Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We are planning our first ever MH trip this summer for 6 weeks in Spain, having never spent a night in a MH or on a campsite (impulsive Ebay purchase) I'm thinking a weekend trip locally (Essex/Suffolk) may be a good idea just to get the feel of it and work out what things we need to get for our summer trip. Any recommendations of where to go please? The RV is 10m long and I have almost no experience driving it yet so a site with good access would be preferred!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think you definitely need to practice before you go. You need to feel comfortable with such a large vehicle on British roads before you go abroad and of course familiarise yourself with everything on the habitation side. Anyway, why wouldn't you? Motorhoming is sooooo much fun that you will enjoy practicing :dance2:

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I think you definitely need to practice before you go. You need to feel comfortable with such a large vehicle on British roads before you go abroad and of course familiarise yourself with everything on the habitation side. Anyway, why wouldn't you? Motorhoming is sooooo much fun that you will enjoy practicing :dance2:
I'm going to spend the next week driving it around, practicing reversing and generally getting the feel of it. I'm confident enough as I drove a 7.5 ton tow truck for a few years and have spent the last few years out of the UK driving LHD. It's just the camping bit I know nothing about. I think a weekend of camping should give me an idea of what to expect and some understanding of how all the bits work

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm going to spend the next week driving it around, practicing reversing and generally getting the feel of it. I'm confident enough as I drove a 7.5 ton tow truck for a few years and have spent the last few years out of the UK driving LHD. It's just the camping bit I know nothing about. I think a weekend of camping should give me an idea of what to expect and some understanding of how all the bits work

That's great if you have the requisite driving experience. That means you don't need to drive it far, so you can spend more time on the fun side which is living in it. I can't help with sites in your part of the world. I suggest you either Google some sites or join one of the clubs and see what they have available. Then ring your chosen site and discuss your requirements. You are unlikely to have access problems on the bigger sites.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe pick an area you fancy on Google maps and type in a search of caravan sites, choose a site and zoom in for general layout and access of the site and then down to street level for a drive to view. Most sites seem to have reviews on Google if you trust their kosher.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Maybe pick an area you fancy on Google maps and type in a search of caravan sites, choose a site and zoom in for general layout and access of the site and then down to street level for a drive to view. Most sites seem to have reviews on Google if you trust their kosher.
I'm not a fan of online reviews I was wondering if anybody could suggest one from experience. My frustration with fake online reviews of hotels is part of the reason I bought a motorhome.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Hope you like it hot .. We came back this week and it was already getting into the low 30's. Spain will be busy with lots of Spanish and French during July and August. Aires are usually packed. We struggled in some sites and we are only 7.1m. As for wild camping there are spots but the local police are always around. Good luck but 10m vehicle is just to big. If you are looking for sites in the Uk you will have to tell them how big you are. Some of them you will never get in.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hope you like it hot .. We came back this week and it was already getting into the low 30's. Spain will be busy with lots of Spanish and French during July and August. Aires are usually packed. We struggled in some sites and we are only 7.1m. As for wild camping there are spots but the local police are always around. Good luck but 10m vehicle is just to big. If you are looking for sites in the Uk you will have to tell them how big you are. Some of them you will never get in.
I'm only planning to stay in the UK for a weekend and have already booked most of my sites for the summer trip in Spain as I assumed size would be a bit of an issue. as for the heat I've spent the last couple of years in Qatar! we hit 56 degrees last summer so 30 will be lovely

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Good luck with the Spanish Sites. We used the ACIS book and talk about miss leading. I think most of the camp sites in Spain were designed for caravans 30 years ago. We went to one site and I was told to take the first left and follow the road round. When I looked the road was just wide enough for the MH and there was a 90 degree bend which was impossible to get round as there was a caravan parked on the corner.

One other site I hated had mulberry bushes round all the pitches. Great for shade but the fruit was brown and very sticky. All day long you could see people with brushes sweeping the fruit up. When it rained all the roads turned into a skating rink with a brown film. Two nights of it was two to many.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It's just the camping bit I know nothing about. I think a weekend of camping should give me an idea of what to expect and some understanding of how all the bits work

Camping...! That's not camping in a ten metre RV that's luxury...:D2

You've have definitely dived in at the deep end haven't you...

I spent the winter along the south coast of Spain and all the sites I stayed at could accommodate a 10mtr van but only a few big pitches available.....

Don't worry if you forget anything or discover you need something, it can be bought in Spain for little moneys.....

Have a great time...(y)]

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Blimey, 10 metres, that's some impulsive buy..
Try Haw Wood Farm near Saxmundham - link here
Great facilities and very easy access, our 6 mtr + car on trailer were no problem at all..

Good luck
:D:D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
BMM

Firstly, Welcome!

Your driving experience will definitely help.

I used to drive 7.5t box vans and since your experience was on tow trucks, which are quite low-level at the back and the cabs probably a bit narrower than the RV, I would just caution you to regard the places you are going in 3D and how to get your 'box' through - with special regard to overhanging branches on roads where Artics may not have cleared a path, and more especially keep an eye on the outer top back corner of the RV when you a swinging round a corner, because of the overhang and sweep effect, especially on full-lock - lots of cafe sun-awnings on corners in France and Spain.;)

Is it fitted with parabolic mirors? My 7m MH was not when I bought it and having been used to them, plus kerbside and front downward mirrors, the first thing I fitted was the parabolic ones. I would not be without them - especially to spot low cars overtaking just out of view of the normal wing mirrors.

Good luck with your shake-down w/e and then the real trip.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back