Ducato base (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Ordering a Pilote P740C on the 27th.
Like most new motorhomes it has a Ducato base to it.
I am aiming to order the 150hp engine and comfortmatic gearbox.
Also 4.4t chassis with airtop suspension as well as cruise control.
Does it have a trip computer as standard?
Any advice, suggestions or information would be helpfull.
Thank you in advance.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes it does have a trip computer although the mpg aren’t very near realistic best way for that is to brim fuel tank every time you fill up and check mileage that way.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Yes it does have a trip computer although the mpg aren’t very near realistic best way for that is to brim fuel tank every time you fill up and check mileage that way.
Is that with the Comfortmatic?
My 150 manual fuel consumption readings are always within 1mpg of brim to brim checks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As above yes, my trip averages about 26mpg but I clocked every litre for a 5k trip around Europe and got 31mpg.

I have the same configuration as you but 2012 4250kg I find it a bit under powered on the hills, and with the fiats troubles and strife’s I wouldn’t buy another.... but I’d go for a 3ltr....

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
You buy a 60k or more motorhome and you worry about mpg?
Really?
I have no idea what the month of ours is. Not did I know what the mpg of our two previous MH's were.
When it gets low I fill it up.
Just drive it.
The cost of an mpg variation between say 25 and 30 mpg, over maybe 6k miles per year is in relative terms virtually buggerall.

If you want a cost to worry about, worry about it's weekly rate of depreciation.
That dwarfs all other ownership costs added together.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Really?
I have no idea what the month of ours is. Not did I know what the mpg of our two previous MH's were.
Just drive it.
The cost of an mpg variation between say 25 and 30 mpg, over maybe 6k miles per year is in relative terms virtually buggerall.

If you want a cost to worry about, worry about it's weekly rate of depreciation.
Since I joined Fun in 2011 I think it was I have always been surprised at the number or folks who are going to buy 50k - 80k 4- 5ton motorhomes and then start worrying about what the MPG is,

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Not stressed about fuel consumption it is what it is, just like my toys when I am driving.
Back on my original subject.
New Ducati base.
Radio? Digital receiver?
Not bothering with the built in sat nav.
Anything else?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It ought to come with driver AND passenger airbags, but worth checking there is a passenger one.

It should come with heated rear view mirrors, but check it actually has them.

It will probably come with 'traction+', but if not, might be worth considering.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Really?
Just drive it.

Since I joined Fun in 2011 I think it was I have always been surprised at the number or folks who are going to buy 50k - 80k 4- 5ton motorhomes and then start worrying about what the MPG is,

Where does it state anywhere above that someone is worried about mpg....? Some people like to know the technical side of their Motorhomes.... the only ones mentioning the cost is your negative posts that have no relevance to the OP. :doh:

I think the people that moan about people concerned about mpg haven’t got 60k+ Motorhomes....:D2

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Ordering a Pilote P740C on the 27th.
Like most new motorhomes it has a Ducato base to it.
I am aiming to order the 150hp engine and comfortmatic gearbox.
Also 4.4t chassis with airtop suspension as well as cruise control.
Does it have a trip computer as standard?
Any advice, suggestions or information would be helpfull.
Thank you in advance.

Jands

You do not say on this thread whether you are new to MHoming.

You do seem to be set on getting several options in your OP post and later posts. Of course to get those maybe the only option is to order new, but it could entail quite a wait as one might not be availsble off the production line as programmed for the near future - as some components for the next batch of vehicles have already been ordered. Remember some of your options have to be incorporated in the base vehicle by FIAT. Therefore you may be waiting for your own specification to be built by FIAT and then converted by Pilote, so maybe more than a year.

So, according to when you want to use the MH, maybe you should search around to see whether you could acquire one secondhand, at a much reduced price, but you might have to forego some of your spec features, but at a much reduced price. Apologises if you have already done that.

You do not say whether you want RHD or LHD or no preference. If you would accept secodhand and LHD then a search of Continental websites and agencies might turn up a MH near your spec and much cheaper than new.

If it is your first MH then I would encourage to buy secondhand because if it does not suit and you wish to change later then the depreciation will be much less and would leave more cash that you saved on a new purchase to put to another choice.

Your choice of route to take of course.

If you do order new do not part with even the deposit till the dealer has established a firm delivery date from Pilote and make it a condition of the contract, so that if the date slips significantly you can reject the vehicle, or seek damages for non-delivery based on that contract condition.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Geoff

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As above yes, my trip averages about 26mpg but I clocked every litre for a 5k trip around Europe and got 31mpg.

