Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Just thought we would put a "pointer" for anybody who is travelling to the Dusseldorf show this year and may be flying RyanAir.

While on their website it states they fly to Dusseldorf they in fact fly to Weeze airport (70 km and about an hour from the city and show) and NOT Dusseldorf International. As a result if you fly in late all public transport finishes at 23:00 and even then it is not very regular. Wheeze airport is a €130/€140 taxi to Dusseldorf - each way.

We made the mistake of flying by RyanAir (our only option from the airport we are flying from in Spain) and took it for granted (big mistake with RyanAir) that they fly to Dusseldorf. As a result we have to get a taxi from the airport to Dusseldorf.

For many of you, you will have the option of using another airline but may think it is cheaper to use RyanAir but after having to pay for the taxi it is not cheaper and in fact can be much more expensive - so it is worth checking out. When I contacted the Dusseldorf Tourist Board they recommended RyanAir so please be aware.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
It looks like there is a hotel at Weeze airport with a 24 hour check in machine, offering rooms at 59€ (28th August, which is one of the show days), so late arrival need not necessitate an expensive taxi. In the morning, to avoid waiting for the first Weeze-Dusseldorf bus, there is a local bus service to the nearest railway station. The show ticket includes free use of public transport, including some regional railways as well as trams in the city, so the train bit may even be free.

Another alternative route to Dusseldorf is via Cologne, where Ryanair does use the main airport. That has excellent rail connections to Dusseldorf, which again may be free with a show ticket.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
It looks like there is a hotel at Weeze airport with a 24 hour check in machine, offering rooms at 59€ (28th August, which is one of the show days), so late arrival need not necessitate an expensive taxi. In the morning, to avoid waiting for the first Weeze-Dusseldorf bus, there is a local bus service to the nearest railway station. The show ticket includes free use of public transport, including some regional railways as well as trams in the city, so the train bit may even be free.

Another alternative route to Dusseldorf is via Cologne, where Ryanair does use the main airport. That has excellent rail connections to Dusseldorf, which again may be free with a show ticket.
well said tony(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Yes but when you check on the actual timetable provided by the tourist office you will see they are not very convenient. I have just been using the timetable provided by the tourist office.

All we were doing was trying to make others who are not aquatinted with the location making the same mistake as ourselves. We are looking at attending for two days and traveling back is not helpful.

Also having to travel takes time from the show so having a hotel very near the show makes a less tiring visit.

Maybe we should have not mentioned it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes many of Ryanairs airports are like that. " Frankfurt am Hahn " is another one ; 120kms from Frankfurt & not the main international airport. Actually nearer Luxembourg Than Frankfurt. When I had to go their I was frtunate in having the benefit of my nephews experience of being caught out by them so realised it was miles away. I had to drive in the end as the alternative flights into the main airports are designed for the German businessman/woman flying into Spain & so the flight from Spain always leaves at 10pm+ & arrives after all the transport has stopped .:(

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just thought we would put a "pointer" for anybody who is travelling to the Dusseldorf show this year and may be flying RyanAir.

While on their website it states they fly to Dusseldorf they in fact fly to Weeze airport (70 km and about an hour from the city and show) and NOT Dusseldorf International. As a result if you fly in late all public transport finishes at 23:00 and even then it is not very regular. Wheeze airport is a €130/€140 taxi to Dusseldorf - each way.

We made the mistake of flying by RyanAir (our only option from the airport we are flying from in Spain) and took it for granted (big mistake with RyanAir) that they fly to Dusseldorf. As a result we have to get a taxi from the airport to Dusseldorf.

For many of you, you will have the option of using another airline but may think it is cheaper to use RyanAir but after having to pay for the taxi it is not cheaper and in fact can be much more expensive - so it is worth checking out. When I contacted the Dusseldorf Tourist Board they recommended RyanAir so please be aware.
Thanks for that......(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We stayed in the old town for a few nights when we flew to main airport. On the last day we got train in. Put bags in left luggage at show. Had another day there and shuttle bus outside direct to airport which is very nearby....

Usually go in a van though and camp on site. It's a great atmosphere and weather can be very good!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Thank you for info useful to know!(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Always found ryanair good as long as you expect what you pay for! and like a lot of the small airports. Good to raise this to make others aware its like all things ryanair its a bit of a game trying to get the best deal and avoid extras.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Ryanair again!!!

Shocking service - unbelievable that O'Leary has been getting away with it for so long.

Thanks to the OP for posting. Very useful information.

Ah don't you love some Ryanair passengers, pay nothing then act like they own the airline:)
Shocking service, yep its a bus or a train type service, want more- pay more. I don't expect afternoon tea with jam and scones at Subway, I just expect a sandwich

Always found ryanair good as long as you expect what you pay for! and like a lot of the small airports. Good to raise this to make others aware its like all things ryanair its a bit of a game trying to get the best deal and avoid extras.

Agree, sometimes the secondary airport is nearer to where I was going, sometimes its not
Look at a google map and plan your journey accordingly

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Henry y Min
Many thanks for your posting.
I'm sure some will find useful
clear.png
clear.png

:clap2::clap2:

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
@Henry y Min
Many thanks for your posting.
I'm sure some will find useful
clear.png
clear.png

:clap2::clap2:

We were just trying to make others who are going to the show (like us) of the issue that RyanAir DON'T actually fly to Dusseldorf airport as stated on their web site and the associated costs, travel time and inconvenience of landing at Weeze airport which is 70 km away from the show and the city. Thank you for you supportive message.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ah don't you love some Ryanair passengers, pay nothing then act like they own the airline:)
Shocking service, yep its a bus or a train type service, want more- pay more. I don't expect afternoon tea with jam and scones at Subway, I just expect a sandwich

Agree, sometimes the secondary airport is nearer to where I was going, sometimes its not
Look at a google map and plan your journey accordingly

yes fair enough but-

4 hours sat on the tarmac with no information,no food or drink - when people were leaving the flight because it was so bad - some guy tried to get in the cockpit..............

