Ducato Euro 5 engine oil (1 Viewer)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
My 2017 Ducato (Euro 5) has now covered 2500 miles, and oil level is half way down dipstick. Its not due for 1st service until Nov. 2019, so may need a top up prior to then. My handbook only mentions 0w-30 acea2 oil, but a call to my local Fiat dealer, giving the service dept. my reg. no.- the guy said "yours needs 5w-30". I assume from this that the service man is quoting for a Euro 5 version, but Deneb`s post above states that Euro 5+ engines ARE on 0w-30.... As mine is a 2017 vehicle, I assume it must be a euro5+ as it is one of the last ones before they went to Euro 6. How do I tell if mine is a Euro5+ and not "just" a Euro5?

Fiat's published workshop information in late 2016 specified the same 0W30 oil for the Euro 5+ engines as required for the then new Euro 6 engines. More recently, they have reverted to 5W30 for Euro 5+ engines. Whether this was a publishing error or by design I don't know (late Euro 5+ owner's handbooks also recommended 0W30 oil, so if it was an error it was in more than one place) but in practice it will make very little difference. The main reason for the change to 0W30 is to reduce emissions fractionally more than previously during cold starts and low temperature conditions. If you are only topping up then you can happily use either without any problem, as long as you use an ACEA C2 oil to Fiat specification.

If your oil level is at halfway point on the dipstick though, that is fine. It shouldn't be topped up to the maximum mark, you are better leaving it about 5mm below on a modern diesel.

If you have a "New Ducato" aka X290, e.g. the facelift version from 2014 on, it will be Euro 5+

Personally, if your van has only done 2,500 miles in 12 months on a new engine, I'd consider a full oil change now to flush any microscopic wear particles and contaminants out of the system. Extended oil change intervals are intended for vehicles covering at least 10,000 miles a year and even so, a new engine would benefit from a change of oil much sooner than 2 years unless you're a business buyer intent on keeping running costs to a minimum and intending to dispose of the vehicle after 3-4 years.

bob cottam

Free Member
Jun 28, 2018
Funster No
Thanks Deneb, good info. Yes , I think you are right about a full oil change in any case,- now on the "to do" list.
I was amazed at how the motor ( a "show special" with 800 miles on clock when I bought it) loosened up. From being really quite tight ( disappointingly slow and gutless), the performance improvement as it has run in is quite marked. The whole drive is much better now, and whilst obviously no race car, the engines full potential is coming to the fore. Thus although modern engines are very well engineered, they do still need time to bed in.
I was very uncomfortable with the "2 years/24000 miles 1st service" ( for a relatively low use camper van)- but loathe to touch it whilst under warranty.... I think if I use a Fiat gen. filter and correct spec. quality oil, keeping receipts, I really cannot see how I could be criticized. If Fiat`s own literature confuses the oil grades- who knows? I suspect the grade change reasons are more political than mechanical anyway. When I spoke to the service guy at my local FIAT dealership he said "well I could sell you some ridiculously overpriced (genuine) oil, but we buy it in bulk and just use XXXX" There you go....

bob cottam

Free Member
Jun 28, 2018
Funster No
Further to above: I just rang the FIAT Stealership.
The guy was not kidding when he said "ridiculously overpriced oil"- 6 litres needed: £105.....! £22 for the filter...Holy Cr-p!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My 2017 Ducato (Euro 5) has now covered 2500 miles, and oil level is half way down dipstick. Its not due for 1st service until Nov. 2019, so may need a top up prior to then. My handbook only mentions 0w-30 acea2 oil, but a call to my local Fiat dealer, giving the service dept. my reg. no.- the guy said "yours needs 5w-30". I assume from this that the service man is quoting for a Euro 5 version, but Deneb`s post above states that Euro 5+ engines ARE on 0w-30.... As mine is a 2017 vehicle, I assume it must be a euro5+ as it is one of the last ones before they went to Euro 6. How do I tell if mine is a Euro5+ and not "just" a Euro5?
Should be on your Certificate of Conformity, my 2014 van was Euro 5+, Euro 5+ came out in late 2013, they used 5W-30 however the last ones produced used 0W-30. My 2017 van is Euro 6.
As the 5+ uses different oils depending on when if was produced why not ring Fiat customer services to check.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I was very uncomfortable with the "2 years/24000 miles 1st service" ( for a relatively low use camper van)- but loathe to touch it whilst under warranty.... I think if I use a Fiat gen. filter and correct spec. quality oil, keeping receipts, I really cannot see how I could be criticized. If Fiat`s own literature confuses the oil grades- who knows? I suspect the grade change reasons are more political than mechanical anyway. When I spoke to the service guy at my local FIAT dealership he said "well I could sell you some ridiculously overpriced (genuine) oil, but we buy it in bulk and just use XXXX" There you go....

Hi Bob, yes I did a first year service on my van. I used a genuine Fiat filter so it would look the part when it went for the 2 year warranty service (I have a 3 year warranty on my van, but if you only have the 2 year warranty you'd have to decide whether you want to bother with main dealer servicing) and Shell Helix Ultra ECT oil, which was around £47 I think. Titan GT1 Pro C2 seems to be more easily obtainable at the moment though, a good oil and again reasonably priced. I kept the container showing the Fiat spec approval just in case of any queries.

Bear in mind that if you do it yourself, you will need access to suitable diagnostic kit to reset the oil change counter in the ECU, such as MultiECUscan, but the cost of the software is less than a single oil change at a Fiat Pro dealer.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
As the 5+ uses different oils depending on when if was produced why not ring Fiat customer services to check.

They keep changing the spec Lenny, as I mentioned above. Tech portal used to say 0W30 for Euro 5+ same as Euro 6, but now says 5W30 again.

Not as bad as Volvo, who've changed the oil capacity for my engine 4 times in as many years. As it doesn't have a physical dipstick, they get away with it by reprogramming the oil level sensor parameters!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I learned long ago that to cut corners on buying cheap Halfrauds brand oil was a false economy

Do you also leave it 28000 miles between service as per Fiat recommendations?

My handbook says that Fiat recommend Selenia oil, not that they demand it. They do however state that any oil used must meet Fiat technical specification 955535-S1 (or 955535-S2 I believe for later vehicles). Almost all major oil manufacturers are able to supply an oil that meets or exceeds that specification. ACEA C2 denotes that the oil meets the requirements for a modern synthetic oil capable of use in high-performance petrol and diesel engines over extended drain intervals, compatible with emission control technology (catalysts and DPF systems), i.e. a low/mid SAPS oil that will not contaminate those systems beyond normal service expectations.

That'll do for me as its only in there for 8,000 miles and changed annually.

bob cottam

Free Member
Jun 28, 2018
Funster No
Hi Lenny- the only Certificates of Conformity I can find are in the back of the handbook, and refer to remote control/infotainment?? I have never seen anything to denote engine as a Euro 5 or 5+ other than the rubber rad hoses!! -which say Euro 5. Not even the V5 refers to the Euro value, perhaps the relevant document is under someone`s desk somewhere- never reached me! Given its age, it must be a Euro5+ I suppose- does anyone know the actual technical differences between 5 and 5+- can it be physically seen under the bonnet, or is it just a software job?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back