Free Member
Aug 5, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 285
Exp
Since August 2017
Good morning Guys and gals, a question for those that have the Ducato spare wheel carrier under slung on the chassis. I have finally fitted the kit I bought, all went well, it was quite easy and everything fitted as it should. I winched the spare wheel up and my question is, should there be any audible click or other indication that the wheel is fully up or "locked" in place, rather than just using the winder to its stop position? I just want some reassurance that it won't let its self down again whilst travelling! Many thanks for reading :)

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Fitted mine a few weeks ago and it did make a clicking sound as it reached its’ full height. Also, there is a yellow maker which must show in the ‘window’ when this point is reached. If it does not show in the window it is not high enough. States this in the handbook. Mike

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Out of interest re- fitting one myself, does the carrier fit in front of the rear axle?, and which kit did you go for?

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Out of interest re- fitting one myself, does the carrier fit in front of the rear axle?, and which kit did you go for?
On my Moho, behind, as the winder sits to the rear of the wheel. I scoured YouTube for rivnut fitting and found a very simple method. If you need this info please ask. I bought the kit off flea bay, not the cheapest but it was complete. Some just give you the winding mechanism and nothing else. I also needed the bracket for hanging an alloy wheel instead of putting it in the garage prior to repair once the spare had been fitted. Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bubblyboy

Bubblyboy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 285
Exp
Since August 2017
Fitted mine a few weeks ago and it did make a clicking sound as it reached its’ full height. Also, there is a yellow maker which must show in the ‘window’ when this point is reached. If it does not show in the window it is not high enough. States this in the handbook. Mike
Hi, thanks for your reply, I think that we must have fitted different carriers as I'm not aware of a "window" to view on mine.. I fitted this one that I got from Desira Fiat... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Duc...205094?hash=item1c87c95d66:g:w78AAOSwXeJYMDbl .. It just seems to wind up till a stop and I have to assume that its fully up..

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Hi again. Mine is more like the £114 one. Came complete. It says for 2016/17 so there may be a difference. Picture is from 2017 manual. Mike

8EF128F4-7ACE-4F09-A7A5-2DC37B05D9EE.jpeg

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
I wind mine up fully, then check after long journey, no problems todate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bubblyboy

Bubblyboy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 285
Exp
Since August 2017
Hi again. Mine is more like the £114 one. Came complete. It says for 2016/17 so there may be a difference. Picture is from 2017 manual. Mike

View attachment 223401
Thanks so much for the info and pic Tugger! I have just checked mine and it does indeed have that little "window" and I can see that its fully retracted! Heavens knows why I didn't notice it before, my only excuse being that I had no fitting instructions or operating instructions to refer to. Many thanks again for your help and I can now rest easy! :)

Upvote 0

Coroda

Free Member
Nov 29, 2017
Funster No
Hi Ex Caravan Tugger, i have pinged you a question regarding fitting of a carrier to a mobilvetta i hope!! ( may be user error on my behalf )
If anyone else has info on fitting spare carrier to the Mobilvetta Teckno Line ( heavy duty chasiss ) all info gratefully received.
Regards

Upvote 0

beabug

Free Member
Oct 24, 2018
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Ex Caravan Tugger, i have pinged you a question regarding fitting of a carrier to a mobilvetta i hope!! ( may be user error on my behalf )
If anyone else has info on fitting spare carrier to the Mobilvetta Teckno Line ( heavy duty chasiss ) all info gratefully received.
Regards
I have a new Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85 and will be fitting a Fiat Ducato Spare Wheel Carrier tomorrow. I will keep you posted should you still require info.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My 2007 Ducato didn't have a spare wheel carrier. It took me a long time to find someone selling the kit at a reasonable price (that was missing all the bolts, the instructions and the winding tool).

Thanks so much for the info and pic Tugger! I have just checked mine and it does indeed have that little "window" and I can see that its fully retracted! Heavens knows why I didn't notice it before, my only excuse being that I had no fitting instructions or operating instructions to refer to. Many thanks again for your help and I can now rest easy! :)

I didn't spot the 'window' with the yellow indicator on mine either. Neither did my Dad on his Ducato. It's not obvious.

Just a note about where the winder unit attaches. I've used long bolts that go all the way through the holes in the chassis rail. It was only when I was doing it up that I realised that I couldn't bolt it up very tight or I'd crush the rail. I'm using nylock nuts, so it shouldn't come undone. I'm not exactly sure how it'd be fitted if it was a factory fit.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
My 2007 Ducato didn't have a spare wheel carrier. It took me a long time to find someone selling the kit at a reasonable price (that was missing all the bolts, the instructions and the winding tool).

I didn't spot the 'window' with the yellow indicator on mine either. Neither did my Dad on his Ducato. It's not obvious.

Just a note about where the winder unit attaches. I've used long bolts that go all the way through the holes in the chassis rail. It was only when I was doing it up that I realised that I couldn't bolt it up very tight or I'd crush the rail. I'm using nylock nuts, so it shouldn't come undone. I'm not exactly sure how it'd be fitted if it was a factory fit.
Hi. You will need to use rivnuts. You will see hexagonal ‘holes’ on the chassis. Rivnuts are internally threaded nuts which are tightened so they expand into the ‘hole’. Bolts are then screwed in to hold the winder assembly. Use YouTube to explain better. I will look up the video I used to show me how to fit them. Mike

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
In YouTube, type in “How Rivet Nuts Work”. It explains brilliantly what they are and how they work. Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back