Ducato fuel leak (2 Viewers)

Huffton74

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Carioca
Hi I have just bought a fiat ducato 2.0JTD carioca. After driving 300 miles home I quickly noticed fuel leak. I have rad the threads about fuel filter problems and people not using the correct tool to tighten it up. I have no idea if that is the issue (I am not a mechanic of any level).
What I can say is that it is dripping from the fuel tank. I can't locate the source and having had a good look would suggest that the fuel is travelling some distance and the end of the fuel tank is it's ultimate location and that's where it then has to drip down from. It is only losing about half a mug of fuel a day but it is a constant.
I will now book it in to be looked at, just wondered if anyone had any ideas/ thoughts on the matter or if other owners had suffered a similar situation

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi I have just bought a fiat ducato 2.0JTD carioca. After driving 300 miles home I quickly noticed fuel leak. I have rad the threads about fuel filter problems and people not using the correct tool to tighten it up. I have no idea if that is the issue (I am not a mechanic of any level).
What I can say is that it is dripping from the fuel tank. I can't locate the source and having had a good look would suggest that the fuel is travelling some distance and the end of the fuel tank is it's ultimate location and that's where it then has to drip down from. It is only losing about half a mug of fuel a day but it is a constant.
I will now book it in to be looked at, just wondered if anyone had any ideas/ thoughts on the matter or if other owners had suffered a similar situation
Almost impossible to diagnose without actually being there in person and inspecting it.
What year is it ( or which model Ducato is it ) ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
2.0jtd it says John.
On our 2.8jtd the fuel filter is in the top right hand corner of the engine compartment with the fuel filler and tank below it. If the filter has been changed recently it could be leaking from there and dripping down to where you can see it. Personally I would start at the filter housing.
Good luck đź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
+ 1 for the filter, I had one go on last MH, dumped about half a tank out side reception on a site before I came out and saw it running down the road. Called RAC out who bye passed the filter with some bits of pipe to get me home at which time I swapped the whole unit, about ÂŁ80 I think and a simple job to do, even with no mechanical skills.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just check the filter ,its on the right rear side under the bonnet,its usually a green vertical cylinder with a black cap.Place some tissues under it and see if it is leaking.the engine doesnt have to be running..any leaks will be from between the top and lower cylinder. You can buy a new one complete from e bay for about ÂŁ80.
If you take it in it will cost you around 260 for the new filter and about an hour to replace. Dont let them just fit a filter and tighten it up without a special tool as it will only start to leak again later.
If you have had the van serviced recently check if they replaced the inner filter .if so that's probably why.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
2.0jtd it says John.
On our 2.8jtd the fuel filter is in the top right hand corner of the engine compartment with the fuel filler and tank below it. If the filter has been changed recently it could be leaking from there and dripping down to where you can see it. Personally I would start at the filter housing.
Good luck đź‘Ť
Which was used over two models.. The later one has got the filter that causes issues, the earlier one doesn't

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
Our 2.8jtd would leak fuel from the bottom of the fuel filter. It was always the water drain. After being recovered twice once in Germany and once in France with fuel p***ing out of the filter the recovery chap in France sold me another filter but with the thread for this water drain blanked off. He said "you don't need this". We never did have any problems with leaks again.

OP
OP
H

Huffton74

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Carioca
Our 2.8jtd would leak fuel from the bottom of the fuel filter. It was always the water drain. After being recovered twice once in Germany and once in France with fuel p***ing out of the filter the recovery chap in France sold me another filter but with the thread for this water drain blanked off. He said "you don't need this". We never did have any problems with leaks again.
thanks very much I have checked the fuel filter housing and it's dry I'll make sure the garage check it

OP
OP
H

Huffton74

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Carioca
Which was used over two models.. The later one has got the filter that causes issues, the earlier one doesn't
interesting. it's a 2002 model

OP
OP
H

Huffton74

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Carioca
Just check the filter ,its on the right rear side under the bonnet,its usually a green vertical cylinder with a black cap.Place some tissues under it and see if it is leaking.the engine doesnt have to be running..any leaks will be from between the top and lower cylinder. You can buy a new one complete from e bay for about ÂŁ80.
If you take it in it will cost you around 260 for the new filter and about an hour to replace. Dont let them just fit a filter and tighten it up without a special tool as it will only start to leak again later.
If you have had the van serviced recently check if they replaced the inner filter .if so that's probably why.
Thanks, i've had a good look. All dry. I've only just bought the van (hence my lack of knowledge) and the service does say that the fuel filter hs been replaced.

OP
OP
H

Huffton74

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Carioca
+ 1 for the filter, I had one go on last MH, dumped about half a tank out side reception on a site before I came out and saw it running down the road. Called RAC out who bye passed the filter with some bits of pipe to get me home at which time I swapped the whole unit, about ÂŁ80 I think and a simple job to do, even with no mechanical skills.
thanks I doubt I'll do it myself but at east everyone seems to think that the problem is most likely the filter.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Agree with this entirely, recently had a major service and 400 miles later it dumped diesel all over our pitch. Called out the RAC and the guy was great did a 2 hour drive to get me a new filter and install it. Great service.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
On mine the fuel filter is on the left hand side of the bulkhead.
Right, left as used when talking vehicles is as if you’re sat in the driver’s seat.
I’ve never seen one on the right hand side of the bulkhead.

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
I had a diesel leak recently on our 2004 Ducato. I was really worried it'd be something I'd need to order parts for as we were due to go away a couple of days later. It turned out to be a hose had come loose on the T piece that had been put in (by the original converter - Trigano) to one of the fuel lines to feed the FBH, so a free fix and just a few minutes to sort once I'd found it. The fuel lines come out forwards from the front of the tank at the top, so a bit awkward to see and get to - I had to run the engine whilst lying under it to actually see where fuel was coming from as everything had a coating of diesel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back