During my long drive my thoughts roamed to...part 3 (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my beloved Classic Hymer 660 which I use for my luxury holidays I have fluorescent lights over certain areas. I understand that these type of lights use quite a bit of current on the initial switch on before the "arc" fires up across the length of the tube but once alight they use hardly any current at all.

My question, Oh Wise Ones is... how long can you leave the light on before you are using more electricity than switching it off and then relighting it later?

Many thanks...

JJ

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Get some free used cooking oil, put some in an old glass jar, make up a wick out of discarded material like old socks, use a refillable cigarette lighter and not only do you have FREE light but a bit of heat as well.

SKINFLINT:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'm no cheapskate, I bought my 5 wick candle from Lidl !:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Couldn't you connect an multimeter in the line & see how many amps it uses on startup & for how long, then see what it settles down to.

I think you are thinking too much, you ought to be thinking about getting to the sun :thumb: Wish we were off to Portugal but we can't get away until the end of February. Have to make do with a local MCC rally about 15 miles away then a trip over to Lincolnshire to get the first years service done :cry:.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Good idea Ed... the sun has been out here today and looking at the star lit night now I reckon it will good tomorrow...

the "skinflint" comments have been noticed :)Smile:) but anything that reduces the time my beloved Kipor is running must surely be supported by Funsters....

JJ

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Good idea Ed... the sun has been out here today and looking at the star lit night now I reckon it will good tomorrow...

the "skinflint" comments have been noticed :)Smile:) but anything that reduces the time my beloved Kipor is running must surely be supported by Funsters....

JJ
not really, we cant hear it, your in the stary south, were in the cloudy north

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We all have to do our bit to save the planet :winky: but more importantly save a bit of cash where we can. When the sun is shining we have a couple of the solar shower bags, have a couple of thermos flasks to put it in. It's surprising how hot you can get it, also bought a portable electric shower from Maplins that we can use with our free hot water :thumb:. We tend to wildcamp a lot & we try to save on gas, water & electric where we can. Thinking of making a Kyoto Box solar Oven, if we are getting global warming then lets make use of it.
Wonder if it's possible to use solar power to run a fridge? After all it works by gas heating up the coolant the condensing :RollEyes:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Isn't thinking like this when you are driving illegal ? bit like using a mobile, drinking tea ( or worse )
Rumour had it not long ago that they were going to ban thinking in cars....... and blond passengers in short skirts.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
To avoid excessive use of power the following may help.

When wild camping park below street light and keep curtains open.
When on site park close to neighbouring motorhome and keep curtains open.
When ready to cook food on site wait until neighbour has finished BBQ and borrow leftover charcoal.

On the other hand switch it all on and enjoy yourself :RollEyes:

Larry

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Many years ago a friend put a suggestion in the suggestion box at at Jaguar that they switch all the strip lights off during lunch hour to save money. They duly tried it and found that the startup took more electric than leaving them on. Rgd's G.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Many years ago a friend put a suggestion in the suggestion box at at Jaguar that they switch all the strip lights off during lunch hour to save money. They duly tried it and found that the startup took more electric than leaving them on. Rgd's G.

Did he get a Bonus :roflmto:

Jim
:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
me thinks JJ is thinking these thoughts in order to put of thinking about the hard physical labour he needs to do.
how is widening the entrance comming along:Blush: so funsters (that dont have Hymers) :cry:can get in or hasnt it started yet?

What was that?:whatthe:
You need to think about it first :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Couldn't you connect an multimeter in the line & see how many amps it uses on startup.

Not with any multimeter he's likely to have. The startup surge will last at most 1/10th of a second. It's quite insignificant.

But on the other side, most wear on the tube is during the heating/cooling phase so switching on an off a lot is not the best thing.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have seen wild campers hook into street lights to power most of their leccy things. not recommended ,seems they go in with crocodile clips into the box at the bottom of the post. think it could be a punishable offence if caught. but inovative i must say.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
An excellent and perceptive comment Chatter... I plan to start work at Quinta Majay on Saturday/Sunday.

I have cut away all the offshoots and Dougcumiskey got his large coachbuilt in but had trouble getting out as his front wheel drive kept slipping on even the slightest bump. So I need to do some raking away leaf mould etc and spread down some stone chips to solve this.

I hope water has returned to the well(s) too...

...but all in good time... mustn't rush things... now where is the kettle?

JJ

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
i have seen wild campers hook into street lights to power most of their leccy things. not recommended ,seems they go in with crocodile clips into the box at the bottom of the post. think it could be a punishable offence if caught. but inovative i must say.

You are right Alan. When I worked for the Cheadle and Gatley Council (street lighting division) in the sixties we had a key to the lamp posts and when it was tea break time we pulled the van up at the most convenient post, plugged in the kettle and brewed up!

I thought of having a spare lamp post door with a notch cut in the bottom for a cable allowing me to park my splitty next to a post, swop doors and run a cable into the van. Never was brave enough to actually do it though... I guess another case of thinking too much and doing too little!

JJ

PS. Yes you can run a fridge from solar panels... I've been doing it for years. Got a 12volt compressor fridge from CAK Tanks of Kennilworth. Now have three solar panels (with a planned space for one more)... Ice Cold Coke on the back of your throat saying "Hello Summer Time."

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just like jj. i run a 240volt fridge through an inverter. i use gas lights in evening light ,warm n kills midges n flies. still dont know why more dont use them .they have thermo cut outs now.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
!!!!!!

JJ...Thanks for the informative reply to my e-mail !!!
However....upon reading this post..and the other 2, I really think that
you should get out more >>>> to this end I will attempt to show you the seamy side of life if I catch up with you in Portugal !!!
As Roger would say "hee hee"
Regards....Stephen....:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well, I say Stephen... the thought of you being able to show me a seamier side to life than those I have already experienced fills me with wonderment and awe!!! Bring it on... ;-)

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back