DVD and/or Freeview in MH (presumably not Sky or Virgin) (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I have a projector that will play from USB/HDMI/AV inputs and I mostly use it to play films or Episodes that I have loaded onto USB memory sticks. Being a bit lazy though, sometimes all that copying can be a pain and it would be nice to connect up a little DVD player or Freeview box. It's only VERY occasionally though so don't want to burn over £100. I also want to avoid anything that needs wifi or 3/4G as I can do that on my phone/laptop already.

So ... any recommendations? Something cheap and small that plays multi-region DVD's and picks up Freeview would be good - even better if it had a hard disk that I could record stuff at home and watch away.

I already have limited Sky and Virgin at home and I am presuming that recordings on those will refuse to play if I took them in the Van - although it would be a very pleasant surprise to hear otherwise!

PS I've thought of using my Laptop for DVD's but it's not multi-region. I don't currently have any aerial/dish and would prefer to use a portable thing if possible (edited after @NickNic comments)

Thanks! (y) :)

Last edited:

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
You wont be able to take them of the Tivo box onto a USB stick, Although I do know there are certain bit torrent sites that you can get most programmes from

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I assume you have a TV aerial on your van? If not forget any kind of TV or Freeview.

You can get them both in one box but you'll be paying £100 upwards.

Thanks Nick, I was hoping to avoid x2 power leads and x2 cables to projector.

You wont be able to take them of the Tivo box onto a USB stick, Although I do know there are certain bit torrent sites that you can get most programmes from

I had a bit of an experiment with Sky and Virgin. Without a Satellite fix the Sky box will do nothing, but I'm wondering whether something hand held would get it to register and then I could watch the recordings. The V6 box works fine in the van with no cable - you can watch whatever you've recorded. Unfortunately you miss all your recordings whilst away, and can't get any other live channels either.

I know what you mean about those sites ... I have loads of box set DVD's but sometimes it seems easier to D/L them than to rip them onto memory sticks. Bought should mean bought, once you have them you should be able to have them in any format IMHO.

sid1234

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, Don't know if you know this but if you have a Netflix account you can download a lot of the films and TV series at home or where its not going to cost you to download and then watch them on the road, but you have to do it on there APP either Windows, Apple or Android, the link will explain it https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816?ba=GSButtonClick&q=download movie on laptop £7.50 a month not too bad and a least its legal.

Attachments

• Screenshot (33).png
    Screenshot (33).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What about a cheap PVR? There are quite a few to choose from and most have a 12v transformer built into the cable so the base unit runs on 12v (with a suitable connector of course), you can then record stuff onto it at home and play it back in the camper, it would also allow you to record stuff whilst on holiday too, no need for a USB or DVD player then.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Yikes - after a slow start there are many suggestions, all of which I'll have a good look at this afternoon / evening. Just at the moment I'm more confused than the proverbial Irishman* confronted with two spades and told to take his pick ;)

This thread started because I have a projector TV and loads of DVD's. I picked up about 10 full series of CSI for a tenner but the prospect of decanting 240 episodes onto USB drives is a bit daunting. I thought I might be able to find a cheap multi-region DVD player that maybe also picks up freeview. I could then leave them connected in the Van and playing them would be simple.

I also have a Laptop with DVD player (R2) and an external drive (R1) but faffing around with transformers, cables, chargers etc is a pain and I can't leave the laptop in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (y) :)

*Other groups are available for comedic relief

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Excuse my ignorance but what does a cyclone 2 box do ?
Can't stored material be played straight from a portable HD ?

I've just been having a look at that one. It plays a lot of formats straight from the box, has HDMI connections and a remote control. It's not a bad bit of kit for little money. (y) Sadly it doesn't play DVDs though, so for me it would still be downloading or ripping, which I'm trying to avoid.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It takes almost all types of video via USB and converts it out to TV via HDMI cable. With its own menu and remote.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi, Don't know if you know this but if you have a Netflix account you can download a lot of the films and TV series at home or where its not going to cost you to download and then watch them on the road, but you have to do it on there APP either Windows, Apple or Android, the link will explain it https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816?ba=GSButtonClick&q=download movie on laptop £7.50 a month not too bad and a least its legal.

I have looked at Netflix before and to be honest I was slightly underwhelmed by the choice on offer. I put this down quite a lot to my 'quirky' viewing preferences.

However I looked again today, especially the downloads regulations as it crossed my mind that I could download an awful lot of stuff in a month or two. However that's not really how it works. For a start not everything is available for download (if it's like Virgin it's probably less than a quarter), given they don't have too much of the stuff I like anyway then that's a quarter of a little. Worse than that you can only watch the stuff you have downloaded is a) you still have an account and, b) if you're logged into it. At £80 a year it's a bit of a non-starter for me I'm afraid. Fine if you like the type of stuff they stock and have good web access when away (and no DVDs to watch!).

