DVLA Again, only this time.... (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Sent the original V5 for my car along with the supporting documents from Land Rover confirming a new engine has just been fitted to DVLA on 10/07/21, received new V5 back complete with changes on 03/08/21. 18 working days, not bad when considering the disasters some fellow Funsters experience when dealing with the DVLA.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The DVLA site is showing they are processing applications received on 26/07/21 for V5C changes but 23/06/21 for first registrations and 02/06/21 for over 70s C1 applications.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The DVLA site is showing they are processing applications received on 26/07/21 for V5C changes but 23/06/21 for first registrations and 02/06/21 for over 70s C1 applications.
We took delivery of our new vehicle on 21st July. Our dealer assures us (time after time) that the DVLA have told them that as they have signed for evidence of the paperwork being received by DVLA, then we can drive it even though it’s not showing as registered. Our MP is in the process of getting confirmation of this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We took delivery of our new vehicle on 21st July. Our dealer assures us (time after time) that the DVLA have told them that as they have signed for evidence of the paperwork being received by DVLA, then we can drive it even though it’s not showing as registered. Our MP is in the process of getting confirmation of this.
That would be very useful for those waiting and sensible to try and get confirmation from your MP. One Funster got stopped by the police and sent home but this was a while back. There used to be a 2 week concession but this was dropped years ago.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Land Rover engine change which I assume was only to get the engine details changed on the V5C would be handled by a different department to new vehicle registrations.
Time scales in different departments will be totally different.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Land Rover engine change which I assume was only to get the engine details changed on the V5C would be handled by a different department to new vehicle registrations.
Time scales in different departments will be totally different.
Yes the different timescales are shown in the link I posted above, it gives the dates they are currently processing different application types by date received.

May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Today I received an email from the DVLA stating that no vehicle is registered under my chosen registration number, and that I must not use the vehicle on the road until I receive confirmation from them that the vehicle is registered. They state that they are currently taking six to ten weeks to process applications, but it could take longer as they are working with limited staff numbers and effects of industrial action.
Not helpful and very frustrating ! 😡🤬

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Today I received an email from the DVLA stating that no vehicle is registered under my chosen registration number, and that I must not use the vehicle on the road until I receive confirmation from them that the vehicle is registered. They state that they are currently taking six to ten weeks to process applications, but it could take longer as they are working with limited staff numbers and effects of industrial action.
Not helpful and very frustrating ! 😡🤬
Could I ask what prompted the email. Had you written to them asking the question?

dennis45

Free Member
Aug 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
I was told this same story by a dealer (Perthshire Caravans) but a call to DVLA confirmed it to be untrue. DVLA themselves do not even sign for mail, it's common knowledge that the sorting office signs on their behalf.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Some of those dates are optimistic or downright lies………you choose.

Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I was told this same story by a dealer (Perthshire Caravans) but a call to DVLA confirmed it to be untrue. DVLA themselves do not even sign for mail, it's common knowledge that the sorting office signs on their behalf.
That is exactly what I have always understood to be the case.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
So our van arrived in U.K. dealiship on the 23rd July. Sent paperwork postal 28th we then checked dvla tax side of site and it was deemed taxed yesterday. So is this suggesting the vehicles now registered ?

Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
So our van arrived in U.K. dealiship on the 23rd July. Sent paperwork postal 28th we then checked dvla tax side of site and it was deemed taxed yesterday. So is this suggesting the vehicles now registered ?
I would suggest that if your registration mark shows up as taxed on the Vehicle Enquiry Service then that is the status of it regardless of you having received the V5C.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
You obviously know where the bodies are buried 😎

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We took delivery of our new vehicle on 21st July. Our dealer assures us (time after time) that the DVLA have told them that as they have signed for evidence of the paperwork being received by DVLA, then we can drive it even though it’s not showing as registered. Our MP is in the process of getting confirmation of this
Ask your dealer to tax it if they're convinced its usable because DVLA have the documents.
If it isn't registered yet it hasn't a reg number on computer record, if it hasn't a reg number it can't be taxed..... See the dealer explain that.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Ask your dealer to tax it if they're convinced its usable because DVLA have the documents.
If it isn't registered yet it hasn't a reg number on computer record, if it hasn't a reg number it can't be taxed..... See the dealer explain that.
The dealers applied to get it registered and taxed for us 😌 so given my dreadful dvla experience (another thread re provisional lic)

the plate they’re registering it with says taxed … long as it’s confirmed I can drive away legally I couldn’t care less how long V5 takes by snail mail. We’ve a holiday booked and just want to not be sent hone 🤣 waited a very long time for van/ this planned trip

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
It has a reg number as it was a retained number.
They let us drive it out of the dealership and take it home. Before we set off we asked about the legality, The salesman told us that our V5c would be with us in the post.
We had to take it back this week, before we set off from home we told the salesman about the postings on Fun. He told us again that they had spoken to DVLA and had been assured that as long as we didn’t go abroad in it, then we were ok to drive it.
That’s when I emailed our MP to complain about the length of time that it was taking to get our paperwork, and could he confirm the legality of driving it.
I’m not doubting previous postings, I think that IF our MP does as he says then at least we will know for definite.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
It has a reg number as it was a retained number.
They let us drive it out of the dealership and take it home. Before we set off we asked about the legality, The salesman told us that our V5c would be with us in the post.
We had to take it back this week, before we set off from home we told the salesman about the postings on Fun. He told us again that they had spoken to DVLA and had been assured that as long as we didn’t go abroad in it, then we were ok to drive it.
That’s when I emailed our MP to complain about the length of time that it was taking to get our paperwork, and could he confirm the legality of driving it.
I’m not doubting previous postings, I think that IF our MP does as he says then at least we will know for definite.
Please do keep us posted as must stay right side of the law as insurance invalid if knowingly breach law etc id assume! Just waiting for that call to say it’s ready come and collect it 😊

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Our MP replied to my email the same day as I sent it. I thought that I would give them a week before chasing them. Obviously it’s his constituency secretary that’s doing the work, but as long as they get a definitive answer thats fine.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
V5 arrived today 6th…. August by way of an update !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back