Chopsticks

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Shire Phoenix 2XL
Exp
Newbie!
We have a Shire Conversions Phoenix 2XL, which we're very pleased with.

Due to it being a bit of a tight squeeze at night for 2 adults and 2 large greyhounds, we're looking at getting a cab bed to free up more floor space for the dogs (!)

It's a PVC based on a Fiat Ducato.

Found the ideal solution from Bremner - a folding foam based bed, cut to the exact size of the Ducato cab but they're based in Germany and say that they no longer sell to the UK due to 'Brexit and Customs issues"

Shire do their own design one but it's in the region of £400 and as the Bremner one was approx £180, we'd rather see if we can source one a bit
cheaper first than the Shire one.

Has anyone got any other ideas, please?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Shire Conversions Phoenix 2XL, which we're very pleased with.

Due to it being a bit of a tight squeeze at night for 2 adults and 2 large greyhounds, we're looking at getting a cab bed to free up more floor space for the dogs (!)

It's a PVC based on a Fiat Ducato.

Found the ideal solution from Bremner - a folding foam based bed, cut to the exact size of the Ducato cab but they're based in Germany and say that they no longer sell to the UK due to 'Brexit and Customs issues"

Shire do their own design one but it's in the region of £400 and as the Bremner one was approx £180, we'd rather see if we can source one a bit
cheaper first than the Shire one.

Has anyone got any other ideas, please?

Thank you!
I can’t remember what make it was but I know Wombles found some sort of bed for a PVC a year or two back. Karen may well remember. I know it was aimed at children but might suit dogs.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Check the width, handle to handle, in the cab. I think it'll be a bit tight for the average adult.

Maybe a solution that elevates the existing bed, so there's space underneath for the dogs? My brother has a pair of Spinones (large dogs!), and they sleep under the rock'n'roll bed of his VW T5.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Would this be suitable?

These are brilliant for kids, but too small for adults! Are you planning on sleeping in the cab, or the dogs? If dogs, you may find a single cab bunk ok for them both?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
OP
OP
Chopsticks

Chopsticks

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Shire Phoenix 2XL
Exp
Newbie!
Thank you all for your replies!
We need the bed for an adult as the dogs will be sleeping on the floorspace that's freed up by not opening the bed fully.

Here's the link for the ideal solution that we're unable to get in the UK:

Amazon product ASIN B086L98KHC
We're toying with the idea of perhaps getting a foldable mattress and attaching some marineply to it so that it's rigid when opened across the seats.
Has anyone done anything similar?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There's no dimensions on that link. I suspect it'll pretty short as competing products only claim that the bed is big enough for a child... unless you aren't particularly tall?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back