Ducato instrument cluster (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi, We`ve just had a new instrument cluster fitted by a Fiat main dealer to our 2013 Auto trail Apache.
For some reason they don`t know the Day time running amber light is now on, they can`t find anything on the Fiat software to switch this off.
Could this be an Autotrail software addition?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi, We`ve just had a new instrument cluster fitted by a Fiat main dealer to our 2013 Auto trail Apache.
For some reason they don`t know the Day time running amber light is now on, they can`t find anything on the Fiat software to switch this off.
Not really sure what you mean by "Day time running amber light" but doubt it will be an Auto-trail modification. We had our cluster replaced twice (the standard glowing bulb fault) in our 2013 Savannah and both came directly from Fiat who wouldn't hold AT dedicated clusters.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Hi guys, do you mean the orange/Amber backlight on the cluster?

Cheers,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Hi guys, do you mean the orange/Amber backlight on the cluster?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, The warning light that is on is an orange light symbol in the centre of the cluster, it come with a message, "Check Day Time Running lights". apparently when plugged into the computer the advice is their is an error in the connection or a bulb is out, obviously not as the Day time lights are on.

The other light is the engine management symbol, this is saying the DPF is almost full and needs a regen, as the engine has only done 17,000 miles mostly motorway I can`t see the filter being the problem it will more likely be the sensor.
The problem I face like everyone else is a garage won`t go through the process of elimination by trying a different sensor, they will fit a new sensor and if that doesn`t work they will move on to the next part, unfortunately you will have paid to have the sensor changed when it wasn`t the faulty part.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2013 Fiat would not have the lights fitted as standard as it was the 2014 changeover when the lights became obligatory. Disabling the warning permanently would do the trick or a call for advice from AutoTrail.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It maybe an update to the software that has caused the problem. I removed the FIAT UConnect5 Radio and finished up with the milage indicator flashing. Took ages down at the Fiat Professional Garage to work out why. You have to tell the Fiat Ducato ECU that it's not got a radio which then means the steering wheel controls don't work. If you get them working then you cannot change the date and time because thats done by the radio. Everything is so integrated and so precise once they change the software anything can happen. You will have to get them to turn off the warning in the software. It is not possible to go backwards with the software once it's in it's in.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
2013 Fiat would not have the lights fitted as standard as it was the 2014 changeover when the lights became obligatory. Disabling the warning permanently would do the trick or a call for advice from AutoTrail.
That was my understanding as well. Only the Frontier range had DRL's fitted as standard on 2013 models but looking at @robnchris avatar it does seems to have them fitted. And he has advised they are working!
From memory (but that goes for nothing!), @robnchris you may be able to turn on \ off the DRL's in the multi-function display settings. Can you? If you can, does it impact the warning light?

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp

That was my understanding as well. Only the Frontier range had DRL's fitted as standard on 2013 models but looking at @robnchris avatar it does seems to have them fitted. And he has advised they are working!
From memory (but that goes for nothing!), @robnchris you may be able to turn on \ off the DRL's in the multi-function display settings. Can you? If you can, does it impact the warning light?

Thanks for comments guys, first off, ours is a 2013 Apache, built in June 2013 and it does have the 6 cluster day time running lights as fitted by Autotrail as standard.

Yes they are working just fine and up until the new instrument cluster was fitted they worked without the error message and orange warning symbol.
Yes you can turn off the day time running lights in the multi-function settings and as expected when this is set to OFF we don`t get a warning message or light symbol.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
When the instrument cluster is replaced, unless it is the original unit being refitted following a repair, it has to be programmed to the vehicle. This is done with Fiat diagnostic software by writing the specification of the vehicle back into the body computer. I am guessing that because the DRLs are not Fiat factory fitted units, the information on their existence has not been written back into the ECU following the cluster replacement. Whether this is something that the Fiat dealer can do in the circumstances I'm not sure. It could depend on how Autotrail fitted them. You may need to ask Autotrail for advice in the first instance, as they probably configured the vehicle to enable them initially. The vehicle is possibly currently seeing the lamps as a fault when they are switched on because it does not believe that it has DRLs fitted since the realignment of the body computer. I may be wrong, as I would not have expected the menu option to disable them to be present in that case, but in any event it seems likely to be a discrepancy due to the reprogramming and the lights having not benn part of the original factory specification.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
My suspicions would that they've replaced one duff unit for another....:cool:

