Ducato cam belt change.......confused. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
2015 2.3 150bhp Ducato which is a Euro 5+.....I think.
Now coming up to 5 years and has 50k miles on the clock.

I'm confused about whether I need the cam belt changing this year or not.
The service schedule in the manual says:- Replace toothed timing drive belt (*) (110 (º)- 130 - 150 )Multijet Versions) 120K miles or 96 months
Underneath it says:-(*) Irrespective of the mileage, the timing drive belt must be changed every 4 years for heavy-duty use (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years.

I've previously read on here that the belt should be changed at 5 years but the schedule seems to be saying 8 years unless there is heavy-duty use.

I'm confused so could you mechanical experts on here give me some guidance please.

IMG_4345.jpeg

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
or at least every 5 years.

My interpretation of that is that at a minimum the belt should be changed every five years if none of the other criteria haven't required the belt to already be changed.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's saying that the mileage limit applicable to the service grid applies, but if you haven't reached the mileage limit it must still be changed at an absolute maximum interval of 5 years. In other words ignore the time periods according to the grid, but if you reach 120,000 miles in less than 5 years, it is due then. If you have less than 120,000 miles on the clock at 5 years, that is the latest it must be done.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It's saying that the mileage limit applicable to the service grid applies, but if you haven't reached the mileage limit it must still be changed at an absolute maximum interval of 5 years. In other words ignore the time periods according to the grid, but if you reach 120,000 miles in less than 5 years, it is due then. If you have less than 120,000 miles on the clock at 5 years, that is the latest it must be done.
I’m sure you’re correct but what a strange way of showing it.
Their comment- Irrespective of the mileage, the timing drive belt must be changed every 4 years for heavy-duty use (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years. is confusing as it’s not clear if they are referring to ‘heavy use’ or all use.
It also seems strange that the usual service schedule is every 2 years but the cam belt must be changed at the fifth year when there wouldn’t usually be a service due.

Where’s Geo or dave newell lvs when you need them?

Richard.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Irrespective of the mileage, the timing drive belt must be changed every 4 years for heavy-duty use (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years.
Seems plain enough to me.

Cam belt change IS NOT part of the normal service schedule

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's plain English. Change every 120,000 miles. For heavy duty use (defined in the handbook) change at least every 4 years irrespective of mileage. Normal use, change at least every 5 years. Nor part of normal bi-annual service as pappajohn says. Nor is an oil change on latest vehicles, it is as notified by the oil change required message on the instrument panel, but in any case at least every two years, i.e. may be required more often be between normal service intervals depending on usage. Heavy duty use again suggests oil changes at least every 12 months. Nothing confusing about it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are due a change ASAP simple terms 40,000 4 years is good practice 5 years and 50 thousand is ok but a little to much IMHO.
4 years and forty thousand which ever occurs first is what mine are changed at.
Full belt and pulley kit every time with thourough water pump check and replaced at any sign of play / roughness or noise even if pump is not cam belt driven check anyway.
Im sure Daves advice wont differ that much

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It also seems strange that the usual service schedule is every 2 years but the cam belt must be changed at the fifth year when there wouldn’t usually be a service due.

Sorry, was trying to do several things at once when I last replied. The service grid shows actions due by elapsed time or distance driven, whichever occurs first. It's only every 2 years for a van travelling less than 30,000 miles every 2 years. If a van used by a long distance haulage company travels 30,000 miles every 6 months, its services are due every 30,000 miles (approx 6 monthly) because the elapsed distance has occurred before the stated time interval. If after its 30,000 mile service at 6 months from new, it then only travels 5,000 miles in the following 3 years, it would be due a service 24 months after the first 30,000 mile service because the maximum 24 month elapsed time interval has occurred before the 30,000 mile distance interval has been reached.

The belt change is shown in the 120,000 mile or 96 months column BUT the asterisk refers you to the explanatory text below the grid which explains that irrespective of the mileage, the belt must be changed every 4 years for heavy duty use or at least every 5 years. (i.e. in every case where the vehicle has not covered 120,000 miles in a period of 5 years since its last belt change or 4 years if subject to heavy duty use).

If they'd simply tried to place all that information in the grid it would almost certainly have been even more confusing. Does that help explain it?

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Just to add to my confusion (not difficult) I booked the van in for an intermediate service and MOT. Since the first service I’ve used Simpson’s of Great Yarmouth as they are Fiat Professional as well as motorhome dealers.
The service receptionist said he couldn’t remember them changing a cam belt in the last year and not to bother for another couple of years but they could inspect the belt when the van was in the workshop and then advise further.
Following all your advice I’m now waiting for them to call me back with a price for a belt, tensioner and water pump change.

Richard.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The service receptionist said he couldn’t remember them changing a cam belt in the last year and not to bother for another couple of years but they could inspect the belt when the van was in the workshop and then advise further.

Translation: "We really would rather not bother doing that Sir" :rolleyes:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Just to add to my confusion (not difficult) I booked the van in for an intermediate service and MOT. Since the first service I’ve used Simpson’s of Great Yarmouth as they are Fiat Professional as well as motorhome dealers.
Following all your advice I’m now waiting for them to call me back with a price for a belt, tensioner and water pump change.

