Ducato - headlights turn on one indicator (1 Viewer)

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
2003 2.8 JTD

When my headlights are off the indicators work normally. Also with sidelights.

But when I turn the headlights on, either dipped or full beam, the right hand indicator lights up (both the actual indicator and the green light on the dash). It doesn't blink like an indicator does when activated deliberately, it stays on permanently. Note that I'm not moving the stalk at all, just turning the knob on the end to switch on the lights.

In this state, if I try to use the indicators they work intermittently, but when switched off go back to the RHS on permanently with the lights.

I've never come across anything like this before. I guess it could be a faulty relay, though why it happens only when the headlights are on and not with the sidelights, I cannot fathom.

I think the fault could date back to when I was trying to diagnose an alarm problem and I pulled and tested every fuse I could find, and I may have disturbed one of the relays? (I hadn't used the van at night until recently, so the problem never showed until now).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
^^^^^^ earthing via indicator earth thus lighting indicator.

See it all the times on poorly maintained trailers.....one indicator flashes other lights as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I found that a few of the wires leading to the lights had been rubbing on the bodywork and lost their insulation, so were earthing. I taped around them and the problem seems to be cured.

I'm quite surprised how many loose wires there are hanging around those front lights - not a neat job at all by Hymer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no problem to tape them up as a temporary fix, but I would prefer to strip out the damaged wire, solder in new and heatshrink it to permanently seal it. seen too many temporary fixes lead to issues later if the wire corrodes or the tape loses its sticky. fix it right and fix it once

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back