Duel sim phones anyone have one. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thinking of getting a duel sim phone but I have no idea if it would be any more beneficial to me than a single sim phone. Does anyone have one and are they any better than having two phones with different sims. Just wondered. What do you use your duel sim for....Ta(y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
They are great. Had one when at work, private and work sim. Only one to carry and one to charge. Don't need one now, but they are great if you have the need.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I used to have a dual SIM phone when we spent a lot of time boating on the canal system - proved very useful having two numbers. I don't think there was any great advantage over having two phones apart from just having to carry one unit. Only stopped using it when the charging socket became disconnected.

Both SIMs were on PAYG but obviously different networks.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
They are great. Had one when at work, private and work sim. Only one to carry and one to charge. Don't need one now, but they are great if you have the need.
Thanks SM how do they work together, can you call or receive calls on either from standby mode. Does one lock out while you use the other. Can you use different providers on each sim etc.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, I have a dual sim 4G phone. Both SIM's active simultaneously. It is a Doogee Valencia2. No doubt superceeded by a later model.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I used to have a dual SIM phone when we spent a lot of time boating on the canal system - proved very useful having two numbers. I don't think there was any great advantage over having two phones apart from just having to carry one unit. Only stopped using it when the charging socket became disconnected.
Both SIMs were on PAYG but obviously different networks.
Dave
Thanks DD I have two phones that I find useful, a small IPhone not sure what vintage that has a battery that lasts forever, I use this for 90% of my calls in and out and a spare internet device. Then I have a larger Android smart phone that needs charging every couple of days that I use for sat nav skype calls and main internet access. I'm beginning to thing the battery limitations could make two phones a better option but a bit more research first....(y)

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You can choose which SIM to use, which can fool people if you reply to a text from the other number. Used to be more useful when abroad, to get a local SIM and avoid roaming charges but that has passed now. The only value of would be if you're regularly in places that are not served by a common provider. PAYG has changed recently and they may cancel your SIM if you don't incur charges on it regularly.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We live in Spain, and when we were still running with UK and Spanish SIMs we both used to have Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini "duos" (dual SIM) phones.
They were brilliant.
You can choose to have one or both SIM's active at the same time for incoming calls, and each time you go to make an outgoing call/text you just choose which SIM to make it via.

Some more recent model Galaxy mobiles are also available with the "Duos" dual SIM option in some countries/markets now.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Thanks SM how do they work together, can you call or receive calls on either from standby mode. Does one lock out while you use the other. Can you use different providers on each sim etc.

Yes you can receive and make calls from either sim from standby mode. When using one, if anyone rings the other, they get the engaged tone. Yes one of the big advantages is different providers, then better chance of getting a signal. If you get a decent make, mine was a Samsung, they have thought about the software and got the bugs out. I have tried a couple of el cheapo Chinese ones and they were odd in their working to say the least.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Sony M4 dual sim on the Ee and O2 networks. In rural Suffolk no carrier gives anywhere near full coverage. Where we live, neither works. Only downside is you can only have 4G data enabled on one of the sims but it's a 30 second job to change that in settings.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes you can receive and make calls from either sim from standby mode. When using one, if anyone rings the other, they get the engaged tone. Yes one of the big advantages is different providers, then better chance of getting a signal. If you get a decent make, mine was a Samsung, they have thought about the software and got the bugs out. I have tried a couple of el cheapo Chinese ones and they were odd in their working to say the least.
Thanks SM....(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I also am considering a dual sim phone so thanks for info (y)

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I have a Motorola G4+ Dual SIM. it's great. I can receive and make calls on both numbers at all times (when I make a call it offers an option to choose or to remember which number to use. ). Originally I had it because I work in France but live in the UK and need a French number for my clients - with the change in EU law on roaming charges the benefits are less but I still get 4G on my french sim when my Three "Feel at Home" only gives me 3G.

I'd recommend my phone for its performance and price. It's available on Amazon.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I should add I have a PAYG french sim on Orange I top up when I need to. Unlimited calls/texts to French numbers and 1G data are €20 a month.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
In the last few days have bought a motorola G5 . Not locked to any network , it is the dual sim , 3GB ram, 16gb built in memory with sd slot etc model . Has a very decent spec for the money , as a so called budget to mid range phone .

I use it as .......1 sim slot for calls, texts ,emails , a bit of internet using our 30 day contract sim. ......Other for a data only sim, or as a other carrier spare sim , to lessen the odds of losing signal when tramping around in the sticks in MH.

Same as @SuperMike , have used the dual sim "no name" phones but they were a waste of space , bloated out with seemingly impossible to remove intrusive apps and potentially questionable software or hard coded stuff.

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
At the mo I have 2 phones, both PAYG, one with Tesco, the other with Leclerc. Have been thinking that when 1 of them dies the replacement will be a dual sim so thanks to all for this thread.

BTW I have neither need nor want for a so-called smartphone

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have got a Nokia phone for work that is dual sim it's yellow and about 4 years old with old fashioned number buttons on it... Urgh, remember them? Works great for work phone calls or occasional texts.. If you've got time to key them in lol.
For everything else I have the Samsung Galaxy S8. No need for a computer, tablet, lap top or anything else. It even sends documents to the printer via WiFi.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
£50 for a Dual Sim phone is about as cheap as it gets I'm afraid.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Cubot Dinosaur

Android 6. Decent spec. Dual SIM dual standby. I have my work SIM and personal. I also have a 64gb card in. Final touch is having multiple users which means my work email isn't on when I'm logged in to my personal user and Facebook isn't on when I log in to my work user.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The current phone I have is the Xperia X. It is dual Sim buy to enable a second sim to be in place, then I cannot use my memory card and as I do use the memory card, it's irrelevant that it's dual sim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Cubot x15 is dual sim can select either sim for calls & data and will receive calls on both sims but it through a wobbly with "Three" sims put a Three sim in and enable data on it turns the network off to the other sim, only happens with Three sims.
Second slot is sim or sd card have found it great when visiting daughter in Thailand but I've now put a SD card in so that's screwed that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back