Ducato PVC sliding door lubrication? (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The sliding side door on our Fiat Ducato PVC has become very stiff & squeaks & squeals. As far as I can tell, it is the runner in the middle of the door that is the problem. This appears to be a rubber or plastic wheel running on a stainless steel runner. The whole assembly is mounted on a pivot that rotates through about 90 degrees as the door moves out from the side of the van & begins to move rearwards.

It is difficult to tell if it's just the wheel that is the problem, or if the pivot may also be stiff. It is inclined to jam just as the door has moved out & starts to go backwards, but if the wheel is sticking, this may be what it hindering the rotation too.

Anyone had similar problems & if so, what was the cure? Given the mix of materials & the fact that the runner is exposed, so getting it greasy doesn't seem to be the right option, I'm wondering what, if anything, can be used as a lubricant.

As I'd like to keep this visible & therefore out of the Belly Locker, please resist the obvious temptations at least until after I've had the sensible answer. :D:D :whistle:

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I picked up a can of the Thetford silicon lubricant relatively cheaply and have found that it does the job on all sorts of things and is safe on pretty much all materials.

Although not used on your particular problem I've successfully used it on a sticking roof light, tambour shower door, loo seals, sticking cupboard catches and probably several other things that I've forgotten.

I suspect other silicon lubes will do the same sort of thing.

There - you've had a sensible answer, now I await everyone else's lube jokes;)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Ah, well, I've got some of that, so I could give it a try.

Better wait a decent interval in case someone appears to say they used it & it made the door fall off, but it sounds a sensible option - thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
@Stroppy Bird Immediate feedback, having just completed the job, is that the door now slides beautifully. (y):cool: It still needs a good slam to fully latch, but that wasn't the problem I was trying to solve.

We will see how long it lasts & whether it goes sticky & acts as a dust magnet.

:thanks3:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was going to suggest silicon spray, I use it on our sliding door, but be aware the fix doesn't last very long. You will need to redo it soon.

But the silicon spray also does the loo sliding valve as well so it is an essential extra for us. :)

Unfortunately, it has no effect on knees and hips. :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Silicon spray was what I used...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When I used silicon lubricant on my door, it worked great for about a week, but then the door fell off.

Something to do with the silicon reacting to the door seals or something.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
You will be hearing from my solicitor. Negligence claim for not responding to my post #3 in a timely manner. :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And another option is the red grease used to assemble brake parts.. It is specifically for use on rubber parts but does not just wash off stuff !

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Thanks for the various suggestions. I'd got some silicon spray, so tried it first & after a week I can report that it's still working & doesn't seem to be attracting dirt.

Main reason for the update is to apologise for not responding sooner to the other helpful hints (other than the one from Chris :D). For some reason they didn't show up a first. Might have had something to do with swapping between phone & laptop, although that isn't usually a problem.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Not quite a 300 yr old thread but i was looking up which was the most appropriate for each task and came across this so heres my 3 pennyworth.
Sliding door runner as op and my bongo :ptfe spray preffered or silicone spraY
Door, bonnet tailgate hinges metal to metal contact : Li :;white grease spray
Lock catches hinges with plastic bits :silicone spray.
In side of locks :graphite
Gas struts : do not lubricate, polish shafts with clean non printed paPer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back