Ducato First/2yr Service - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
For what is worth supply your own oil (as long as it is correct spec) dealers charge anything upto 16.00 a litre. Stick to fiat service for warranty period. Then find a good garage and have the base vehicle serviced every year before mot change brake fluid, and engine oil+ filter yearly fuel filter every 2 years air filter pollen filter 2 years cam belt 3-5 years whatever fiat recommend DO NOT GO ON CAM BELT MILAGE as motor home may not do that in the 3-5 years recommended.

And this is what I do with my Fiat I may be cautious

and this is my opinion and my opinion alone.some people say I am an arsehole, me i like opinionated
:ROFLMAO::thumb::Cool:

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Which dealer did you take it to, if you don't mind me asking ?
Mine has to go to North East Truck and Van because of it's size.
That is even down in the Fiat dealer list in the service book.

I got the cost wrong, when I picked it up on Friday it was only £212 for the service (still expensive if you ask me) and yes, it goes to North East Truck & Van. I have a couple of colleagues who live in H'pool, so I can get picked up or dropped off on way to and from work, so not too bad.

At least it doesn't nag me to 'Check Glow Plugs' any more !

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
For what is worth supply your own oil (as long as it is correct spec) dealers charge anything upto 16.00 a litre. Stick to fiat service for warranty period. Then find a good garage and have the base vehicle serviced every year before mot change brake fluid, and engine oil+ filter yearly fuel filter every 2 years air filter pollen filter 2 years cam belt 3-5 years whatever fiat recommend DO NOT GO ON CAM BELT MILAGE as motor home may not do that in the 3-5 years recommended.

And this is what I do with my Fiat I may be cautious

and this is my opinion and my opinion alone.some people say I am an arsehole, [HI]me i like opinionated[/HI]
:ROFLMAO::thumb::Cool:
Andy, I'd never call you opinionated!:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As usual with anything I try to do, things have got muddier rather than clearer. :RollEyes:

I twice rang Stewart Burrows near Wrexham for a service quote but he still hasn't got back to me so maybe he doesn't want the work. :Sad:

I then rang a commercial vehicle garage in Peterborough that I have every faith in - they helped me tirelessly with my previous van's problem. They quoted me £340 inc VAT (so about £100 less than Fiat's figure which didn't include VAT) for a really full 'full service' - oil and all filters changed, brake fluid changed, etc. and I know that they will do the job properly. I asked his opinion on whether it was really necessary to change all the filters on such a low mileage vehicle. His answer was that if it was his own van he probably wouldn't, but for a customer he would follow the Fiat schedule. I'd like them to do the work but unfortunately by the time I get over to Peterborough the van will be out of its warranty period - and I'd really prefer it to be serviced while still in warranty in case any problems come to light that would then be dealt with under warranty.

So then I rather cheekily rang the Fiat garage back to ask if they did a free 'end of warranty check'. Unsurprisingly the answer was 'no' as Fiat 'don't allow them to look for work under warranty'. :RollEyes:

I then got talking to their workshop manager (who remembered me from previous recall and warranty work) who said that on such a low mileage vehicle (about 5000 miles) there was no need to change all the items listed at 24 months in the Fiat manual, which was aimed at commercial vans. Oil and filter, yes, but not much else. They would check things like the air filter but they were unlikely to need replacing. During the service they would also give it the once over to see if anything else needed doing under warranty. This 'low mileage' service was all that Fiat would expect to be done and would cost £220.

So I think the best solution for me is probably to go with the Fiat 'low mileage' service this time, then next year (and out of warranty) go for the full service at the Peterborough garage - neatly coinciding with the Peterborough Show.

But what a complex and confusing situation to try and make sense of! :Eeek:

Dec 9, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Caravaning / boating / motorhoming for 20+ years
Just had our vans 1st service, at 2 years and 9,000 miles. £385.38 at Desira Diss, norfolk, a fiat dealer.... Came up as a 30,000 mile service, This excluded brake fluid change (optional). I asked if I really needed all the filters changed, but they said yes. Filters include, oil, fuel (around £60) air, pollen. Works out at under £200 / year..... Better value than our £260 annual habitation!!!

We had Disira Diss do some fiat recall work for us a few months back. Did a good job then and today, on time no problems, clearly explained what needed doing and what had been Done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back