Richard.
We had ours done by North East Truck and Van in Hull, a Fiat Professional commercial van/truck service centre. Ours is a 2014 150 Euro 5 and it only had 18500 or so miles on it at 5 years. NET&V checked directly with Fiat and they said the belt, pulleys, tensioner, and water pump all needed replacement, regardless of the mileage at 5 years.

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
its not worth the risk of leaving it another year or 2 ... get it done.
My MH is due a cambelt change this year,will be getting the whole lot done, timing belt/water pump & all the pulleys & tensioners, and while my fitter is on, he can change the alternator& air-con belts & tensioners too.
Just over £200 for parts + £100 labour. Much cheaper than a new engine.

Nov 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail V-Line
Exp
Since 2009
2015 2.3 150bhp Ducato which is a Euro 5+.....I think.
Now coming up to 5 years and has 50k miles on the clock.

I'm confused about whether I need the cam belt changing this year or not.
The service schedule in the manual says:- Replace toothed timing drive belt (*) (110 (º)- 130 - 150 )Multijet Versions) 120K miles or 96 months
Underneath it says:-(*) Irrespective of the mileage, the timing drive belt must be changed every 4 years for heavy-duty use (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years.

I've previously read on here that the belt should be changed at 5 years but the schedule seems to be saying 8 years unless there is heavy-duty use.

I'm confused so could you mechanical experts on here give me some guidance please.

View attachment 355177
I'm confused as well 😕

Can anybody tell me, in what circumstances does the timing belt need changing only after 96 months?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I had mine changed this year, belt was fine, but one of the pulley bearings was shot. 2016 van with 24000 on the clock.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I'm confused as well 😕

Can anybody tell me, in what circumstances does the timing belt need changing only after 96 months?
It’s a gamble that only the owner can make, 5-8 years if under 120000 miles and depending on type of use.
Not being a gambling man and realising the cost of a snapped belt I choose every five years regardless.

Deleted User
Fiat professional state it is every 5 years (for low useage). Although they probably would say that. We had ours changed at 5 years.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I don't know whether the Belt Manufacturers [Uniroyal or Continental?] changed their advice [or reduced the quality of the components!], but 4 or 5 years ago, Peugeot and VW, amongst others, were saying cambelt changes needed after 96k, 120k, or even 140k miles; but the advice suddenly changed and on my VW Tig, the schedule dropped to 50k OR 4 years from the earlier 140k[IIRC]!. Some Forum posts I read suggested that the major Belt Manufacturers had seen damage claims for engines in the 50k-70k range, and were now looking to cover their corporate rear ends ...

There is a variation because Courier vehicles do high mileage/regular use, whereas motorhomes do not, but the risk and cost sits with the owner and we have been warned/advised to get the belt changed. Brunhilde's was changed at 8,750 miles at almost 5 years old, and Tig's at 31k just before her 5th birthday.

Steve

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It’s not very expensive. I had cam belt, water pump , pulleys etc, service, mot and it was less than £600.00.
I thought that was pretty reasonable.
Whoops, forgot it had an oil leak fixed as well.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
It’s not very expensive. I had cam belt, water pump , pulleys etc, service, mot and it was less than £600.00.
I thought that was pretty reasonable.
I am in the process of getting mine changed. Last done June 2016 so due now even though we have had lockdown etc. Local garage just quoted me £650 but knew of another place,, rang them yesterday and quoted £350 so guess it will be done soon. ;)

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
The Gates replacement kit - belt and waterpump costs in the order of £235 - £245 on eBay, so I'm assuming with at a quote of £350 , the waterpump is not being replaced.

Jun 16, 2016
Felixstowe UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC595 Coachbuilt
Exp
Complete newbie
My old 2.8 Ducato belt is changed every 4 years, or 50k miles if sooner, as advised by my expert independent mechanic. He changed it last year and found the cambelt tensioner was completely jammed on its spindle! The belt was loose and could easily have jumped the sprockets and trashed the engine. Peace of mind is better than saving a few quid IMO.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Its a small price to pay for avoiding the costs surrounding a failure. We had our belt changed this year as we couldn't be sure if it needed it or not. Another fan of 'Peace of Mind'.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spoke to my local independant a couple of months ago as mine will be due next year.
They won't use Gates any more as they and other workshops have had problems with both Gates belts & water pumps, they will now only use Fiat kits. The price of Fiat kits has rocketed in the last year now £400 + vat = £480 just for the kit & the best part of a days labour so around £800 maybe more.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Last time I had my FIAT 2.8jtd timing belt changed at 5 years the garage showed me that the old one was already showing signs of wear, so I am sticking to 'every 5 years'.

He said then the water pump looked fine, but next change that will be done also.

I trust my guy because he has had more vans through his workshop 'than you have had hot dinners.'......[Think that is a Northern expression ]

Geoff

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Change ours at 5 years :)

Our daughter's car was booked in to be changed at 4 years 11 months and it failed two days before it was booked in. The car wasn't heavily used.

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
The independent garage I use also said they didn’t use the Gates kit anymore when we had
the belt and pump done along with a service last December.
We had just bought the van and the service history was a bit sketchy, so it was a case of just being sure everything was ok.
Money well spent 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back