Ducato Re-map (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2019
Epsom, Surrey
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Has anyone had a re-map to their 2.3 Ducato with comfortmatic gearbox?
I have had re-maps to many of my cars and vans in the past and have been very impressed with the increase in power and torque and slight improvement in fuel consumption.
Before I book in our newly acquired 2014 Carthago, coach built, 4250kg with comfortmatic for a re-map, I just wondered if it would have any effect on the auto gear change.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
There is a lot of people who have remapped their 2.3 Ducato's but I can't remember any particular Auto one's.

<Broken link removed>

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
What I don’t understand is: If a remap improves performance,whilst also improving mpg,why don’t we all do it?

And....

If its so good,why don’t manufacturers build it in to the vehicles on day one?

Seems too good to be true.

What are the drawbacks?

Maybe the clutch,gearbox,and brakes aren’t up to it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Mr Engine manufacturer creates a tune suitable to not blow up the engine in multiple geographies (ie, very very conservative), think Dubai in summer Vs Helsinki in winter, they also cater for extremes in altitud. Most tuners just take some of the safety margin out! Diesel is normally a case of either cranking up the injector pressure or just adding more Fuel. More power costs more fuel, so if you use the power you’re not going to get better economy (Petrol engines are V different though, you could lean out the cruise area’s in the tune whilst still gaining more top end power).
Biggest issue though is do you trust someone not to cock it up and give you a ticking time bomb!

Jim

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Manufacturers often offer a range of engine performances at different price points. Often all/most of the main components are the same.
I had an Audi A4 TDI chipped By 40hp. It was a good improvement without any detriment.
Certainly something I would do.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
What I don’t understand is: If a remap improves performance,whilst also improving mpg,why don’t we all do it?

And If its so good,why don’t manufacturers build it in to the vehicles on day one?

Seems too good to be true.

Manufacturers must supply vehicles that comply with the law. Thats the law, they have no choice.

For example they must satisfy criteria such as emissions.

By prioritising emissions the engine might be less fuel efficient, deliver poorer performance or not operate so well (e.g. be snatchy or have whar are known as flat spots).

The point is that engines can be tuned in many ways depending on one's priority. The law prioritises low emissions and that's what manufacturers deliver.

However, if your priority is not emissions but stronger and smoother acceleration from low speeds, or better fuel economy then the engine can ge re-tuned to deliver that instead.

It's not too good to he true, rather it's a matter of what your priority is and having an engine tune that meets your requirements.

The downside to these after market tuned is they might no longer satisfy the emissions regulations.

As the saying goes, you pay your money and take your choice.

Rex Mac

Free Member
Jul 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I will be watching this thread with some degree of interest. Just a few days ago I received a letter from MB in respect of having my car recalled to be re-mapped in order to comply with a request from the German Federal Motor Transport Authority.

Apparently the new software update will not have any effect on fuel consumption, emissions, power output or torque delivery.

Before you ask, yes, I have been approached by the eager beaver legal team trying to make money on the back of the VW fiasco.

I am more than impressed with my choice. I choose not to "cash in" I chose a better brand over my former misplaced loyalty to Jaguar.

If I notice any difference in performance following the recall update I'll let you know.

All the best and stay safe, Rex

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Has anyone had a re-map to their 2.3 Ducato with comfortmatic gearbox?
I have had re-maps to many of my cars and vans in the past and have been very impressed with the increase in power and torque and slight improvement in fuel consumption.
Before I book in our newly acquired 2014 Carthago, coach built, 4250kg with comfortmatic for a re-map, I just wondered if it would have any effect on the auto gear change.
We had ours done three years ago..
Always thought a 2.3 in a five and half ton truck was bloody stupid.
Had it mapped for more torque at 2000 rpm so no longer chasing gears all the time
As a bonus we average almost 3mpg more
Before it was done 19.5mpg was the norm, since getting it done 22.,2 is the average, and that is fully freighted
If I stopped driving it like I stole it ( I do sometimes ) I can squeeze it up to24mpg

Tip.. Do not go by the on board computer.. Work it out between fills

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Had my 1.0.Ecoboost Fiesta done and well impressed, better midrange and top end power with little or no effect on fuel usage, will be looking at my Transit based MH at some point as Superchips guarantee better fuel comsumption with diesel

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
A few wise words from our very own tried & tested Dave Newell.(y)
He didn't mention one Very Important point, any remap or tuning box will invalidate your Fiat Warranty, and apparently (dont shoot the messenger here) even if removed they can tell the engine has worked outside its "normal" parameters.
I am happy with the 2.3 ltr multi jet 2 150bhp, just kick down a gear or two on hills when needed, 25-27MPG average on normal journeys.

LES

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
And don’t forget to tell your insurance company.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i had a tuning box fitted (insurance increased slightly) and just leave it at the middle setting, not worked out if it's costing or saving money but it runs really well. I will have a play with it next year and start to experiment with the settings and as it's Bluetooth I don't need to open the bonnet to do so !!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am guessing that it sacrifices the emissions control which is used to achieve Euro 6 or whatever standard the manufacturer struggled to achieve by carefully balancing performance against other requirements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back