Ducato Re map (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There is not a placebo effect with a remap. Actual and real changes are made or added to the ECU that controls the parameters of the engine and more importantly that Turbo.
Manufacturers send vehicles out mapped as they are because they have strict parameters to stick to. For instance noise tests and drive by noise tests and emissions that are checked at given points in the Rev range .

In order to comply with these tests and pass them the mapping is written in a way that they pass .

Aftermarket mapping companies are at liberty to completely ignore those parameters . So they are able to set the tourqe curve far steeper and flatter . For instance most engines have a dip in the tourqe at about 3500 RPM . This is to comply with a measured check at about the point in the Rev range. So at that point the boost and or the fuel settings are mapped so the engine complies

Given a free hand the manufacturer would send the vehicles out with the same mapping as the aftermarket but they can't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There is not a placebo effect with a remap. Actual and real changes are made or added to the ECU that controls the parameters of the engine and more importantly that Turbo.
Manufacturers send vehicles out mapped as they are because they have strict parameters to stick to. For instance noise tests and drive by noise tests and emissions that are checked at given points in the Rev range .

In order to comply with these tests and pass them the mapping is written in a way that they pass .

Aftermarket mapping companies are at liberty to completely ignore those parameters . So they are able to set the tourqe curve far steeper and flatter . For instance most engines have a dip in the tourqe at about 3500 RPM . This is to comply with a measured check at about the point in the Rev range. So at that point the boost and or the fuel settings are mapped so the engine complies

Given a free hand the manufacturer would send the vehicles out with the same mapping as the aftermarket but they can't.
Spot on Charlie. I have no issues at all with remapping a vehicle. It has made my car even more awesomely easy to drive and the insurance didn't load the policy either when I told them (they added a bit for the Spires exhaust though.....)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Spot on Charlie. I have no issues at all with remapping a vehicle. It has made my car even more awesomely easy to drive and the insurance didn't load the policy either when I told them (they added a bit for the Spires exhaust though.....)

For those unfamiliar with Spires they are largely dedicated Jaguar tuners . My old XF 3.0 S with its twin turbo diesel was from the factory 272 BHP with 600Nm of tourqe . After settling by Spires and live mapping it was 315BHP and 690Nm of tourqe. That was not only a very quick car but the wave of tourqe was relentless.. Unfortunately my wife cannot get into cars like that now so I had to part with it ...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
For those unfamiliar with Spires they are largely dedicated Jaguar tuners . My old XF 3.0 S with its twin turbo diesel was from the factory 272 BHP with 600Nm of tourqe . After settling by Spires and live mapping it was 315BHP and 690Nm of tourqe. That was not only a very quick car but the wave of tourqe was relentless.. Unfortunately my wife cannot get into cars like that now so I had to part with it ...
That is such a shame...... they aren't cheap, but about the best around

OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hi Mark I asked the same question in another thread after a long think and weighing up all the replies I received, for and against and then driving the vehicle back from Wales after purchace I decided not to go with it as I'm not in that much of a hurry to get there and it seemed to drive OK without too many change downs when meeting a hill or an incline, and also there is not much proof out there it can help with fuel consumption, I think it's mostly about drivability rather than fuel economy but I might be wrong, and as my vehicle does roughly 24-25 to the gallon and thats before I load it up, I don't want it to get any worse.
Best Wishes Tony
Hi Tony.
Yes as you say I was interested in just that bit more pulling power on hills more than anything else.

But not at the risk of knackered clutch etc.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Tony.
Yes as you say I was interested in just that bit more pulling power on hills more than anything else.

But not at the risk of knackered clutch etc.

If you go to a reputable company they normally give you a 30 day money back guarantee, that way you can make a decision without the worry.