I have the same configuration as you but 2012 4250kg I find it a bit under powered on the hills, and with the fiats troubles and strife’s I wouldn’t buy another.... but I’d go for a 3ltr....
Are 3ltr engines still available on new motorhomes?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I log my fuel for interest and to give me an accurate idea of range left in the tank. The trip computer uses a weird algorithm to work it out and it varies wildly, I like to know how far the van can go before fueling.

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
The only sizes are 2ltr 115hp and 2.3ltr 130, 150 and 180hp.
All Euro 6 not using blue.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've always wanted to know the fuel consumption on any vehicle I own. brim to brim every time & check it out. One of the first things to show up problems. Additionally if you do drive large distances it is always handy to know. At least by knowing the consumption I know that an additional 20L fuel means that I can run right through France when there is a fuel strike (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our 3rd Ducato mpg rea
It does but whoever in Fiat decided to put the trip button on the window wiper stalk needs shooting.
Why? I find it perfect there but I don't like the hair trigger on the indicator stork.

As for mpg readout on our 3rd Ducato, all 3 have been fairly accurate less than ½ mpg difference compared to tank brimming.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
On our 3rd Ducato mpg rea

Why? I find it perfect there but I don't like the hair trigger on the indicator stork.

I'm not sure how many times that I've activated the wipers when pressing the button for the menu choices.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm not sure how many times that I've activated the wipers when pressing the button for the menu choices.
For me once or twice over 3 vans, I can live with that.
Fed up with indicators going off when I switch dip/main beam & sometimes when I put cruise on.:)

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It ought to come with driver AND passenger airbags, but worth checking there is a passenger one.
More importantly make sure you can turn the passenger airbag off IF your passenger travels with their feet on the dash like my wife has done for over 2 years, and like I see lots of car passengers do. Youtube results of minor prangs where the airbag has gone off, destroying the legs, hips and sometimes face as the foot hits it. Not looking for the usual argument...just saying

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
For me once or twice over 3 vans, I can live with that.
Fed up with indicators going off when I switch dip/main beam & sometimes when I put cruise on.:)

Yea, there not in the right place are they.... and the indicator has that lane change feature where when you make a mistake and catch the the stalk it feels like it’s flashing on forever till it cancels, makes me feel a right prat....:doh:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are lots of options available on the Ducato base, but it varies if your dealer (or converter) will allow you to specify any/all of them. One option I think is essential (for me) is a leather steering wheel & gearnob rather than the standard plastic items.

You can also usually spec things like:
125-litre fuel tank
If opting for LED running lights, you can have black or silver headlamps
Black or Silver Grill
Chrome rings on the speedometer
Silver trim around the interior air vents

and various bits and pieces like that.

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Hi Geoff.
Will be getting new as my specifications would be difficult to find second hand.
Have talked with Haynes and they can hold up the last ordered one till the 22nd, Pilote had put the last date to order a week earlier, I don't want delivery till September, as retiring at the end of July.
It will be my first MH but have hired previously, toured Europe on my motorcycle quite a few times and travelled by car a couple of times.
Spent the last few years sorting out what we wanted visiting shows and the internet so am sure what we have decided is correct.
Requirements are room to live in for up to a month, fixed bed, room for 125cc motorcycle. After looking the Pilote P740C fits all our requirements although to ensure we are ok payload wise going for the upgraded chassis.
I understand the second hand theory, but would be unable to get what we decided second hand, and to not get that would mean we would change to the Pilote soon after. Luckily my pension and other money allows this extravigance.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
More importantly make sure you can turn the passenger airbag off IF your passenger travels with their feet on the dash like my wife has done for over 2 years, and like I see lots of car passengers do. Youtube results of minor prangs where the airbag has gone off, destroying the legs, hips and sometimes face as the foot hits it. Not looking for the usual argument...just saying

The airbag isn't her only worry. I dealt with a collision many years ago pre-airbags where a young female passenger was travelling with her feet on the dashboard. The car she was travelling in was hit from behind. "Just" a normal motorway shunt, not particularly severe, but the shock of the impact broke her back and she was completely disabled from the waist down for the rest of her life. She was wearing her seatbelt. Car seats are designed to be sat in straight with feet on the floor for a reason!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back