Ducato engine/gearbox given up in France. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't fault Fiat, the breakdown service or the French Fiat garage.
This whole fiasco was down to my local garage who did the belt change in the first place.
Has that been proved now? And have they accepted responseabilty?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think 4 weeks from breakdown and an engine change with a few hiccups isn’t too bad…. If you get any recompense from the previous garage or insurance that will be a bonus…

Glad it’s all sorted and put down to experience…

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Its been passed to their loss adjusters.
How can the inlet valve witness marks on the pistons be explained, other than it was mis timed at some stage?
See posts #182 & #184.
Please read post #281
It may not be, but does offer a plausible explanation .

Please let us know the final verdict if you have time.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, so glad your new engine is sorted. All the best with your claim. Hope you get over it without too many scars.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Please read post #281
It may not be, but does offer a plausible explanation .

Please let us know the final verdict if you have time.
According to Fiat Professional all pulleys, tensioner and belt were as they should be ie. timing was correct, before they started stripping it.

ROCHESB

Free Member
Mar 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
According to Fiat Professional all pulleys, tensioner and belt were as they should be ie. timing was correct, before they started stripping it.
Maybe I am being too suspicious but I wonder if the garage doing the belt change made a mistake with the timing, turned the engine over by hand or on the starter with no fuel being injected, realised it was wrong when the valves made contact and then 'corrected' the timing error while hoping that no damage had occurred?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maybe I am being too suspicious but I wonder if the garage doing the belt change made a mistake with the timing, turned the engine over by hand or on the starter with no fuel being injected, realised it was wrong when the valves made contact and then 'corrected' the timing error while hoping that no damage had occurred?
Already been suggested, a couple of hundred posts ago.
(Along with just about every other possible scenario ;) ).

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Thats exactly what has happened, there's no other logical explanation.

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Good to hear your news ..... I still think you're one very patient chap(y)
Its not a matter of patience, its more a matter of "shit happens" and you've got no choice other than to deal with it.
If you think I'm a very patient chap, you need to have a word with the navigation, catering and soft furnishings manager (my other half) 😀

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Can't fault Fiat, the breakdown service or the French Fiat garage.
This whole fiasco was down to my local garage who did the belt change in the first place.
Just wondering if you had used a Fiat garage and same issue occurred if they would of fitted new engine FOC?

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Quite possible.
There have been a few threads recently on cam belt change and the cost of getting it done, I've commented on a few but given up now as many think that it is best to get the job done as cheaply as is possible, but I'll wager the budget ones do not do the job properly.
By that I mean if you follow the correct procedure it is a task that has to be attacked from top and bottom, and involves removing quite a lot of what may appear to be unnecessary and using various tools and timing pins that insure the correct timing is achieved, it is of course however possible to just remove the old belt and hope nothing moves whilst the belt is off and slip the new one in its place, which I would suggest the way the cheapo ones do it, OK if nothing goes wrong.
Part of the correct procedure is to slacken the cam pulley bolt and reposition the pulley to suit the new belt which ensures absolutely correct timing when carried out, not likely part of the procedure if looking to do it quickly / cheaply.

As I mentioned previously the OP is likely to end up with a bill of €12k or so, ask yourself "do I feel lucky" next time you choose who renews your cam belt.

As an add the picture I posted earlier was from a 2014 Ducato that had covered 44000Kms, glad I've not got a low mileage 2014 van
I’ve been reading this thread with interest as my 4 year old van will be due a belt change early next year. My question to the engine experts here is ‘ who would you really trust to do your cam belt changeout and what other parts would you change at the same time that are not part of the Fiat kit ‘.My first thought is to get it done at a proper Fiat Professional garage , yes I know they will be at the top end of charging spectrum but at least I reckon I would have some sort of comeback if it all went horribly wrong afterwards.

Your thoughts would be appreciated .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve been reading this thread with interest as my 4 year old van will be due a belt change early next year. My question to the engine experts here is ‘ who would you really trust to do your cam belt changeout and what other parts would you change at the same time that are not part of the Fiat kit ‘.My first thought is to get it done at a proper Fiat Professional garage , yes I know they will be at the top end of charging spectrum but at least I reckon I would have some sort of comeback if it all went horribly wrong afterwards.

Your thoughts would be appreciated .
There are large O ring type seals that cost around £5 a piece which are not part of the standard fiat kit. I made sure these were changed with the belt kit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No, the garage have pased it on to their insurance company and they're just ignoring it.
We're currently considering getting a solicitor involved, anyone recommend one?
yes definitely worth asking your own insurance company if you have legal cover & get an opinion off of them.Or small claims court?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No, the garage have pased it on to their insurance company and they're just ignoring it.
We're currently considering getting a solicitor involved, anyone recommend one?

I believe it is time too get a Solicitor involved for these reasons -

- To ensure that sufficient evidence is collected to associate the garage with the causality of the damage.

- To include all items that can validly be claimed

- To put a file together to go to litigation if necessary

- To ensure any settlement offered is sufficient

From my professional viewpoint I believe that the costs of a Solicitor could achieve a higher settlement than you are likely to achieve alone.

My approach when I have had to use a Solicitor is to 'hit hard' with the best, but I doubt whether the value of this claim warrants that. If you let me know what is the total loss to you, including consequential losses, either on here or by PM, then I can advise further.

Geoff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yes definitely worth asking your own insurance company if you have legal cover & get an opinion off of them.Or small claims court?
Worth asking your insurance folks what they think but I would be very wary of getting solicitors involved off your own bat on which is I'm afraid only going to be your word against theirs.
If they just stick it out and say, nowt to do we us, what possible proof can you have that it has.
They could just say you must have done something in-between, with as much proof that you have that you didn't.
Sorry for being so negative ,just saying what could happen, then you will have a solicitors bill on top.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On top of all this the part that they did replace was as you say, right at the time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On top of all this the part that they did replace was as you say, right at the time.
Another thing they could come up with is the damage on the pistons could have been there before they touched.
As I say sorry for the negative posts but just looking at things you have got to prove to say they did it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back