LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The headlight switch is throwing a wobbler sometimes, it's fine on sidelights (1st position) but when I go to headlights (2nd position) either it works ok or it turns all the lights off, dash included.
The question is has anyone stripped the stalk down to clean the contacts and is it even possible?
Thanks in advance (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
There's not a lot to them Paul, take all the cowling off and have a good look and clean as necessary, could be a loose earth, if no good then another from a scrappy won't be much..

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I stripped down the indicator stalk on my Renault, the left hand indicator was on all the time unless you selected right turn. There were a couple of springs and cams, nothing too complicated, but don't strip it down over the shag pile carpet in the living room. All the contacts were great and the moving parts worked as they should but the fault appeared to be within a section of inaccessible moulded plastic that held four of the contacts. I only discovered this once I'd got a second hand unit (£20) from the scrappy and began swapping bits over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm about to post elsewhere on here, but, from what I've discovered about Fiat's, your stalk could be generic, ie fitted to other Fiats, THAT AREN'T MOTORHOMES!!!
That may become very relevant, if/when you come to replacing it.

I have just had a lovely chat with Jim at New Milton Autoparts in the New Forest. If there is a crossover in stalks that man might save you a shedload (I have no connection with the Co.)

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks for your help guys........ except Garry Smiff who's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, anyway it was your handbag you left there in the first place :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I have been having a mess with it and it seems to be the end of the stalk that is the problem and I'm wondering if the contacts are up the stalk Ooooer Mrs :eek: or is there a rod running down the length of the stalk and the switching goes on near the steering wheel boss, any ideas @jockaneezer ?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi @Badknee, on mine, the rotary action of the switch travelled down a rod and all the switching took place in the "box" that's on the column end of the stalk. I found a photo of the unit on my phone, the white plastic part with the small coil spring is the indicator "return to centre" unit and the other white plastic rectangle with the copper contacts either end is the indicator switch which slides from side to side via a long central shaft with a dogleg end which engaged in the square cut out in the back of the rectangle.
20150904_145838.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks @jockaneezer, that's great. I'll have a look tomorrow and perhaps it's just a dirty contact. It worked fine today when I tried it but the other day the headlights wouldn't come on at all and it switched all the light off :swear2:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I'm about to post elsewhere on here, but, from what I've discovered about Fiat's, your stalk could be generic, ie fitted to other Fiats, THAT AREN'T MOTORHOMES!!!
That may become very relevant, if/when you come to replacing it.

I have just had a lovely chat with Jim at New Milton Autoparts in the New Forest. If there is a crossover in stalks that man might save you a shedload (I have no connection with the Co.)
my next door neighbour has not long since retired from working there and a friend drives the delivery van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back