Dump black water near York (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Was going to say just drop it in the fast flowing sewage that is there at the moment, but that much would be too mucky to get out into.
There are Coach drop-points at some Motorway service area but they charge for it, They are like a large smelly grid in the roadway in the coachstop area and you release with a remote switch when the dump is right over it, would not like to have to stand there or it might be4 like Robin William's fate.

Are you serious ? Drop it into sewerage that is there at the moment ??? Really ?

Do you not think these people have enough to deal with without adding black waste to what they already have to clear ???? Oh Please! use a smilie if that comment was a joke !!!!

It would be absolutely stupid and irresponsible to do such a thing and what bloody hell would it do to represent the motor homing fraternity ?

Oh it's all right officer I dumped my shit cos there was already some there ?

I hope Admin remove these posts ASAP !!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are you serious ? Drop it into sewerage that is there at the moment ??? Really ?

Do you not think these people have enough to deal with without adding black waste to what they already have to clear ???? Oh Please! use a smilie if that comment was a joke !!!!

It would be absolutely stupid and irresponsible to do such a thing and what bloody hell would it do to represent the motor homing fraternity ?

Have you never seen a black waste thread before:xeek:
No need to get your knickers in a twist:xdoh::xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp

I agree its offensive, I cant believe the dicks on this site.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It was ment too be tounge in cheek:xdoh:

It simply does not read that way... The use of a smilie would have been appropriate ?
We should remind ourselves everything we write on the internet is there forever for all to see. The use of smilies or emoticons call them what you like indicates humour whether it's black humour or otherwise.

As above given how so many are suffering in this appalling weather I hope certain posts above are removed so offence is not taken by folk who have enough to deal with....

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Have you never seen a black waste thread before:xeek:
No need to get your knickers in a twist:xdoh::xsmile:

My knickers are not in a twist. I am however disgusted at some comments here on this thread.

There is a place for humour and a way of delivering it..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Drive into york, find a flooded street, open dump valves.

Theres so much shit floating through the streets nobody will notice.

Oh dear, looking back in the thread it looks like im in the shit as well for posting the above.

People choose to live in york even though they know its prone to flooding so a bit more shit isnt going to make the slightest difference to their lives.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
WOw, calm down everyone :)

The last thing I would do ANYWHERE is dump my black waste other than in the proper place.

Just FYI it is 95 litre black tank from a Dometic macerator toilet e with chemicals. All sorted. Will dump when I get to Rawcliffe caravan park.

As for York, my daughter has been flooded out of her house and now in a holiday let. You do not appreciate what this is like until you experience it first hand and spend your Boxing Day rescuing precious personal items and seeing others lost forever.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

That was a tongue in cheek comment Most would realise that. The bit of the comment was about the coach stops. do not be too literal. I would have put a smilie on but it doesn't work or I cannot put one in.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a serious answer is to buy a pair of manhole T handles for the job. not all sites have facilities to accept a 30ft motorhome with a black waste drain. the answer is to find a quiet road on an industrial estate with a drain manhole. always clean up any splashes and replace the cover after use. i have never known anyone get in trouble doing this, especially if discrete and respectful

it wasnt that long ago if you were organising a rally for a camping club, you either lifted a manhole or dug a deep hole to accept black waste

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Broken Link Removed

or

Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
a serious answer is to buy a pair of manhole T handles for the job. not all sites have facilities to accept a 30ft motorhome with a black waste drain. the answer is to find a quiet road on an industrial estate with a drain manhole. always clean up any splashes and replace the cover after use. i have never known anyone get in trouble doing this, especially if discrete and respectful

it wasnt that long ago if you were organising a rally for a camping club, you either lifted a manhole or dug a deep hole to accept black waste
Several of the rallies we've been on used a manhole as the dump point but it isn't every manhole that leads to a foul sewer though. Some are for surface water drains which are separate and should never be used for black waste.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you dont like it Charlie, then ignore the thread.

