Ducato speedo readability - FIXED! (1 Viewer)

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Having just competed my first 1,000 miles in my MH, I was (as many have been by the look of it) unable to see the speedo without spending too much time with my eyes off the road. I increased the dial illumination to max, but in brigt sunshine it was still not enough. Here is my fix, it works very well, cost me nothing (I already had the bits) and took about 10 mins to do.
It uses a USB LED "Snake" light (a normally useless laptop accessory) and a short USB cable extension (Male one end Female the other). A bit of "Black Tack", which is a very strong version of blue tack that will withstand the dashboard temperatures in the summer, to stick it and the cable in place.

`here are the results...
Normal view.JPG
With LED.JPG
Stuck in place.JPG

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Black tack - never heard of it before.

Short roll now ordered to add to the 'box of bits that might come in handy'.

Actually I already have a use for it as I've been struggling to keep the cable secured that runs from the rear view mirror dash cam all the way round to the centre glove box at the point where it runs behind the trim above the pedals. It'll solve that problem nicely so many thanks.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes it does, via a 230vac to 12vac transformer.
Simply bin the transformer and wire direct to a 12vac supply.
I sit corrected.

As it was of no direct interest to me I only read the main description in the heading.

Oops!

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have always set the sat nav to display the speed. Not totally accurate but then what speedo is? Satnav sits on top of dash and so the eyes have to be diverted inly very slightly from the road rather than a proper "look down" to see the Fiat speedo. Dead easy also to change the satnav speed display to kmh and back to mph as required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have always set the sat nav to display the speed. Not totally accurate but then what speedo is? Satnav sits on top of dash and so the eyes have to be diverted inly very slightly from the road rather than a proper "look down" to see the Fiat speedo. Dead easy also to change the satnav speed display to kmh and back to mph as required.
We do the same, but I'd rather assumed the satnav speed would be accurate, apart from a mili-sec delay to adjust/catch-up.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am also deeply unimpressed by the (new to me) teeny weeny dim dials of the X2/90 dashwith eye-test-chart sized numbers and information in dull red. The speedo is also very optimistic, I find. I was used to the excellent VW clocks of the Westy; so big, with superb backlighting. Fiat's dash designers have taken a giant leap backwards.:(

One can only assume that Italians don't look at their dials at all so why bother trying.

Like @makems and @mikebeaches I find it a lot easier to read the satnav speed display which is crystal clear and closer to line of sight. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back