Ducato , changing a wheel (2 Viewers)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Not had our Chausson 2008 very long and just fitted 4 new tyres.
Old tyres were full of tread but of 2006 vintage.

I made the assumption that the spare was probably the same age but had been protected from UV etc. So it would still be ok as a spare.

Just so I knew the process I thought I would remove the spare and check this plus pressure etc.

What a flaming game..........

First problem , the hole in the side to take the bar to wind the spare down does not align with the socket in the wheel release , you have to half nudge it round in the gap between the wheel and the arch.

Second , took a little head scratcher to work out the cable is longer than that required to lower the wheel to the ground. You keep turning till it stops.

Third , and this is the biggie. Releasing the pull up coupling from the wheel.
Root about and find and remove the nut , not too bad but then how to get the coupling out through the wheel hole to permit the wheel to be fully withdrawn from the vehicle etc. had to do this by chocking up the wheel, still partially under the vehicle so I could see it underneath and manipulate the shape of the pressing through the hole.

Phew

At least now I know how to do it I know what I’m in for if I have a flat........

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best to put a mat under the spare wheel before it drops to the floor so you can pull it out on the cable and undo the coupling more easily

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
By jove, your lucky to HAVE a spare wheel! ;)

We had a 2010 Chausson and drove around the continent for five years with buttocks clenched - no spare wheel supplied or anywhere to fit one... :(

But glad you finally managed to sort yours out. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have not had so much trouble with changing tyres, my method when I had a flat tyre was to phone breakdown. My hands remained just as clean as when I changed all my wheels. I say I, but actually the local tyre fitter had all the equipment handy and did it for me.
Simples

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I don't think uv is the only problem. When I renewed my tyres I thought that I would put the spare on the road and use a new wheel for the spare. On dropping the spare I found that the tread had separated. This had never been on the road and I had always checked the pressure. So I would suggest you look closely at your spare as it may be useless when you need it.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I've a phone number for flats.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Is that right, two year old tyres fitted to a 2008 van or had the van been hanging around for two years before being registered.

I understand this concern.
However , there is no sidewall cracking etc and it’s a fair probability I’ll never use it.
Punctures are rare these days , it’s on the list for replacement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back