DVLA - 6 months wait to change the weight (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In September I decided to downplate my Mobilvetta from 3850 to 3500
There were quite a few reasons for wanting to do it - similar vans for sale were all under 3500
I could share the driving with my sons who don't have C1s and I was about to take one of them to Poland
My C1 expired in January this year
More restrictions for vehicles over 3500
Cheaper toll charges
Van easier to sell when the time comes
Not being able to use the van much after the trip to Poland I just waited and waited.......
In December I renewed my driving licence without the C1 - that came through quickly but I could not now drive the Mobilvetta
I phoned the DVLA, lots of waiting but got through to be told
- Just cancel your DD for the current PHGV duty, fill in the application for tax for PLG (more but hey) and send a cheque with the form back to the DVLA
An online check showed the tax had been changed but not the weight
Yesterday I phoned the DVLA again - finally today I see online that the weight has been changed and a new V5 issued (y)
If anyone has a problem with the DVLA I suggest you telephone - yes you will be on hold for a long time but it will get sorted

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Given the issues DVLA have with paperwork and COVID it’s not surprising but is totally inconvenient for individuals.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
My other half filled in her licence renewal application online last week and received her licence in the post Wednesday. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Anything you do online is done quickly, driving lic, name and address on V5, changing reg no anything by post that has to be done by hand dont hold your breath.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
It took 3 weeks to get my hgv licence back after sending back in for an update. Different departments have different delays I suppose.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Anything you do online is done quickly, driving lic, name and address on V5, changing reg no anything by post that has to be done by hand dont hold your breath.
On 9 February the DVLA received my postal application to up-plate my motorhome from 3500kg to 3850kg. 15 days later on 24 February the new weight was registered.
On 23 December 2020 the DVLA received my postal application and medical form for C1 license renewal at age 70. 26 days later (including Christmas and New Year holidays) on18 January my new license was issued.

The DVLA seem to be turning round postal applications quite quickly at present.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have done a manual application for a V5 ( aka a V62) for a Toad bougt with a green slip
Start to finish 8 working days

It seems to have no rhyme or reason to the differing lengths of time

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Looking at your timeline, your application went in at the height of the Pandemic when it came to postal applications.
I've posted elsewhere. DVLA receive 60,000 pieces of post every day. Because of COVID they had to take over the lease of two office blocks to deal with social distancing.
The CEO admitted that they were slow off the mark when it came to organising social distancing because they could not obtain the materials to ensure safety of staff ie Perspex screening etc.

Whereas I posted an application to uprate on the 8th January and received the V5C back all done 25 days later.,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back