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
What about a cheap PVR? There are quite a few to choose from and most have a 12v transformer built into the cable so the base unit runs on 12v (with a suitable connector of course), you can then record stuff onto it at home and play it back in the camper, it would also allow you to record stuff whilst on holiday too, no need for a USB or DVD player then.

You've got me thinking with this one. I have a cupboard full of old Liteon HDD DVD writers - most of which became unreliable writers and got benched. They are not 12v and may not fit in the overhead locker, free though ... I also have a Sony Multiregon DVD HDD but it's analogue only so similar value to the Liteons. I may have a look at what I've got though as I can't see much change out of £200 for multi-region PVRs - given I don't want to be carting it in and out of the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What about a portable DVD player with a small screen, that way you can check the DVDs play okay, or watch them elsewhere if you want, rather than having to always project them onto your screen?

Example below:

You can then supplement this with a cheap freeview receiver for TV reception.

If you have any good car boot sales round you go and have a snuffle round them as you can usually pick good second hand (or even new) stuff up a ridiculously low prices so it won't cost you much to see if it works.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
What about a portable DVD player with a small screen, that way you can check the DVDs play okay, or watch them elsewhere if you want, rather than having to always project them onto your screen?

Example below:

You can then supplement this with a cheap freeview receiver for TV reception.

If you have any good car boot sales round you go and have a snuffle round them as you can usually pick good second hand (or even new) stuff up a ridiculously low prices so it won't cost you much to see if it works.

That's almost exactly where we started in post #1 (except that I really do need Multi-region) and I don't particularly want x2 devices - 2 plugs, 2 transformers, two HDMI leads etc. ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's almost exactly where we started in post #1 (except that I really do need Multi-region) and I don't particularly want x2 devices - 2 plugs, 2 transformers, two HDMI leads etc. ;)

???? Not checked the spec so may/may not be suitable ... if not then I give up! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
@Vanman here you go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Reg...607331&hash=item33d22f14f1:g:XI0AAOSw~e5ZW07g

OK so it's not brand new but that's the compromise to get it under £100. All the others I've been able to find are significantly more than that.

There are a few others on eBay for even less:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_productid=66607331&rt=nc&_sop=12&isRefine=true&LH_ItemCondition=2500|3000|4000|5000|6000

OK it's admission time, I do actually own a Sony RDR-HXD970 and it gets worse. They don't actually come region free, you have to buy an All for One remote (which I did) and program it in a special way to make it work (which I also did). However, before I consigned it to the naughty cupboard I reset it to factory default settings - I'm sure there was a reason ... now however I am at a total loss how to program individual keys on the remote :blush::doh:

20170713_142739.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK it's admission time, I do actually own a Sony RDR-HXD970 and it gets worse. They don't actually come region free, you have to buy an All for One remote (which I did) and program it in a special way to make it work (which I also did). However, before I consigned it to the naughty cupboard I reset it to factory default settings - I'm sure there was a reason ... now however I am at a total loss how to program individual keys on the remote :blush::doh:

View attachment 173755

http://www.oneforall.co.uk/support/manuals

Broken Link Removed

(y)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

I've pasted the bit that I was struggling with below. I think I'm getting too long in the tooth for hacking DVD writers lol.

Thanks to you and @Minxy Girl I now have a Multi-region DVD player with freeview for nowt (plus the cost of a MH aerial). I would probably have made a couple of expensive mistakes without your coaching (y) :cheers:

First of all set the command mode of the recorder to "DVD1"
from the menu and from the remote.
After that

1. Press DVD on the remote control
2. Hold MAGIC button (or SET Button) until the led flashes twice.
3. Press 0, 5, 3 and 3 and the led flashes twice.
4. After that the URC can manage the recorder...check it
If not, then use the code search (have a look in the manual of the remote control).
When the rc works, then step over to

MAIN PROCEDURE (DON’T HAVE ANY DVD INSIDE THE PLAYER)

1. Hold MAGIC button until the LED blinks twice
2. Now type “994” (then LED blinks again)
3. Press the MAGIC button (shortly)
4. Now type 001891
5. LED blinks twice
6. Repeat steps 1-5 and enter instead of step 4 the codes 002552,000953,002214,000795
7. Put the player on standby (and be sure that there is no DVD inside)
8. Press 1,2,3,4,5 (pause briefly between each button and make sure LED of remote flashes) then the display shows “TIMER OK” and the DVD-Player goes on
9. Press 1,2,3,4,5 (pause briefly between each button and make sure LED of remote flashes) then the display shows “TIMER OK” and the DVD-Player goes off
10. Then it is done! Your DVD-Player/Recorder is Codefree!

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Most cheap DVD players are region free

They aren't. Not properly 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 region free anyway. Plus if you read the OP a built in Freeview receiver is also a requirement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back