Cheyenne man

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Immingham, n,e lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 635
Exp
Why were you thinking of a remap? Is it a bit sluggish on hills ? Mine is too but I think I'll just accept it.
I did wonder if the turbo was working at one time but apparently it common to this engine so now I don't worry about it.
Just have to be in the correct lane for hills to fit in with hgv's and not hold anyone up !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had my hymer b584 done, bags more power, bags more fuel, bags more cash on a new clutch.
Fuel consumption went from 28 mpg down to 22 mpg, and not through heavy right foot, clutch kept slipping with only 18k on the clock so replaced it £500.
So bad I contacted company who remapped it to replace original mapping and no money returned.
Needless to say my Burstner on the X250 will definitely not be going down that road..
Maybe I was unlucky.
Keith

Plus 1

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I would be interested in having some feedback on mapping for my 2005 Peugeot boxer HDI .do they suffer from the same clutch problems as the fiat seems to .?? Roy

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
No idea what the engine is ,just thought it was a Peugeot,shows just what a thicko I am ..haha

Many Peugeot's have Ford engines - which are generally far more suitable for remapping i.m.e. :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Many Peugeot's have Ford engines - which are generally far more suitable for remapping i.m.e. :)

The later Puma engines in the X250s have ECUs that in most cases cannot be remapped. Shame cos it's a strong bulletproof lump with a strong clutch set up that can easily handle a lot more power and Tourque .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I will have a look tomorrow when I check the oil ,,does it actually say Ford on the engine ??

Somewhere in the engine bay you will find a wee sticker with puma written on it..

Ford an Peugeot have a long standing partnership in the manufacturing and design of Diesel engines .. Peugeot used to be the best Diesel engines fitted to passenger cars and light vans. They went into partnership and between them build very good engines.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The later Puma engines in the X250s have ECUs that in most cases cannot be remapped. Shame cos it's a strong bulletproof lump with a strong clutch set up that can easily handle a lot more power and Tourque .

Up to 2007 at least ? . . . should be ok for a Superchips remap i.m.o.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I mapped my previous 2008 130 bhp Peugeot boxer with the ford engine in.
It has a vieston ecu which can be done either by the obd port or direct onto the Ecu
30 bhp gain and around 5 mpg better off.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Th
I mapped my previous 2008 130 bhp Peugeot boxer with the ford engine in.
It has a vieston ecu which can be done either by the obd port or direct onto the Ecu
30 bhp gain and around 5 mpg better off.

The later the vehicle the less chance of being able to map it . Have used "Vantuner" for years doing the business vans which are all Fords. Asked Martin about doing our 130 and he informed me of the above. (y)

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Th

The later the vehicle the less chance of being able to map it . Have used "Vantuner" for years doing the business vans which are all Fords. Asked Martin about doing our 130 and he informed me of the above. (y)
Have you still got the van Charlie??

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Is it the one in your picture??

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Oh ok, uses the ford ecu continental SID 208 which is also on the transits. Can do the fords no problem but nobody has done the protocols for the Peugeots using the same ecu. (Annoying lol). I even removed one and tried to do it as a ford and it still didn't want to know.
I have a customer with a Bailey Motorhome that wants his doing but I can't do. He's contemplating a tuning box for it so I'll have to get him one of those if he goes for it.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Oh ok, uses the ford ecu continental SID 208 which is also on the transits. Can do the fords no problem but nobody has done the protocols for the Peugeots using the same ecu. (Annoying lol). I even removed one and tried to do it as a ford and it still didn't want to know.
I have a customer with a Bailey Motorhome that wants his doing but I can't do. He's contemplating a tuning box for it so I'll have to get him one of those if he goes for it.

Tony to be honest our van does not really need more power. It goes very well indeed. But as a fan of remapping I would definitely have had it done.

Not a fan of piggy back boxes at all..

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I don't recommend the plug in boxes either Charlie but that's all on offer at the moment so he's thinking about it. I'll let you know if they get the ecu protocol for the Peugeots sorted mate.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
just read all of this and booked my 2005 Fiat Ducato 2l 85 bhp in for a remap. apparently its the same engine as the 100bhp one so the remap changes it to that and then a wee bit more. Quantum's local agent. Bosch ECU so done via remap, no extra chips or anything. finger's crossed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back