Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys. Yesterday, I took my van for a run out to Filey Country park for the day. The van base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato 2.8TD 2000 reg. with 50,000 on the clock.
It had been standing for about three weeks and not long after setting off I was going up an incline in top gear when the clutch slipped. I backed off and changed down and all was fine for the rest of the day. Did about 175 miles.
My questions are:
Does this model have a clutch cable which can be adjusted or is it hydraulic.
Has anyone had experience of clutch replacement ? cost.
Could the problem have been that due to standing for a while it needed the oil to circulate round the gearbox and engine to warm up before climbing hills.
We're off to France at the end of July and if it needs a clutch I would rather get it done now.
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same engine as my 2001 model..

hydraulic clutch so no adjustment.

if it hasnt done it again since then i wouldnt worry too much.

if it's worn it would normally slip when changing up gears and putting on the power fractionally before the clutch is fully engaged.

Ooops...my mistake...thinking of another vehicle.

yes, it is cable operated.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
AFAIK it should be cable-operated (and therefore in theory adjustable).

The '02 6000ST I had was built on the last of the pre-facelift Ducato, but had the newer gearbox (reverse to the left and forward) and hydraulic clutch! (very much a factory afterthought by the looks of it, since the cab rubber flooring had had to be crudely adjusted for the new clutch mechanism).

Put the handbrake hard on and try to pull away in 2nd feathering the clutch, you'll soon see if you've got slip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
The Clutch on my B694 Hymer 2003 2.8 JTD began to slip in Portugal 59500.miles on the clock, cable clutch, no adjustment, took it into a Fiat Garage in BEJA and had new clutch fitted, two days in a super Hotel, hated it, [ paid for by the breakdown Insurance ] Clutch job cost me 1180 Euros, I'm told that is cheap by Englands standards ??????????:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Clutch on my B694 Hymer 2003 2.8 JTD began to slip in Portugal 59500.miles on the clock, cable clutch, no adjustment, took it into a Fiat Garage in BEJA and had new clutch fitted, two days in a super Hotel, hated it, [ paid for by the breakdown Insurance ] Clutch job cost me 1180 Euros, I'm told that is cheap by Englands standards ??????????:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

cheap for a main dealer maybe but why use a main dealer with their over-inflated prices. (maybe you had no choice ?)

i'd say less than one days work for an independant garage and even at £50ph it would be a lot less....

8 hours at £50ph is 'only' £400 + £150ish for a clutch.
a genuine clutch may be double that :whatthe:

a far cry from the £1000 you were charged. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back