Ducato x244 (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Anyone got a Haynes manual for 2004 Ducato? If so any chance of taking a picture of rear brake diagram and adding it to here?
Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
ive got mine currently dismantled as I am changing the discs and pads. its been a bit of a struggle, but with a bit of perseverance ive got there - now ive done one it will only take me a couple of hours or so to do the other one. the trouble I had was removing the brake calipers from the hub - its 2 @ 22mm bolts that seem to have been put in with thread tight paste or something similar. needed heating up quite few times and slowly removing. I didnt want to use an impact wrench as I was concerned that if they were in that tight I might snap the bolts as I didnt know at the time whether it was rust holding them so tight or as I found out, some sort of thread tight. space was also a bit limited for getting an impact wrench in, so i went for the old school method of using heat

I used heat proof mats that plumbers use to protect anything - I obviously removed the part of the caliper that holds the discs in place from the hub. I did have to buy small canister type blow torch @ £60 from toolstation, but it was money well spent as I will use it elsewhere from time to time.

discs and brakes were around £90 in total from europarts using the discount code they have at weekends/bank holidays etc I vould have got them cheaper on ebay no doubt but wanted them 'immediately' - I didnt have to remove the discs but they came up as 'corroded' as an advisory on the MoT so as I had to change the pads, I decided to do the job properly - so it will be fine for the next 10 years at least LOL

I found youtube a great source of info - inc one in French on adjusting the handbrake shoes - which are inside the brake disc

would a photo help - if so which specific part?

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Brilliant information thanks. I struggled with the 22mm bolts but managed in the end.
Thanks bit I'm struggling with is putting handbrake shoes back on. I've tried always to fit them but still can't get them to fit.
Any chance of a couple of pictures of shoes in situ and particularly the position of the springs and the cable actuator at the bottom.
Moral of this story is take plenty of pictures before I start.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
just about to leave home - so ive just snapped these. hope they help

the hardest part for me was the 22mm bolts ! as its just a handbrake I am not changing my handbrake shoes as they appear to be ok ....

plus I don't know if I could get them back together aswell

there are lots of videos on ebay re putting brakes shoe assemblies together again if one of tho
20190213_100803.jpg
20190213_100814.jpg
20190213_101027.jpg
se might help?

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks for your help but still can't get the buggers on. Got a mobile mechanic coming tomorrow.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I sent these earlier by phone but they obviously didn't send, sorry about that
20190213_110110.jpg
20190213_110119.jpg
20190213_110125.jpg
20190213_110132.jpg
20190213_110140.jpg
20190213_110147.jpg
20190213_110151.jpg

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks again for your help but I'm sorry to say it's beat me. Spoke to a mobile mechanic yesterday and he said they're a bugger to fit. He normally whips the hub off to give better access . He's coming round this afternoon.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Im def not replacing mine then. The handbrake wss fine anyway. As a matter of interest how 'thick' are the shoes. If mine are really worn then i'll replace mine. It makes sense to do it if needed

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Not all that thick. Leave we'll alone if you can.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
just as I thought really. they are not subject to friction wear as they only operate when the vehicle is stopped, unless of course you do handbrake turns lol. so wear on them should be minimal. there are adjusters on them aswell which you are supposed to set just so the drum/disc doesn't rotate more than one turn or so (from what I could gather on the French youtube clip)

I will leave well alone - as the handbrake was working perfectly well in the first place !

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Has he been over to sort it? Did he have to remove the hub? Is he just doing one side? What was the price?

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Job sorted. Mechanic came to have a look and was in the same boat as me. Never done one before but would have a struggle on Monday. This didn't fill me with confidence. He quoted between £60-£100 depending on length of time.
I managed to get the name of a contact at our local Fiat dealer and picked his brains.
Only way to do it in his opinion was remove the hub.
I cancelled mobile mechanic to have a crack myself.
I borrowed a 46mm socket and big bar from a friend of mine and undid the big nut and removed n/s hub. It came off fairly easy but the nut was night.
5 minutes and the shoes were on.
The o/s was a bit more awkward. Nut came off ok but hub was very tight. Managed to get it off with a lot of persuasion but the back of the bearing is damaged. Don't know if I did this taking it off or if it was already damaged.
New bearing and discs ordered for Monday so hopefully should be up and running again next week .
Not sure how tight the bearing will be. Don't have a press so we'll see.
Thanks for your help and the pictures.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks. Did you take any photos? Did you use a hub puller or something else to persuade it off. If the side that was damaged was hard to get off then chances are it was already damaged. I wont be changing my hand break shoes though, so THANKS for the heads up!!

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Forgot the photos. The good side came off with a big pull and a gentle tap with a hammer. The other side took a lot more persuasion with a hammer.
A slide hammer would have made it a lot easier but I think they should just come off easy.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
@MisterB can tell me how many clicks on your handbrake when it's on full please?
Got mine together but handbrake is not good. Apparently there's a knack to adjusting them.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
20190213_100803.jpg
Not put it together yet as i am taking the opportunity to apply chemical rust killer to everything and then paint and underseal so what should be an afternoon has turned into a full week of preventative maintenance. When i was researching, the advice was to adjust the handbreak on each drum by winding out the pads using the handbrake adjuster at the top of the hub. If you rotate the drum so that one of the wheel nut holes lines up with the adjuster then you can use a flat head screwdriver to make the adjustment. The ideal setting is when the drum can only rotate less than one full turn from what i gleaned. I am reassembling tomorrow so can count the clicks then if that helps?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Im hoping i dont need to adjust them as my handbreak was fine and the hub only rotates less than one full turn on the one side i have finished. Have you tried adjusting by removing the wheels and turning rhe adjuster?

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Adjusted the shoes turning the little wheel inside drum and then tightened cable up but it doesn't feel right. I'm going to whip it apart and have another look. Could be next week before I get chance.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Lol. I might have finished my 'little' job by then. Hate to think how much it would have cost for a garage to do all the rust preventative treatment to the extent im doing it. I dont want to just underseal it without doing the prep work first.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
my handbreak is on at the second click !! rear drums/disc now all fully assembled and working great. I reckon the drums/discs have NEVER been replaced from new - and possibly even the brake pads, but all is well now. just fitted the back part of the exhaust as it came up as an advisory, so ive replaced it now while ive got the opportunity - better than it going when I'm on the road somewhere

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Drum/discs back on. Got 3 clicks on handbrake but not adjusted cable yet. Do that tomorrow if I get home from work early enough.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The rear section was just over £50 and it took me longer to remove the old exhaust than it did to fit the new one. New one went on in under 10 minutes. I had to cut through the existing nuts holding the front pipe to the rear section using a small disc cutter. I then also cut off the hanging brackets ATTACHED to the exhaust NOT the ones attached to the vehicle !!! It was easier then to release the bits of hangers from the rubber mountings. New one went on easy peasy !!

Stainless would have been fine but i had one done once and to keep the guarantee valid i had to take the vehicle back every 12 months so i could pay them to inspect it, plus the guarantee wasnt transferable if i sold, so i went with the simpler option this time.

Ps a little tip i found out. When replacing the rubber dust caps over the end of the pistons on the caliper, turn them inside out, place them on top of the piston (where you insert the 6mm allen key to remove them) and turn them the right way again. They just pop on dead easy. I struggled for a few minutes initially but when i tried that way, they went on instantly !

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Handbrake adjusted and all working fine. Had a spin round the block and I've got a whining noise from offside. Sounds like a spring catching on drum. Strip down again on Sunday. Bloody van.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Calm ............. !!!

Just think of the fun youve had skinning your knuckles, grazing your skin and breaking your nails ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back