Your right I dont like what was said but why should I ignore it ?

My point is IF someone has something funny to say or something that MIGHT offend then use a smilie.

Perhaps I should have known they were tongue in cheek posts but where is or was the indication . There was of course none !

I will post where and when I want as is my privilege and is why I pay my subs just like everyone else. And of course provided its within the rules.

As above every thing we write is on the internet forever. Least it is here on this forum as we cannot edit a post after a certain time.

So I return to my point. Use the tools provided before making stupid posts or consider not making them at all. This is after all likely the biggest forum relating to motor homes in the UK. So perhaps a bit of thought on how we as individual represent it may no go amiss ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
WOw, calm down everyone :)

Just FYI it is 95 litre black tank from a Dometic macerator toilet e with chemicals. All sorted.

We bought a Hymer with a black tank 3 years ago, seemed like a good idea at the time, until it is full and you cant get near to an appropriate dump point. We now carry a cassette and a bucket, so we can decant some of the contents in an absolute need. Not used the cassette as yet, only used the bucket a few times early on, soon learnt to empty more often :) we are also lucky in having a manhole on our own drive connected to the foul sewer, we are also careful in how much we flush, amazing how little extra water you need

As for comments on road gullies and random manholes, this advice is so wrong, as said a lot of manholes and all roadside gullies will connect directly to surface water drains and should not be used for grey let alone black waste, IMO it is not helpful even if supposedly in jest to suggest such dumping options

Second paragraph aimed at the contributors making these suggestions not the OP (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had RVs with black holding tanks for ten years and always carried a tote tank on wheels so always able to use same dump facilities as cassettes if no ground level dump available.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Guys, getting upset over nothing. My experience of motorhomefun, look for the humour first, even in the darkest topics you'll find it. There are lots of sites where every post is serious and must remain on topic, this has never been that place.

Back to the OP. Large black tanks really are the best of both worlds, you can park in wild remote areas responsibly for much longer that it takes a tiny elsan to fill. However I know from experience that being stuck with 80 gallons of poo is a big issue. But with a little experience; so unnecessary. Never miss an opportunity to dump, even a tiny amount and have a system in place for where there is no suitable gravity dump where you can peel a few gallons off at a time (we use this ) enabling you to dump it responsibly a bit at a time.

And as as been said, NEVER assume a manhole is connected to a toilet waste sewer. So many look like they are, but they aren't.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The last thing I would do ANYWHERE is dump my black waste other than in the proper place.
Just drive to a flood free area, lift a sewer cover, and bingo. :xThumb:
You will also find that if you contact your local water authority, they will direct you to a sewage treatment station that has facilities for dumping. There can be a small charge, but under the extreme circumstances, they will probably waive it. Certainly worth a phone call to United Utilities or whoever. x:-)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Personally, I don't like the idea of just lifting a manhole cover (unless it was my own at home which is what we used to do before we moved). More than happy to pay for the privilege of dumping and is THE main reason that we belong to C and CC which allows you to 'drop in' (pardon the pun). Just 'caught out' (pardon the pun again) by the floods and was looking for somewhere else handy near York.

All comments and advice gratefully received and thanks for the various posts. Shall we 'dispose' (third pun) of this topic now?

Chris

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Yes!!. and we drew straws for who back filled it Monday!!! (or cleaned up the splashes / overspill!!).

As for my own comment viz Manholes, It is relatively easy to determine which are (or not) Sewage. Unless (like me to-day due to a lousy cold, kindly "given" to me by some "shopper" In Aldi!!) your nasal passages are malfunctioning?.:D:D:D:D:D. But seriously a far better solution than indiscriminate dumping, of Grey water by certain persons leaving Peterborough Showground, onto the highway!!!.

Pete

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i take the point about not all manholes being sewer attached, but from years of experience, and looking at their placement, easy enough to identify

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back