No not the case, The new instrument cluster is all ok, the new cluster has been updated with the Fiat software, the daytime running lights can be found in the section "Service News" the error code there is faulty connection on left hand light, all connections have been checked and found to be ok.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I may be wrong, as I would not have expected the menu option to disable them to be present in that case, but in any event it seems likely to be a discrepancy due to the reprogramming and the lights having not benn part of the original factory specification.

Would the DRL's not be a standard factory fit by Fiat and not an aftermarket modification by Auto-trail. Think ab bodywork was changed by Fiat during 2013 to meet incoming regulation changes.
We've had the cluster replaced twice in our 2013 Auto-trail Savannah under warranty and was a "while you wait" job including a reprogramme of the software which reset the mileage, etc. In neither case did we have warning light issues.

upload_2017-8-26_7-34-21.png

upload_2017-8-26_7-32-42.png

Yes they are working just fine and up until the new instrument cluster was fitted they worked without the error message and orange warning symbol.
Yes you can turn off the day time running lights in the multi-function settings and as expected when this is set to OFF we don`t get a warning message or light symbol.

Which leads me to believe, and confirming your following post, the issue is not likely to be with the cluster but the DRL wiring or the DRLs themselves. Or could it be they've reprogrammed with software for the previous non-DRL 2013 vehicle build (says he clutching straws!)? The picture above is from the 2013 Apache brochure so the change happened during that calendar year with yours probably a first 2014MY build.
Has the garage "broken" the electrical connections and then reconnected them? Could it be dirty \ oxidisation? Or a spray with WD40 (see following)
Also a comment on Fiat Forum, possible engine water damp issue, a known issue with the scuttle drain pipe discharging on the engine -
+++++
But again after rain or washing the van,
I'm getting on startup a Bulb out warning light, and the display says "check running lights"
+++++

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Would the DRL's not be a standard factory fit by Fiat and not an aftermarket modification by Auto-trail. Think ab bodywork was changed by Fiat during 2013 to meet incoming regulation changes.
We've had the cluster replaced twice in our 2013 Auto-trail Savannah under warranty and was a "while you wait" job including a reprogramme of the software which reset the mileage, etc. In neither case did we have warning light issues.

View attachment 181977

View attachment 181974

Which leads me to believe, and confirming your following post, the issue is not likely to be with the cluster but the DRL wiring or the DRLs themselves. Or could it be they've reprogrammed with software for the previous non-DRL 2013 vehicle build (says he clutching straws!)? The picture above is from the 2013 Apache brochure so the change happened during that calendar year with yours probably a first 2014MY build.
Has the garage "broken" the electrical connections and then reconnected them? Could it be dirty \ oxidisation? Or a spray with WD40 (see following)
Also a comment on Fiat Forum, possible engine water damp issue, a known issue with the scuttle drain pipe discharging on the engine -
+++++
But again after rain or washing the van,
I'm getting on startup a Bulb out warning light, and the display says "check running lights"
+++++

Hi, The garage certainly hasn`t done anything untoward with the DRL, we checked the connections and all are good, no corrosion or damp, by the way I did fit another drain into in the scuttle that drains out through a pipe below the engine, the joint in the scuttle has been sealed so no water drips onto the the engine.

This is our Apache.

apache 100.jpg

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If the FIAT Garage that did the work hooked it up to their computer system it will have had the software upgraded to the latest version. From past experience that is what they do. They just plug it in and let it get on with it. Any bugs that have been found are corrected even the ones you didn't know about. DRL were not causing a problem before the change then it has to be a software switch that decides what happens. Perhaps it's just a case of selecting the right DRL they do fit different ones. As I said earlier we had troubles with the radio and if it's taken out then the ECU is not happy and milage flashes as a warning that the CanBus has detected a fault. So if the software can check and see if a radio is present then it is probably checking the DRL and getting an error of some sort back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back