Ducato cam belt change.......confused. (2 Viewers)

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
Spoke to my local independant a couple of months ago as mine will be due next year.
They won't use Gates any more as they and other workshops have had problems with both Gates belts & water pumps, they will now only use Fiat kits. The price of Fiat kits has rocketed in the last year now £400 + vat = £480 just for the kit & the best part of a days labour so around £800 maybe more.
Hi Is this the correct OE part??

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
So going by that do I need to get mine done as its a 2014 auto trail apache 700 with 7k miles on 🙄, I'm neither light or heavy use 🤔

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Saying they will inspect it goes for nothing, It's not just wear that causes the problem. They don't just snap either. What happens is one or more of the teeth break off and the engine looses timing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
The Gates replacement kit - belt and waterpump costs in the order of £235 - £245 on eBay, so I'm assuming with at a quote of £350 , the waterpump is not being replaced.
No the water pump and all pulleys is being replaced..... full kit.
Spoke to my local independant a couple of months ago as mine will be due next year.
They won't use Gates any more as they and other workshops have had problems with both Gates belts & water pumps, they will now only use Fiat kits. The price of Fiat kits has rocketed in the last year now £400 + vat = £480 just for the kit & the best part of a days labour so around £800 maybe more.
Looking at the last change of belt done before I purchased the van,,,,, 3 hours labour was invoiced.
So going by that do I need to get mine done as its a 2014 auto trail apache 700 with 7k miles on 🙄, I'm neither light or heavy use 🤔
Yes. My mechanic says at 33k miles my 10 year old van is classed as light and standing is worse than working it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Last time I had my FIAT 2.8jtd timing belt changed at 5 years the garage showed me that the old one was already showing signs of wear, so I am sticking to 'every 5 years'.

He said then the water pump looked fine, but next change that will be done also.

I trust my guy because he has had more vans through his workshop 'than you have had hot dinners.'......[Think that is a Northern expression ]

Geoff
Water pump not driven by the cambelt on the 2.8 so not necessary to replace it.
My tame Russian did mine last year.. £180 inc full kit ( but he does look after me cos I work on his bikes when needed )
The 2.8 is far cheaper to do than the 2.3 multijet, that is the price a friend paid the mobile guy I recommended about 4 years ago.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Or your friendly mechanic is making a fortune. Don't forget they also get a trade price :unsure:
I expect they quoted retail, if they didn't make a profit they wouldn't be in business.
I used to trade a lot on ebay and was always coming across suppliers who weren't working out their costs properly they would sell for 6 months then disappear I knew their buy price as my best mate was the sole importer for a lot of the items.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

The question is who is making and supplying Fiat then.

As Fiat certainly don’t make their own 🤔

Lenny HB

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Don't know but they will probably be made to a higher spec.

Gates are fitted as oe to lots of main manufacturers according to my spanner monkey mate 😊

Can’t for the life of me remember the other main manufacturer of the belts.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Gates are fitted as oe to lots of main manufacturers according to my spanner monkey mate 😊

Can’t for the life of me remember the other main manufacturer of the belts.
It's Gates that workshops have been having problems with, my independent always used them until they started having problems.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Well worth spending the cash.

IMG_1159.JPG

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Don't know but they will probably be made to a higher spec.
Canna speak for Fiat but Honda OEM parts are made down to a price..
For instance

The OEM shock fitted to most Honda bikes is pared right down and often need a rebuild by 25k miles.. They last twice as long as that once properly built even using cheap parts !

But as said, know nowt about Fiat stuff and I could be spouting irrelevance !

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Mine is being done today March 2024 estimated price of £1,062 but cheaper than last time . Can't remember which belt make he said but he said they were made on the same production line as Fiat? about the same price as quoted by others but the only one who could do it in a reasonable time. One Commercial Garage said first space available in 6 months!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back