Ducato wing mirror casing replacement (1 Viewer)

tixeo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2016
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
9 years
Last week in the Lake District I damaged the wing mirror casing on the passenger side of my motorhome which is based on a Fiat Ducato. It is coachbuilt and so the wing mirror is a long arm version.I have been able to source a replacement casing (Ebay) but it doesn't come with any fitting instructions. I have looked online for help but with no success. Has any fitted one and could they give advice.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Which series Ducato is it( eg 244, 250 etc) ?

OP
OP
T

tixeo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2016
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
9 years
It is a 2016 motorhome. I am not sure which series that is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Are you buying the whole unit/wing mirror?
If so, they're very easy to replace.
You may have a trim panel on the inside of the door where the mirror is fitted (depending on what model you have - some just have banking grommets) - remove this and you will see the stud nuts. You'll need a socket, extension bar and ratchet. Just undo these and remember to hold the mirror whilst doing so. (wind the window down to help)
You'll then have to unplug the mirror electrics for the mirror adjustment/heated mirror control if fitted) this is just a push fit block.
To fit your new mirror, it's a reversal of the above.
If you've got the X250 model, some are fitted with the radio aerial in the mirror, so make sure you're ordering a like for like replacement.
When your new mirror arrives, just looking at it and looking at your door, you'll be able to work it all out.

I'd recommend MirrorGuards as well.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Plus if you haven't already done so, joining as a paid member on here will be the best £15 you'll spend in a year!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From memory the casings are not suitable for long arm mirrors. I would check the details in your ebay listing

OP
OP
T

tixeo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2016
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
9 years
It is just the casing that is damaged and that is the only bit I need to replace. The mirrors are fine and everything else works okay so a complete replacement is not necessary

OP
OP
T

tixeo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2016
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
9 years
The casing is listed as particularly for the long arm type.It matches visually.It is the same as versions available from a Polish seller

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Looking at the inside of the moulding it looks like there are 5 fixing points so I would start by removing all the mirror internals to access any screws

OP
OP
T

tixeo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2016
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
9 years
I was wondering if I need to remove the plastic covers over the long arms.They appear to be in two halves and clip together over the metal arm

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I replaced mine when we had Autotrail the casing is quite hard to split apart you need to be careful although I would think your new one will already come in two pieces so you can just clip it on.
The reason I had to split open was that there was an aeriel inside passenger side and the replacement I bought didn't.I managed to complete the task and all worked fine(y)(y)(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I replaced mine a couple of years ago.. An easy enough job if you just kinda look at the thing.. Hard to explain how my brain works I suppose, but the job is just a simple unbolt this and that.. I had no instructions and no previous knowledge

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Not sure how easy it is to do this to be honest. I thought it looked fairly simple but in the end I took it to a Fiat commercial dealer who had quoted me 30 mins labour to do it (£35) its not far from home so I thought it wasn't worth me messing about. Turns out it took them 1 hr 45 mins (charged for 30 mins) to do it so just be aware. In addition I got the entire factory original complete long arm unit for £180, not much dearer than some of the copies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back