Ducato based MH prone to wheel spin on grass? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sorry Fellas! All this technical stuff is a load of male round furry things!

If you are stuck on a site! It's your fault for parking where you did! without taking precautions!

See the warden! He'll tow you out, Stuck on a farm? they have a tractor!

Failing that, book a bloody hardstanding!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wasting time and money with a winch - especially one with a max pull of 1/4t when you weight 3.5t! It will just snap, take someones' head off and put a hook through your windscreen!
the rolling load is nowhere near 3.5ton, you don't intend using it as a crane do you?

david james

Free Member
Dec 2, 2010
camberley
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
1yr
mud

My MH is based on a front wheel drive 2004 Ductao 2.8 chassis cab. It’s OK on dry grass, but I’ve had to use the tractor to extract it if the grass is wet or soft. It spins the front wheels quite easily, although it does seem to be better in reverse. Could this be due to a lower gear ratio for reverse? I suspect it is down to my cr*p driving…

Is there a technique for getting this style of MH off a damp / soft grass pitch? I guess the other option is snow chains, although it would make a bit of a mess of the grass and involve a lot of mud removal from the MH.

All ideas and advice welcome.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.
if you can park with f/wheels on gravel/hard ground o.k if not try strips of old carpet,stair runner cut to more than wheel width and anker in hard ground end ,in gear let engine idle in 1st or us hand winch?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
OK Alcorn 54. Then why on some four wheel drive vehicles do they have a low ratio, and a high ratio shift on the gearbox? And the low ratio is slow, and the high ratio is for highway use!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I reiterate, book a bloody hardstanding!

Why the grief? Why the hand ringing?

Simples!

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Thanks for all the ideas and comments. The original question was posed because I was surprised at how badly I was doing on wet / soft ground.

The original parking spot was between the hangars and around a hundred yards or so from anything resembling hard ground. As mentioned previously, I’ve now got a parking spot on hard standing. This should solve the problem for the moment. I’ll be suitably cautious about choice of pitches when out and about.

Thanks again for all the input.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
the rolling load is nowhere near 3.5ton, you don't intend using it as a crane do you?

Rolling resistence adds weight to the vehicle depending on the conditions required to move from a stationary.

On smooth flat tarmac it requires the weight plus GF of 1/25th - so the weight the winch would need to pull from stationary would be 3.64t.

The way it is worked out is; Weight + Ground Factor = Winch Pull Required

On wet grass it is 1/5th - so W + GF(1/5th of W) = 4.2t

In light mud this rises to 1/2 the Weight. Add gradient resistence as well, and you are talking more.

It is all technical stuff! Winches also work on there maximum capacity when fully wound in. For each layer that is unwound, the capacity drops.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
OK Alcorn 54. Then why on some four wheel drive vehicles do they have a low ratio, and a high ratio shift on the gearbox? And the low ratio is slow, and the high ratio is for highway use!

That is all about cog size - the bigger the cog, the slower you go. The big cog has more teeth, thus takes more turns of the input to turn one revolution of the output, meaning slower speed, higher revs. Say your input has ten teeth, and your output has 60 teeth you have a 6:1 ratio - six turns of the input to one of the output. A higher ratio of input turns to output turns.

A top gear would have 6 teeth, meaning a 1:6 ratio - one turn of the input to six turns of the output, lower revs, higher speed.

In order to gain maximum torque, you need the input to turn faster than the output - kind of like selecting the smaller cog on the front of your pushbike. Only engines cannot have more than one input. This is done using a transfer box. The transfer box, through the use of more cogs, reduces the number of teeth on the input through gearing, thus lowering the ratio of the input. This in turn makes the input turn more than the output, similar to a low gear but by reducing the cog of the input, rather than enlarging the cog of the output. This gives more torque, lower speed.

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
That is all about cog size - the bigger the cog, the slower you go. The big cog has more teeth, thus takes more turns of the input to turn one revolution of the output, meaning slower speed, higher revs. Say your input has ten teeth, and your output has 60 teeth you have a 6:1 ratio - six turns of the input to one of the output. A higher ratio of input turns to output turns.

A top gear would have 6 teeth, meaning a 1:6 ratio - one turn of the input to six turns of the output, lower revs, higher speed.

In order to gain maximum torque, you need the input to turn faster than the output - kind of like selecting the smaller cog on the front of your pushbike. Only engines cannot have more than one input. This is done using a transfer box. The transfer box, through the use of more cogs, reduces the number of teeth on the input through gearing, thus lowering the ratio of the input. This in turn makes the input turn more than the output, similar to a low gear but by reducing the cog of the input, rather than enlarging the cog of the output. This gives more torque, lower speed.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: enough said spot on

Last edited:

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

This is getting boring now,:Sad::Sad: your wrong!! Just let it go now please.

Your now talking transfer boxes and locked diffs, totally differant and nothing to do with the origonal question asking for tips on getting a front wheel drive Motorhome of wet grass:Eeek: I was only tying to be helpfull in answering the question and not ! to get into an argument or one upmanship about gear ratios with you,Its honestly what I was taught years ago whilst learning to drive landrover;s bedford RL's etc in the army and what I then went on to teach other a few years later.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back