Ducato engine/gearbox given up in France. (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
In between...
Exp
Getting there..
I think 4 weeks from breakdown and an engine change with a few hiccups isnā€™t too badā€¦. If you get any recompense from the previous garage or insurance that will be a bonusā€¦

Glad itā€™s all sorted and put down to experienceā€¦

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Its been passed to their loss adjusters.
How can the inlet valve witness marks on the pistons be explained, other than it was mis timed at some stage?
See posts #182 & #184.
Please read post #281
It may not be, but does offer a plausible explanation .

Please let us know the final verdict if you have time.

OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Please read post #281
It may not be, but does offer a plausible explanation .

Please let us know the final verdict if you have time.
According to Fiat Professional all pulleys, tensioner and belt were as they should be ie. timing was correct, before they started stripping it.

Mar 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
According to Fiat Professional all pulleys, tensioner and belt were as they should be ie. timing was correct, before they started stripping it.
Maybe I am being too suspicious but I wonder if the garage doing the belt change made a mistake with the timing, turned the engine over by hand or on the starter with no fuel being injected, realised it was wrong when the valves made contact and then 'corrected' the timing error while hoping that no damage had occurred?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since Mother was a lad.
Maybe I am being too suspicious but I wonder if the garage doing the belt change made a mistake with the timing, turned the engine over by hand or on the starter with no fuel being injected, realised it was wrong when the valves made contact and then 'corrected' the timing error while hoping that no damage had occurred?
Already been suggested, a couple of hundred posts ago.
(Along with just about every other possible scenario ;) ).

OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Thats exactly what has happened, there's no other logical explanation.

OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Good to hear your news ..... I still think you're one very patient chap(y)
Its not a matter of patience, its more a matter of "shit happens" and you've got no choice other than to deal with it.
If you think I'm a very patient chap, you need to have a word with the navigation, catering and soft furnishings manager (my other half) šŸ˜€

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Can't fault Fiat, the breakdown service or the French Fiat garage.
This whole fiasco was down to my local garage who did the belt change in the first place.
Just wondering if you had used a Fiat garage and same issue occurred if they would of fitted new engine FOC?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Funsters who are viewing this thread