I think that qualifies as shocking.

btw in their wisdom Ryanair sent us the satisfaction survey before we had endured ( I mean taken) the flight. They didnt send it afterwards - quelle surprise.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Easyjet fly to main airport....find it hard to believe that some would end up 70 km away. It's a well known fact re budget airlines flying to cheap back of the beyond inconvenient places:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Easyjet fly to main airport....find it hard to believe that some would end up 70 km away. It's a well known fact re budget airlines flying to cheap back of the beyond inconvenient places:)
Yes but OP is probably looking from Alicante or San Javier.

Only ones I can see that fly Alicante to Dusseldorf international are Vueling & Iberia.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes but OP is probably looking from Alicante or San Javier.

Only ones I can see that fly Alicante to Dusseldorf international are Vueling & Iberia.
Fly with Ryan air and hire a car then.....where there is a will there is away:)

OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Air Berlin also fly from Alicante (our airport as San Javier is a 1 stop flight and not direct) - regarding the hire car it is not possible for Weeze airport - the desks close at 22:30 or 23:00 - I contacted two companies asking if they stayed open if the flight is delayed. One replied "NO" and the other one did not reply - RyanAir flight is scheduled to arrive at 22:55 so not worth chancing it. :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not really. just a (probably) normally reasonable guy driven to apoplexy by the way we were being treated ( no it wasnt me)

Some of the people were very very cross and very fedup.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If he tried to get into the cockpit he's an idiot could have been banged up banned from flying again probably with any UK airline etc. Did he think the pilots were sitting waiting because they wanted to they were probably as keen if not keener to get going than the passengers!!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Yes many of Ryanairs airports are like that. " Frankfurt am Hahn " is another one ; 120kms from Frankfurt & not the main international airport. Actually nearer Luxembourg Than Frankfurt. When I had to go their I was frtunate in having the benefit of my nephews experience of being caught out by them so realised it was miles away. I had to drive in the end as the alternative flights into the main airports are designed for the German businessman/woman flying into Spain & so the flight from Spain always leaves at 10pm+ & arrives after all the transport has stopped .:(

I fly to Germany on RyanAir once a month , and while i get that Frankfurt Hahn isnt Frankfurt , its no less Frankfurt than London Stanstead or London Luton is actually London.. the reason RyanAir use these places is because its cheap. Thats why the fares are cheap.. At Hahn there is a hotel 25M from the exit door of the terminal at £45 night, and you can bus into Frankfurt itself in the morning.. i fly to Hahn , Leipzig , Berlin ,Nuremburg and Basel Mulhouse for less than it costs to park my car in Stansted while i am doing it. The internet is your friend , research is free

Did you see the woman who booked a cheap flight for her and her husband, from Birmingham to Las Vegas , only to find out it was Birmingham , Alabama

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ryan Air knockers confuse me.

Maybe they can explain just why it is they use the airline if they think it is so bad.

In the past I have flown Ryan Air many, many times. Never let me down. Often arrived early (and we had to suffer that dreadful, recorded, fan fare) at unbelievably low, low prices.

Thank you Ryan Air... without you I would not have been able to see City win the Premier League live...(and lose the FA Cup final to Wigan).

JJ :cool:

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
If he tried to get into the cockpit he's an idiot could have been banged up banned from flying again probably with any UK airline etc. Did he think the pilots were sitting waiting because they wanted to they were probably as keen if not keener to get going than the passengers!!

Exactly right, no one sits there on purpose, slots, strikes, problems at the airport, technical issues etc etc etc

when you are stuck on the motorway, who do you rant at ?

Reactions: JJ

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Maybe they can explain just why it is they use the airline if they think it is so bad.

In the past I have flown Ryan Air many, many times. Never let me down. Often arrived early (and we had to suffer that dreadful, recorded, fan fare) at unbelievably low, low prices.

Thank you Ryan Air... without you I would not have been able to see City win the Premier League live...(and lose the FA Cup final to Wigan).

I think you have been lucky not to have had delays.....plenty of evidence around hence the reputation that goes with it!:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In my life I judge (geddit?) things based on my own experiences and not by posts on internet forums.

If you believe Ryan Air is rubbish fly with someone else...

Happy to say I don't thanks:)

my wife and daughter don't neither after recent flights to marrekesh :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I fly to Germany on RyanAir once a month , and while i get that Frankfurt Hahn isnt Frankfurt , its no less Frankfurt than London Stanstead or London Luton is actually London.. the reason RyanAir use these places is because its cheap. Thats why the fares are cheap.. At Hahn there is a hotel 25M from the exit door of the terminal at £45 night, and you can bus into Frankfurt itself in the morning.. i fly to Hahn , Leipzig , Berlin ,Nuremburg and Basel Mulhouse for less than it costs to park my car in Stansted while i am doing it. The internet is your friend , research is free

Did you see the woman who booked a cheap flight for her and her husband, from Birmingham to Las Vegas , only to find out it was Birmingham , Alabama

I appreciate what you are saying but If I wanted to fly into London I'd use Heathrow from alicante. Stanstead , Luton & Southend aren't "London" or anywhere near it .

I don't use them ,nor would I personally ever use them. My wife uses them for work flights of which 37,5% have been disrupted/cancelled in last 4 months. I have melloed though as I used to refuse to pick up/return to the airport anyone on a ryanair flight.:LOL:
When we were first here some 14 years ago there were altercations on a daily basis at Murcia-San Javier airport ryanair check in.Lot better now by all accounts but put me off for life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back