Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all,

We have an N-B Arto on a 2007 Ducato base - it's the 3.0 litre 160bhp and has done 28000 miles.

We've had it for about a year and the biting point of the clutch has always been pretty high.
We had once incident early on when I mucked up reversing uphill - over revving and causing a good few seconds of clutch burn.

Since then I've noticed that there is slight clutch slip when if you try to accelerate hard when in too high a gear. Obviously that's something that I'm trying to make sure I don't do!

The only other issue I noticed was that there was some stuttery roll-back off our ramps when parked in 1st and I took the handbrake off to rotate the driver seat. But I've heard that can be normal?

I don't want to get stuck away from home with a catastrophic clutch failure - but also don't want to do this job before I have to.

Do you think I need to do this imminently or could I safely nurse the clutch along for a while?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Andy

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Hello Andy,

I’m afraid it’s time for a complete new clutch, best done sooner than later, it’s not going to get any better.
As it’s still driveable you have a choice of garages to fix it, if you leave it until you need recovery it’s a different situation.

Good luck

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Mine failed this year at 28,000. £400 to replace all three bits. It wasn't too bad but I would have gone too far from home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
28k on one of these clutches seems about average with heavy vans

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Hello all,

We have an N-B Arto on a 2007 Ducato base - it's the 3.0 litre 160bhp and has done 28000 miles.

We've had it for about a year and the biting point of the clutch has always been pretty high.
We had once incident early on when I mucked up reversing uphill - over revving and causing a good few seconds of clutch burn.

Since then I've noticed that there is slight clutch slip when if you try to accelerate hard when in too high a gear. Obviously that's something that I'm trying to make sure I don't do!

The only other issue I noticed was that there was some stuttery roll-back off our ramps when parked in 1st and I took the handbrake off to rotate the driver seat. But I've heard that can be normal?

I don't want to get stuck away from home with a catastrophic clutch failure - but also don't want to do this job before I have to.

Do you think I need to do this imminently or could I safely nurse the clutch along for a while?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Andy
Change as soon as possible As Spanner says
if left till last minute you may also damage the DMF which is not cheap
Mine was done at 24000 miles when slipping was first noticed

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It does sound like its giving notice. You probably could nurse it along if you want to but do you want the hassle? I would be driving along feathering the throttle worrying about it.

I would ask someone else who knows how they should drive just to double check its not in my head, and then find someone I was really convinced would do a good job and then get it done in a planned fashion. The alternative is wherever the breakdown truck takes you.

Jon
btw ours is a 2010 Arto 3litre 160hp, 59000 still on clutch one, no signs yet fingers crossed.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mine failed this year at 28,000. £400 to replace all three bits. It wasn't too bad but I would have gone too far from home.

That sounds like a great deal. From looking online average prices look around £800 for this. Did you do the replacement yourself?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
No - I only work on motorbikes these days.

I'm a born Yorkshire man and live in South Yorkshire so I suspect it would be as cheap as anywhere in the country.
The garage charged me £260 labour plus £30 for the slave cylinder. I bought the 2 part clutch online for £165.
I was told to buy a LUK clutch as being the best, but when the box was opened it was made by Valeo the standard Fiat supplier.
Sorry the bill came to £455 but I was quoted £1200 by the Fiat agent here and €1700 by Fiat in Germany.

It started slipping in the south of France so I was worried about all the way home. I tried to avoid any hills and tried not to tax it too much. There was still some life in it but I wouldn't like to take it abroad again.

//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NEW-LuK-Clutch-Kit-626303333-Citroen-Jumper-Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer/263027063857?fits=Model%3ADucato%7CCars+Year%3A2012&epid=1725419776&hash=item3d3da27c31:g:zKUAAOSwIdpZ1zK0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
91000 miles on the original (2.3 2007) with no signs of any problem (including reversing).

But note yours is the 3 litre and from what you say about the high engagement point sounds like it's ready to go. Agree, get it done asap at your choice, not the breakdown truck driver.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If the average is around 26,000 , looks like the part isnt up to the job its being asked to do !!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If the average is around 26,000 , looks like the part isnt up to the job its being asked to do !!

Dont forget the OP reported a bit of abuse at the start of the problem.

I know the early 2.3s had a bit of a reputation but havent heard of that many 3 litres suffering or later 2.3s. I would be very surprised if 26000 was the average.

Jon

Aug 13, 2015
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a newbie
Hi Andy
Our clutch went and needed a lift back from the lakes
It needs an extra large van to carry the MH and took ages, so for peace of mind i'd just get it fixed
We used Autofix on the Tyne Tunnel trading Estate
They fixed ours for around 550 if I remember rightly
Steve

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Andy
Our clutch went and needed a lift back from the lakes
It needs an extra large van to carry the MH and took ages, so for peace of mind i'd just get it fixed
We used Autofix on the Tyne Tunnel trading Estate
They fixed ours for around 550 if I remember rightly
Steve
That's so helpful Steve. We live in Newcastle - so could easily get over there.

What did you actually replace?
I am getting conflicting advice from garages I have spoken to.
Obviously everyone is saying three-part clutch replacement - but some are also saying change the fly-wheel at the same time otherwise this can start to rattle once the new clutch has been worn in.
Some people are saying just replace the dual-mass flywheel - others are saying take the chance to convert to solid mass flywheel.

Did you do any of this?

I am out of my depth with this stuff - so all wisdom gratfully received!

Aug 13, 2015
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a newbie
Hi Andy
I work with Ros!
Not sure exactly what they replaced but they did the flywheel too
I'll bring the bill into work so Ros can take it home so you can see it
They service a few motorhomes and we service our cars there
We trust them so just let them get on with it
Steve

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Steve! Ha! I had no idea it was you!

That's such a good price if they did the flywheel as well. The stuff I'm being quoted is all around £900-£1000.
Is your van on a ducato base?

I'm sure they would have told you if they were going to convert the flywheel.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I remember a post some time ago that gave details of a single piece flywheel and clutch kit. Main benefit was heat dispertion, as its often overheating that causes clutch failure rather than wear on friction plate on vehicles running at or near max load. This kit was only available, at the time, for the 3 litre version of the fiat engine.
Anyone have more info?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Obviously everyone is saying three-part clutch replacement - but some are also saying change the fly-wheel at the same time otherwise this can start to rattle once the new clutch has been worn in.
Some people are saying just replace the dual-mass flywheel - others are saying take the chance to convert to solid mass flywheel

I had trouble getting the right clutch for my reg. van but eventually I bought the flywheel and the clutch friction plate for a motor factors. They didn't know which slave cylinder was fitted so it had to wait until the mechanics took it of and they supplied the same one.
I enquired about the dual mass flywheel but my model/year (2012) is not fitted with one.

See -- https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/new-clutch-at-32-000-miles.153047/

Mar 14, 2010
Funster No
Hi posted about 5 years ago had to have clutch changed as slipping in high gears only 14000 on the clock
It may have been chipped before I bought it as some of the wiring conduit had been cut and re taped would like to know if anybody has had the the borg and beck kit has 1054 fitted as it's 15 mm larger and better heat dissipation and last 15 times longer that original clutch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back