Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I've been trying to find a solution to this for sometime.

We have an Avtex TV/DVD in the van that's great. What I would like to do is to be able to watch movies from a USB stick, purely to avoid having to carry so many discs with us as space is at a premium.

I have looked at many video convertors but as an Apple user I have yet to find any suitable software.

Are there any Mac users out there who have successfully transferred movies from disc to a USB stick?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I tried a few and in the end bought some software. It is not cheap but it certainly works for us and has been used 100's of times. It is MagicDVDRipper and there is a Mac version. It will convert bought DVD's so you could digitalise your collection and like us play them wirelessly directly from your Network storage. We don't buy DVd's but download programmes from the TV and watch them when we are away.

Our Avtex, but not our friends, has a habit of turning off DivX on its internal settings menu, wish I knew why. Worth a check if you are having a problem getting the files to play on the TV. It has been said on here how to reset the setting but if you want some info PM me.

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Another vote for Handbrake, used it on our mac for last few years. We store all our films on a hard drive then just plug it into the laptop to watch them. Used to work just fine in our Avtex but got rid of that as we dont watch tv any more.

Shawn

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I use Handbrake ( as recommeded on this forum) on a windows PC , but I see there is a mac version - hope this helps :xgrin:

I downloaded and tried this on some old CSI Miami series that I thought we could use on the go but Handbrake wouldn't touch them. Not sure if they are copy protected or possibly US rather than PAL but it just wouldn't load them - counted down the tracks to one and then ignored it :xsad:

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Does anyone know if handbrake works for bought (and protected) videos to DVD/hard drive?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We have an Avtex TV/DVD in the van that's great. What I would like to do is to be able to watch movies from a USB stick

It might be worth checking if the TV/DVD unit has a maximum size (Gb) of USB stick that it will accept before you embark on all the file transfers. Details should be in the manual - specifications are often given near the back.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Does anyone know if handbrake works for bought (and protected) videos to DVD/hard drive?

Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.

I have lots of DVD's that I assume have copy protection on them and trying them with Handbrake, you are right, it will not convert. So, now what ? Is there something that can overcome this ? Or, shall I just stick with the DVD player. Getting them all onto some form of other storage, would free up a bit of cupboard space. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back