Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Dutchy,

To be blunt our customers dont have these problems as we demonstrate to them how to drive the vans.

Its let clutch out first until it engages fully and then use accelerator, not loads of welly and let the clutch slip and thats a fact.

Sorry I speak as I find and I do not have a problem neither do the staff reversing into tight spaces on the forecourt going uphill.

Peter

In an ideal world we wouldn't slip the clutch, but where I park at home I have to, it's such a tight space I have to reverse into with a wall six inches to the left and a garage behind. If I used your method there Peter I would have smashed it to pieces many times over.:RollEyes:

It's good to hear that your customers dont get any judder, it must be us others then that only seem to get it. Does the STIG demonstrate at your gaff on how to reverse properly?:whatthe:

steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
If these vans are as easy to reverse as Peter claims, why are Fiat spending so much on rectification work?
Must be cheaper to send all the poor driver 'judder' owners to JCM for lessons on driving properly!
Why are all the bad drivers attracted to Fiat based motorhomes?

I do know of one Sevel owner whose van has vanished following an engineers report but they wont tell me why because of a gagging clause in their settlement.

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
As I said, I will be keeping my eye on the situation so far I have not experienced juddering but if I do get any problems I will be the first to let Peter ( the dealer) know and then you lot who seem to have loads and loads of information on this problem because I AM NO SHRINKING VIOLET ..I have won more Court cases than I have lost.:shout: this is my first ! all thanks to the person who posted "how do you do it"

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Read the article in caravan Club mag July which says that Peugeot have just come clean and said that the gear ratios on the base van are not up to the job of driving a motorhome - they are suffering from same complaints as Fiat!!! Steer clear.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Judder

Not for the first time, called to see the fiat dealer in France about the reverse gear (having to slip the clutch to reverse as it is to high of a gear, if you let your clutch out fully you (I) do not have full control going up a grassy lane/ with a slight slope tight both sides for about 1500m in reverse to park my motorhome every time I come home.
The first time I called at my Motorhome dealer in France...he said he only deals with caravan side you must go to a Fiat agent.....and gave me the address to go to....100miles from home, having spent half a day trying to find the dealer as his directions was for the wrong side of Amiens and asking many garages if they new the garage, we finally found the place...only to be told they would not do it as we are to far away and may have to travel many times while they try different items to try and find the problem.
He sent us to Arras 35 miles away.........We have now found a NEW Fiat dealer that has opened up quite close to us 10 miles away and are now doing Motorhomes.
Two weeks ago off we went to the new garage only to find they are on holiday.
So yesterday we tried again produced the letter from the motorhome agent
This is what they both said ( the motorhome agent and the garage owner) there is nothing wrong with the Fiat...YOU NEED TO INCREASE THE REVS TO REVERSE then you would not get the judder
(I thought I had told them it was to fast in reverse gear and had to slip the clutch and this is when you get the judder in the first place, to increase the revs would only make it faster!!!!! or am wrong am I going silly).
He then put my number on the VDU screen ( from the carte Grise...Logbook) linked to FIAT which said with my motorhome THERE IS NO PROBLEM AND NEEDS NO WORK TO BE DONE....both me and the wife said we have 42 years driving experience each and never had a clutch problem I think we would know that there was something wrong

This was said with a few raised voices and arms swinging (They like a bit of arm movement when you are in dispute, although he did look Italian...(Fiat, Lancia,Alfa Romao agent)

He then said I have a brand new motorhome (campingcar in French) outside go out and drive that in reverse and tell if that is the same...(this motor home was parked on a cliff edge 12" off the edge straight down it was parked so people could see it.......he was trusting ME........ OR WAS HE TESTING MY DRIVING SKILLS he said to reverse the camping and then put it back!!)...no it was not the same I could take my foot fully of the clutch it was slower in reverse.....the test he gave me....was on flat tarmac... with more room to watch both sides!!! not on grass on a slight incline...! not a true exact test?
it is going in on Saturday for its first service I would think he will try it himself............!!!!!!!?????

it travels forward like a dream......shame about the reverse....me I think it just needs a lower gear /cog............................and the first gear could do with being slighly higher.

From Mel in France

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
picked up m/h from workshop last wednesday 15th, having had new engine & g/box mountings fitted, the only noticible difference is the thump on start up has gone, not sure yet of any improvement with judder,

Eric

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
picked up m/h from workshop last wednesday 15th, having had new engine & g/box mountings fitted, the only noticible difference is the thump on start up has gone Eric

A very common statement.

Followed by "It still judders".

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have just booked my van in for new engine mounts, lower ratio reverse gear and a new damper on the 10th of August. I shall report back as soon as the work is done. The dealer has a long ramped access road for trials.

To respond to some of the above comments though, I side with JCM, it's not a huge problem, Okay, reverse is higher than 1st, but the 1st gear ratio is the most vicious I have ever driven. The new gear will still be slightly higher but that sounds about right. Yes I get juddering when reversing, but, driven carefully, it's not that bad. Or, at least, I have managed for over 10k miles since new and everything seems to be holding together (I once managed 160k in a Volvo towcar with the original clutch).

Before I retired part of my responsibilites included a fleet of 10 transits and 6 iveco's, 6 of the transits were long wheelbase and they shuddered in reverse. They were frequently reversed up a long ramp onto ferries. We did not consider this to be a major problem and had no maintenance history of premature clutch failure. All the drivers were professional drivers, that is the major part of their duties were driving. By and large they treated the vehicles with some respect.

I shall report back in four weeks as to the "interventions" Fiat have lined up for me.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back