Ducato Fuel System warning Light - help ! (1 Viewer)

julie and bill

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
kimberley Nottingham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since April 07
Hi,
Got a serious problem with our 2.8jtd MH.
The fuel system warning light ( red engine symbol ) came on last week returning home from York and stayed on for about 20 miles but there was no apparent reduction in power or unusual noise and after stopping for a few minutes the light did not come on again for the last few miles home.
Book says that this light indicates ' imperfect fuel injection ' which could result in reduced fuel economy and that any occasional short duration warning is 'meaningless' - take to Fiat if it stays on.
This weekend the light came on again after a few miles ( when engine just getting warm ) and now comes on shortly after starting or when starting to warm up.
More worrying is that the engine is now misfiring/lurching ( even at tickover ) and we only just limped home today with a real loss of power.
Engine is 2.8JTD Ducato, 2004/5 and has done only 7500 miles.
Has anyone any ideas of what this fault could be ??

Cheers
Bill.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi,
Got a serious problem with our 2.8jtd MH.
The fuel system warning light ( red engine symbol ) came on last week returning home from York and stayed on for about 20 miles but there was no apparent reduction in power or unusual noise and after stopping for a few minutes the light did not come on again for the last few miles home.
Book says that this light indicates ' imperfect fuel injection ' which could result in reduced fuel economy and that any occasional short duration warning is 'meaningless' - take to Fiat if it stays on.
This weekend the light came on again after a few miles ( when engine just getting warm ) and now comes on shortly after starting or when starting to warm up.
More worrying is that the engine is now misfiring/lurching ( even at tickover ) and we only just limped home today with a real loss of power.
Engine is 2.8JTD Ducato, 2004/5 and has done only 7500 miles.
Has anyone any ideas of what this fault could be ??

Cheers
Bill.

Clean out the fuel filter may do the trick,:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi julie and Bill.
Sorry to hear of your woes I know how annoying it can be. This sounds to me like a problem with the injector system itself. If you add that to the mis firing it would make sense. It could be something as simple as picking up some bad fuel to something far more sinister. On this occasion though I would think the best cause of action is to have it plugged in and read by diagnostics finder due to the ammount of electrical/computer mapping involved. It should be quite simple for someone whom has a diagnostics system to see what the problem is. Unfortunately though Fiat are probable the ones with the kit to check it out. Unless you know of a garage with kit to get a read out.
One thing for sure is that it needs checking out professionaly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi practically any garage nowadays will have reader, and will be able to find out what the codes mean, so you can take it anywhere you fancy, probably be cheaper to. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Highly likely to be a blocked fuel filter, trace the diesel supply line back from the injector pump and clean it out and replace filter.

Regards

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
check the wiring to the injectors, its known that the wiring is a bit short and this can cause an intermittant fault and cause the warning light to come on ..pull off the wiring plugs at the injector and replace them and if your luckey all will be ok

Last edited:
OP
OP
julie and bill

julie and bill

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
kimberley Nottingham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since April 07
Update after diagnosis by FIAT dealer

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice,, nursed it into the main Fiat dealer in Derby this morning and have just had the phone call !.
They have diagnosed the fault as " After having the diagnostic machine on it we think it's a problem with the wiring to No4 injector " .... cost (nearly) £600.

Don't know yet if its covered by the 3-yr AA insurance warranty scheme which came free with the MH, but in any case even if accepted as a 'mechanical failure' the max payout is £250 ( 300 minus 50excess )

Rang Fiat customer service ( 0080034280000 ) as some info on the internet suggests this is a known problem with the 2.8jtd - - they have agreed to look into whether it is a recall issue and get back to me ?

Anyway, had to agreed to the fix as we are off to Switzerland next week so it might be a blessing that it's shown up now !

Bill.

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi All,

" After having the diagnostic machine on it we think it's a problem with the wiring to No4 injector " .... cost (nearly) £600.

Bill.

Hi julie and bill,

That is no diagnosis at all. Furthermore, just how much wiring are they fixing and are they using platinum to jack up the price to that degree.
I would get a detailed list of work to be done if I were you. It sounds like a rip off to me.
Wilbury

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
as i said in my post it is a known fault an as wilbury said a total rip off its only the wiring plug , all it needs is a clean and refitting and it will be cured

OP
OP
julie and bill

julie and bill

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
kimberley Nottingham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since April 07
FIAT Customer Service to the rescue !

MH is now repaired ( new injector wiring loom and sender unit replaced, as the new loom has different connectors ? ) and is now running fine so we are ready to head off to Switzerland this weekend.

During the time it was in for repair I had a surprise phone call from FIAT offering to pay for the parts ( as a goodwill gesture ) which I thought wasn't bad as the MH is a year out of warranty.

Who said FIAT don't care about us or are they looking at last to rebuild customer relations ?

Cheers all,
Bill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back