed at 45 or 70 to try and keep all of us safe.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
As did/do I.

I have no idea what what was written on his form but the word apparently in my post and in the OP "
gave me some clue as to the fact that the consultant had written something on the form to indicate to DVLA that there is a problem.

I did not say that the consultant had made a mistake, what i said was that the DVLA do not revoke licences for no reason "unless it is a genuine mistake" the implication being a mistake on their part.

If the consultant had made a mistake then DVLA can only act on what is written on the form.

Driving any motor vehicle should not be treated lightly, especially LGV's, that is why a medical is needed at 45 or 70 to try and keep all of us safe.

I agree with this.

Unless the OP has advised DVLA Medical Branch himself, which is highly unlikely as I'm sure he would have said so, then it will usually be one of his Doctors that have advised them of his condition.
They should not have written so early, unless they have a genuine concern that something needed notifying now.

There are other methods of alerting DVLA Medical Branch of concerns, but these would be passed back to the driver's Doctor for a decision on fitness to drive.

As has been said already, the OP's initial enquiry should be to see what information has been sent to DVLA and why it was sent at this early stage. If the information is wrong, then the Doctor needs to advise DVLA to retract their decision.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry me ole china your as out of line as DVSA
you too have miss quoted what was written and made many unfounded assumptions xroll:
to make sweeping life changing judgments without evidence is unmistakably wrong on all counts
The OP is retired his Job and livleyhood may have been curtailed again without evidence

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think that DVLA, and doctors, have a duty of care of care to the rest of us to err on the side of caution in these cases

Can't argue with that.

As has been said already, the OP's initial enquiry should be to see what information has been sent to DVLA and why it was sent at this early stage. If the information is wrong, then the Doctor needs to advise DVLA to retract their decision.

In my experience the DVLA do not retract decisions - even when they have made an error and when the consultant who wrote the report contacts them and asks for reasons / explanation.

The DVLA are slow, very slow and it is much easier for them to say "no" than "yes" - and to defend a "no" decision.

If you do appeal @Tintin please let us know how you get on.

For anyone else in the same position it is best to voluntarily send back your licence rather than wait for the DVLA to revoke. Then when you are fit enough to drive again you can drive once the DVLA receive your application, otherwise you can't drive until the DVLA make a decision which can take months and months. You should only drive if you are well enough to do so and have medical advice (and optician's okay) that gives you the okay.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
This sort of thread 'does my head in'. You get people aligned with their pre-existing views and making their own assumptions while querying others.

The basic facts - as we've been given them are 1) that DVLA were notified and; 2) The 'outlook' looks good.

What the DVLA were notified of the OP's condition we are guessing at but common sense suggests its a medical issue that led to the DVLA action. The 'Outlook being good' means nothing really and could imply that the 'current situation' is not.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Matamoros yes it's mild angina and as my consultant said dvla have jumped the gun as the out look is good his words not mine as there is thousands
driving with this condition inc c1 all I am asking for is to get results first before they make a decision.
Tintin

So you have applied to retain your C1 etc because you are 70 and the consultant has done his report that indicates you have angina but he can't quantify the risk until you have had further tests. Is that the gist of it?

If that is the case I think the DVLA will be very cautious and revoke the licence until you have had the test results. Once the results are in and any treatment completed you will be able to apply to have the licence restored. It may take quite a long time to get the licence back even after you send in satisfactory results.

Sorry but that is the way things work, and I am sorry to say that you probably won't win an appeal if my assumptions are correct.

Apologies if this sounds harsh - I have sent you a private message :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The DVSA certainly works in mysterious ways, a colleague of mine60yrs plus had triple by pass, he was not grossly overweight but could easily has shed a couple of stone to aid his cause, he had been driving c1 +e for a living for years and has still retained his licence. I once recall an occasion at the Stibbington Diner on the A1 where I saw a HGV dismount from his Scania Tractor Unit. He was at least 25/30 Stone wearing the issue trackies (normal Trousers would not fit him) . Hr waddled over to the Café where he sat and ate his king size fry up lunch. He sat about 18inches back from the table as his bloated stomach prevented him getting any closer. I watched him waddle back and heave himself back up into the truck.
His shirt and jumper had holes worn in the front from movement of the steering wheel against his body. A heart attack waiting to happen!

