Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I know this is a well known phenomenon but despite searching the "Resource" section I am unable to find a definitive answer. Our problem is when we are parked up with the hab heating on there is a noticeable draught coming into the vehicle from the footwell area. There are vents in the doors which we have blocked off with tape so they are not the culprit. Setting the heating to re-circulation as opposed to outside air seems to have no effect. I'm about to do a "smoke test" to see if I can locate the source of the cold air, but I welcome any input from a Funster who has managed to solve this problem,

The Tincas

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I seem to remember people mentioning the seat belt strap housings being the source of cold air coming into the van?

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the suggestion, but our seat belts are mounted on the seats themselves. I should have added to my OP that the vehicle is a 2007 Autosleeper Nuevo mounted on a Peugeot Boxer chassis,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
A fleece blanket over the dash down to the floor works...(y)
Underneath the blanket would make a great place to put things you wish to keep a little cooler .... choccy bars for example.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm sure someone on here mentioned a vent under the van, under the passenger seat. Not had chance to look at mine yet.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Where do you think the draught is coming from? floor level or higher at dashboard?
The reason I ask is that many have fitted carpets in the cab at floor level, some manufacturers even offer a set of insulated mats as an optional extra!
Have you tried hanging say a large dustsheet/blanket over the dashboard letting it trail on the floor to see if the draught is from the dashboard region.
Have you fitted windscreen/side window external covers like Silver Screens to aid in keeping the heat in the van?
Apologies if you have already tried some of my suggestions, but they are a good place to start.
PS: as for the smoke test, I'll join you outside for a fag:wink:
Les

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would be interested in the results from a smoke test..
I have blocked all the holes I can find yet the draft is as strong as ever !

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Thanks for the suggestion, but our seat belts are mounted on the seats themselves. I should have added to my OP that the vehicle is a 2007 Autosleeper Nuevo mounted on a Peugeot Boxer chassis,
Our 2014 Majestic has the Peugeot cab and they've fitted curtains that go around the seats sealing off the rest of the cab area. This helps to defeat any draughts coming from the blower vents and elsewhere. An outside fitting silver screen is also a must for us in Winter.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Under the van passenger side door in the chassis inboard side is a bellows valve, about 100mm x 100mm, the one on the drivers side is blocked off re the exhaust passes right past it.
You can cut a piece of plastic or buy a Fiat cover to blank this off, also remember to shut all inlet vents on the dash.
Ducato cabs are very draughty places, check the floor behind the seats were the cab connects to the habitation pod, I have seen a gap along there.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
long curtains down to flour level and on a runner that go's right round the cab works for us you will find almost all vans have the same problem first thing I do is fit a curtain rail that runs around the windscreen and round the doors
bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a roll of white duct tape is your friend. air comes in from vents under the seats, vents in the cab doors, through the standard seat belt mounts (they are open box section under the van) and also through the dashboard vent

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
long curtains down to flour level and on a runner that go's right round the cab works for us you will find almost all vans have the same problem first thing I do is fit a curtain rail that runs around the windscreen and round the doors
bill
Yes. When we got our van Jill replaced the curtains with floor length ones. She also sewed Velcro buttons to them so they can be kept closed.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Under the van passenger side door in the chassis inboard side is a bellows valve, about 100mm x 100mm,
@Tincataylor
This is what they look like on a 2013 Fiat Ducato. In situ, outside (removed) and inside (removed).

Cab vents 01.jpg

Cab vents 02.jpg

Cab vents 03.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have:
Replaced the bellows vents with solid inserts
Blocked off the door vents
Fitted curtains from floor to ceiling
Filled other potential sources with expanding foam
The heater is always set to recirculate when we park up

We still get a gale force wind from somewhere !
It is strong enough to blow the ( heavy ! ) curtains about...

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have:
Replaced the bellows vents with solid inserts
Blocked off the door vents
Fitted curtains from floor to ceiling
Filled other potential sources with expanding foam
The heater is always set to recirculate when we park up

We still get a gale force wind from somewhere !
It is strong enough to blow the ( heavy ! ) curtains about...

Have you closed the windows, John?:whistle2::whistle2::imoutahere:

Deleted User
Ducatos are made for builders with big boots , gloves and coats. Not for softy motorhomers. Seriously though our 2005 Ducato was very draughty and I never did track the drafts down.

Spongy

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
We have the Autotrail Apache and I found the best way to stop the draughts getting into the Habitation lounge was to have a removable wall, so I fastened some "U" channel to the side of the the unite and cut 3 pieces of Ply, the bottom section stays in all the time to stop the dog coming forward whilst driving, we slot the other two sections in place at night, pull the bed across and presto van as warm as toast, plus we never get any condensation on the cab windows.
divider5.jpg
divider6.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What do you plan on using for a smoke test?
If its what I'm thinking can I come and watch please. :D

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
So not a Ducato as the thread title suggests?:unsure:

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Different badge, bit of different trim.
All made in the same factory on the same production line.
Agree but still a different van base so maybe a different solution.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I mean the van base is practically the same being built on the same production line....not the conversion.

Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Jumper...... All. SEVEL vans built in the SEVEL SUD factory.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp

Not so The cab units are identical apart from the badges, as the draughts are coming from the Sevel base unit the cure is the same for all.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I found that the Draught was coming from behind the Speakers fitted in the doors, whoever had fitted them had had to penetrate the film plastic behind the trim to make them fit. I put some small foam cereal bowls in the openings and sealed it with mastic. that cut it right out, now I have a Merc; "A" class the draughts come from a different place!:rolleyes:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My wife has made a quilted skirt that clips to the little shelves at the bottom of the dash, cuts the draughts substanially.

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks to all of you who have taken the time to offer suggestions. I will try and bring this thread to a conclusion with the story so far. The "smoke test" came up with interesting results so if any of you want to have a go then this is how I did it. I tried several different smoke sources but the best one was a doubled up sheet of kitchen roll twisted as tight as it would go. Once lit and blown out it continued to smoulder (and stink) with the occasional puff on the end to keep it going. In use there were VERY small draughts coming from multiple sources and the whole exercise was inconclusive until the curtains were drawn which had the effect of funnelling all these small draughts into a clearly visible one in the gap between the bottom of the curtains and the floor.
So we feel the best solution is to either extend the curtains or block off the gap as several of you have suggested. Also silver screens would stop the build up of cold air against the glass which then sinks to the floor to add to the problem.

The Tincas

Aug 14, 2016
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Setting the heating to re-circulation as opposed to outside air seems to have no effect.

If it is a fan assisted heater with enough capacity both in air volume and heating capacity put it onto fresh air. It might cost you a little more to run but any air movement would be going out. It should stop or at least reduce any draught.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back