Ducato heater matrix replacement (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
643D7FBA-C093-46C0-9B80-886E6C18DB36.jpeg
HELP!!
I have a 2.8jtd, 2003 model. My heater matrix has a slight leak & I am in the process of TRYING to change it. I have almost dismantled the complete dash & undone every bolt/screw on the matrix I can find. It’s moving a bit but I cannot get it to drop.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Many thanks in advance as I’m almost at the stage of giving up.

Reactions: 68c

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sorry I can't help having never attempted to replace a matrix in a ducato.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baggydave
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Yes hoses disconnected & plastic surround removed.
I’ve just has a fresh look this morning & have concluded that it’s not possible!
Unless I cut the dash in two & take the cross member off. That’s a step too far for me.
I’ll use some k-seal & hope it stays sealed.

Thanks for the reply’s.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you looked on youtube?
I've see reports before of people doing it so it must be oossible, sorry can't remember where I saw it.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I've replaced one twice on a LHD Ducato 1995, and didn't strip that much dash off? I think there is metal bracket you need to bend out the way before the matrix can be removed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My thoughts are the dash will be fitted as a complete pre-built unit on the production line and the matrix will either be fitted to the bulkhead or the back of the dash BEFORE final assembly.
Common practise on car production lines.
In other words the whole dash needs removing.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Yes hoses disconnected & plastic surround removed.
I’ve just has a fresh look this morning & have concluded that it’s not possible!
Unless I cut the dash in two & take the cross member off. That’s a step too far for me.

Thanks for the reply’s.
I'd be very reluctant to use any form of sealant as it often leads to other problems and you get back to removing matrix. Never removed a Ducato matrix but with many I have done it's basically sit in drivers seat and remove everything in front of you except screen. Persevere and as others suggest you tube and Fiat forum.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
[QUOTE}
.[/QUOTE]
I put K seal in my x250 that had a leaking matrix, i put 2 bottles in and it has been fine for over 5 years

OP
OP
Baggydave
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi & thanks for all the advice.
I gave up & put it all back together. Thankfully everything works.
I bought some k seal from euro parts & so far all is well. No leaks at all even after a drive to wales, where we are now.

Fingers crossed.

Geobhoy

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay van 07
Exp
info only
Citroen Relay, 57 plate, I pre-checked the info re my matrix but it all seems to have been pre-2006.. mine is 2007, nothing from ANY you-tube, or forum ANYWHERE seems to give a definite answer, although Pappajohn from above seems the closest to what I'm finding.. there IS no shortcut!! the blower motor can NOT be separated from the full heater assembly, so too large to slip down, slide out, wiggle, jiggle or squeeze.. I have now removed the FULL dash-top, glove boxes etc. and am now looking to remove the strengthening support, which means the steering rack needs to drop down, and hopefully the removal of the crash bar will allow the full heater assembly to LIFT up and out, although it means the control wires for blower directions will be attached, I believe the assembly was IN when at the factory, then someone fits the crash bar AFTER .. by all means tell me another way, and make sure you describe the 07 onwards.. nothing else has..

OP
OP
Baggydave
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi geobhoy.
Please please keep us informed of how you get on.

I chickened out on doing mine & just used the kseal. So far all good.

Mines done over 100k now & im getting the clutch done when lockdown is over. It’s not causing problems except for the noisy thrust bearing.

dave

Geobhoy

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay van 07
Exp
info only
Latest on getting the matrix out and changed. all done now, as expected the re-enforcement bar DOES need to be unbolted, all wiring looms un-clipped, steering wheel and gear change columns unbolted and swung to floor, and a further support bar from floor to upper bar, it does not need to be taken out from the van, merely lifted off the brackets, sat on the passenger seat on one side, and sat on the dash at the drivers side, remove any bolts from the matrix supports, there should be loads of room to lift the full assembly out, once out the rad can be accessed by removing all the tiny screws on the heater box.. (leaving the stalks and wheel complete, (although bear in mind I cut my dash to facilitate this.. read previous posts) once unbolted it can be lifted high on the passenger side and sat on the front seat, leaving the driver side on the dash.. (NB, this is for a RHS steering wheel) you then unclip all the loom, remove the various plugs on the heater, and lift the complete assembly out in one section.. I hope to you-tube this soon, but I'd be happy to advise anyone wanting to tackle this VERY long job. 12 -14 hours one man, probably a full day if two men(or women, don't wanna appear sexist) AS stated there are NO short cuts.. just lots of nuts and bolts and screws.. Easy? no.. impossible? no.. but you DO need to be mechanically minded.. and knowledge of plug fitments, tools required, and access to tea is a boon, I would expect a garage to charge just under £1000.00, plus part at £83.00, I got mine from a company who produce this in copper/brass, not alloy, I hope to get this up on you-tube when I have time.. I reckon I could do the job again in maybe 10-11 hours on my own. and work that down to 8-9 hours

OP
OP
Baggydave
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Geobhoy well done. Your very brave & tenacious. I look forward to the utube video. Mines fine so far but you never know.

thanks again for the update.

Feb 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Citroen Relay, 57 plate, I pre-checked the info re my matrix but it all seems to have been pre-2006.. mine is 2007, nothing from ANY you-tube, or forum ANYWHERE seems to give a definite answer, although Pappajohn from above seems the closest to what I'm finding.. there IS no shortcut!! the blower motor can NOT be separated from the full heater assembly, so too large to slip down, slide out, wiggle, jiggle or squeeze.. I have now removed the FULL dash-top, glove boxes etc. and am now looking to remove the strengthening support, which means the steering rack needs to drop down, and hopefully the removal of the crash bar will allow the full heater assembly to LIFT up and out, although it means the control wires for blower directions will be attached, I believe the assembly was IN when at the factory, then someone fits the crash bar AFTER .. by all means tell me another way, and make sure you describe the 07 onwards.. nothing else has..
Hi there, did you ever manage to upload a vid to you tube? Im currently taking the dash out of my ducato 250, struggling to get the top dash lifted as it seems to be clipped in the middle nearest the windscreen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back