THIS MAN HAS BEEN DEEMED FIT TO DRIVE AT HIS LAST MEDICAL.!!!!!!!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
DVLA are very quick to hold back on renewal if there is ANY possible doubt regarding be fit to drive.
My last renewal was refused for 5 months due to me declaring that I had taken a stress test 7 years earlier (the previous 5 year renewal form did not ask the question).
To make matters really difficult, the stress test was 100% fine so the hospital never kept the results!
It took a letter from my GP to confirm that there was nothing reported to him other than probable cause of the original chest pain was anxiety.
In the meantime my licence was suspended but only for LGV and not C1. No logic that I could see but it meant that driving the motorhome was ok.
Good luck with the appeal but tbh I think their speed of doing anything will take longer than your results

Deleted User
Sorry me ole china your as out of line as DVSA
you too have miss quoted what was written and made many unfounded assumptions xroll:
to make sweeping life changing judgments without evidence is unmistakably wrong on all counts
The OP is retired his Job and livleyhood may have been curtailed again without evidence

If that is a reply to me, I have made no misquotes, unfounded assumptions nor made any life changing judgements with or without evidence.

The OP has stated that "Had my c1 and d1 taken off me before my treatment has started spoke to consultant he said they have jumped the gun so will be challenging them"

and in a reply "I should have said I am70 so it's part of the process we need to go through at this age my consultant has to fill in details of my condition which he did stating that outlook looked good and that I was booked in for angiogram but they seemed to jump the gun and my consultant said the same."

So the OP is waiting for treatment and his consultant has notified DVLA, presumably by the D4 (assumption!),of his condition. DVLA have made a decision on those facts, that is what they are there for.

The consultant may say that they have jumped the gun but DVLA have made a decision on what he wrote on the form neither I, you or the OP know on what basis DVLA make that decision.

Deleted User
Tintin

I am not getting at you in any of my replies just trying to point out that DVLA have to make judgements on safety grounds and the facts they are presented with, like everybody else they are not infallible and I hope you are successful with your appeal.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
DVLA are very quick to hold back on renewal if there is ANY possible doubt regarding be fit to drive.
My last renewal was refused for 5 months due to me declaring that I had taken a stress test 7 years earlier (the previous 5 year renewal form did not ask the question).
To make matters really difficult, the stress test was 100% fine so the hospital never kept the results!
It took a letter from my GP to confirm that there was nothing reported to him other than probable cause of the original chest pain was anxiety.
In the meantime my licence was suspended but only for LGV and not C1. No logic that I could see but it meant that driving the motorhome was ok.
Good luck with the appeal but tbh I think their speed of doing anything will take longer than your results
That is interesting. I had a stress test early this year which revealed my heart is absolutely fine and not related to my high blood pressure. I'd never consider informing the DVLA :Eeek: not on your nellie :xlaugh:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
;)What they don`t know. Won`t hurt them. Like the forces NEVER volunteer!.;)

Except that some things you have to let them know about. If you are not sure here is a list:

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

If you do not tell them there is a £1000 fine if they find out. Plus if you have an accident you may find your insurance is not valid.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Except that some things you have to let them know about. If you are not sure here is a list:

If you do not tell them there is a £1000 fine if they find out. Plus if you have an accident you may find your insurance is not valid.

Well---I got to 'O' on the list and I would say therefore that 99.9% of moho owners/drivers shouldn't be driving; including me of course!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Naw! just pretend ignorance!.:rolleyes:. Cant read only got one eye:).

P.s I am NOT being serious!.

However the DVLA are a bunch of bankers. and couldn't manage a booze up in a brewery. Typical Civil Service. Neither Civil Nor Servile. Tried getting in touch lately?. They have NO proper e-mail system (Just an online form). The Phone system is ALWAYS Engaged. The last time I tried a FAX, They said they had not received it until I faxed them the copy of the receipt!. Just a bunch of "time servers" who should be shot!.

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
That is interesting. I had a stress test early this year which revealed my heart is absolutely fine and not related to my high blood pressure. I'd never consider informing the DVLA :Eeek: not on your nellie :xlaugh:
It is only required to inform them on a LGV/PSV application or renewal as it specifically asks if you have had ANY routine test on your heart.
In my case they claimed I had misled them on the previous renewal but I had a record of the application which showed that they had worded the questions differently and therefore was not previously required to disclose the test ( not that it made any difference as there was nothing wrong).
If the test had shown angina or similar, I would have had to tell them about it as soon as possible.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well---I got to 'O' on the list and I would say therefore that 99.9% of moho owners/drivers shouldn't be driving; including me of course!

Not everything on the list has to be reported - if you click on the condition it tells you if / when you do need to report.

Ignorance is no excuse, it is the driver's responsibility to find out of he or she needs to report a condition and to report it.

I do agree that they are a pain in the rear to deal with.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Not everything on the list has to be reported - if you click on the condition it tells you if / when you do need to report.

Ignorance is no excuse, it is the driver's responsibility to find out of he or she needs to report a condition and to report it.

I do agree that they are a pain in the rear to deal with.

It is and you have to. They are not a pain in the rear. They are there to try to prevent horrendous road traffic collisions that usually end with death/s and injury. Yes I agree, it is the end user who has been given the responsibility. which is right and proper. If it happens, the person will regret not being truthful for good. I don't hold with people who complain about the system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back