Ducato platform cabs delivery delays. (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If anyone has ordered a new MH on the Ducato base I am advised from my local Iveco / Fiat dealer that there is currently a nine month wait for these vehicles. This applies to the Platform cab on which most coachbuilts are made.

Perhaps this is why new orders are a long time coming!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would think that the motorhome manufacturers had their orders in a long time ago for the bulk of their stuff, so it is likely to be just those requiring non-standard base vehicle extras that will have the long wait ... totally bonkers though!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not many Motorhomes use the platform cab these days, most use the camper chassis or the cab with an Al-Ko bolted on.
As Mel says they will have been pre- ordered for JIT delivery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chopsticks

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Shire Phoenix 2XL
Exp
Newbie!
Ordered a Shire Phoenix 2XL, which is built on a Fiat Ducato.
Spoke to the lovely people at Shire yesterday and they're experiencing real problems with ordering Fiat vans.
Fiat won't give them any answers as to what the problem/delay is and can't give any idea as to how long they'll have to wait.
Soooo frustrating!:mad:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Isn't the Sevel franchise ending in 2019? Thought I read it somewhere, will probably be renewed, but maybe a new model will be produced.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just wondering if they have hit any problems achieving the new Euro 6D emissions tests, which come in from September 2019 fot light commercials.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Just wondering if they have hit any problems achieving the new Euro 6D emissions tests, which come in from September 2019 fot light commercials.
I think this is the most likely
EGR alone will struggle with 6D
Here comes ad -blue? :rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would expect so as we are now well in to the "all smoke & mirrors" region.

Chopsticks

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Shire Phoenix 2XL
Exp
Newbie!
Thank you all - Your replies all confirm what Shire suspect is going on but Fiat's silence is deafening.....

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
I agree with Pausim, I think the delay is more due to the emissions changes that take affect later this year

https://www.fiat.co.uk/certification-wltp

The emissions regulation is going from NEDC to WLTP rules, given how long it takes to convert a motorhome don’t be surprised if some customers are asked to register their new van before they actually take it. The DVLA insist that vehicles must be registered by certain dates.
Many manufacturers are struggling to supply certain product until later in the year.
Last year it affected cars and this year its the vans.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Ducato, Relay & Boxer are the same van from Fiat, Citroen & Peugeot, made on the same line in the same factory with the same body. Citroen were quoting build dates in June (delivery August) for Relay vans ordered in January, and Peugeot were quoting September deliveries for Boxer vans in solid colours, and 4-6 weeks after that for metallics, again, for orders placed in January. Reason given was that "they" were moving the factory.

Doesn't seem unreasonable that chassis cabs are subject to similar delays for the same reason.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I was talking to a main Fiat dealer in December and was told they can't presently order new Ducato's in a metallic colour.

At the time I assumed this was just sales talk and he wanted me to buy one off the forecourt, but since then I've heard quite a few long wait stories on a few self-build forums.

Also remember a thread here a while back where a converter couldn't get the vans and was using Sprinters? Was it IH?

Not ready to order yet. Hopefully it will change soon.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Also remember a thread here a while back where a converter couldn't get the vans and was using Sprinters? Was it IH?

I can recall chatting with a few people at the NEC in October who said IH were having big issues with its Fiat delivery chain.

That said, it looks like the biggies such as Globecar have had the same issue too so it's not just the wee chaps having the problem.

Chopsticks

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Shire Phoenix 2XL
Exp
Newbie!
We've waited years for it to be the 'right' time to place an order for our ideal motor home, so I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer, eh?!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I agree with Pausim, I think the delay is more due to the emissions changes that take affect later this year

https://www.fiat.co.uk/certification-wltp

The emissions regulation is going from NEDC to WLTP rules, given how long it takes to convert a motorhome don’t be surprised if some customers are asked to register their new van before they actually take it. The DVLA insist that vehicles must be registered by certain dates.
Many manufacturers are struggling to supply certain product until later in the year.
Last year it affected cars and this year its the vans.

but it looks like these new tests are for passenger cars, did not see any mention of vans or motor homes/conversions?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
There are rumours/spy shots of a new model next year. Seems unlikely they would slow production on the current version though for this reason, so likely a cock-up with new factory?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
There are rumours/spy shots of a new model next year. Seems unlikely they would slow production on the current version though for this reason, so likely a cock-up with new factory?
Found this
2019_02_20_13.54.38.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back