MickHW

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1964
I have a Compass CV20 based on a 2019 Ducato and ( through what I consider to be a stupid design) I’ve ended up with a smashed rear door window on my 10 day old van
I opened the rear door to get our chairs out of the van and the wind caught the door and whipped it through 180 degs smashing the window against the corner of the van.
I’m at a loss as to why anyone would design something that is so easy to severely damage and then fail to give adequate warnings.
My previous van, also on a Ducato, never suffered this problem because the window was a different make and didn’t contact the corner of the van when fully open.
The worst part is that this particular converter makes a big sales pitch about the ‘fully opening barn doors’ but I can't find a bit that says ‘except in windy conditions’.

My question is :- Does anyone know of a opening limiter strap/device that would prevent the doors from opening more than 90 degs or for that matter any suggestions that could solve this problem?
Unfortunately, the Fiat door restraints only do just that. Restrain. They don’t stop it.

This is only our second rear lounge configuration and I love relaxing in it overlooking the beach/mountains/river. Howeve, I will be constantly on edge now watching for leaves rustling excessively prompting me to leap out and shut the doors.
I hope some knowledgeable person out there can help.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
You are not the only one ,as The Autosleeper Owner Club has had a lot of reports of new pvc vans have not had the restrictors fitted 90/180 degrees limiter . What a stupid omission imagine a van delivering and the doors blowback hitting some body on the pavement or passing traffic.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
we have stays fitted to our adria twin, i will find the link i put on with pics.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Womo tuning.de have a door restraint/limiter.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The rear doors on ours only open 90 degrees unless the button is pushed to open the doors out 180 degrees. Or is the wind so strong it can override the safety button

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Yes the wind will easily break the mechanism, just give it a gentle push and the button pops.
They break quite easily.
The best solutions are a metal runner that needs to be pulled in such a way to release it to open 180°.
The new ford transits have these rather than the stupid push buttons.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The riot van has the metal runners and a massive leather strip in case that fails. In fact, all the doors have significant reinforcement against rioters.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a basic check strap would be the most simple solution

Join us or log in to post a reply.