Ducato, 2k miles and I need to top up AdBlu - normal? (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
My 2021 Ducato based pvc auto has only done 2k miles and the AdBlu warning light has come on so it’s used over 50%.

Seems excessive, need to take it to Fiat on Wednesday for a DPF sensor issue so would be useful to know the experiences of others with a 2021 140bhp auto.

Thanks.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Ours was the same Andy Peugeot were not over generous on the adblue front I had to put about 9 litres in .
(160 bhp manual )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
And be careful not to spill when you fill up it's messy stuff

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
My 2021 Ducato based pvc auto has only done 2k miles and the AdBlu warning light has come on so it’s used over 50%.

Seems excessive, need to take it to Fiat on Wednesday for a DPF sensor issue so would be useful to know the experiences of others with a 2021 140bhp auto.

Thanks.
Think the Adblue tank is 19 Litres, so the tank must have been very low when sold [as other Funsters have reported]. Otherwise, there is a big problem [unlikely]; or, you've been wearing diving boots when driving ... I'd go for the 'not fully topped up when sold' possibility.

Steve

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
It must have been nearly empty on delivery, maybe trying to get the MIRO weight down as far as possible.:giggle:
Our 2.0 Ltr 4x4 BMW has now done 9000 miles and not needed an Adblue top up yet, it either uses very little or it has a massive tank, will only know when the light comes on and I fill it the brim.
I would have thought the AdBlue tank size would have been mentioned somewhere in the Fiat manual, but being a bloke, like most I dont read those things unless absolutely necessary.;)
LES

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
It must have been nearly empty on delivery, maybe trying to get the MIRO weight down as far as possible.:giggle:
Our 2.0 Ltr 4x4 BMW has now done 9000 miles and not needed an Adblue top up yet, it either uses very little or it has a massive tank, will only know when the light comes on and I fill it the brim.
I would have thought the AdBlue tank size would have been mentioned somewhere in the Fiat manual, but being a bloke, like most I dont read those things unless absolutely necessary.;)
LES
I'm sure it's 19 litres [think I stumbled across the info when looking in the Owner's Manual for other data that I failed to find, and, having a non Adblue engine, my discovery was absolutely useless ...]. That'll teach to RTFM ... :LOL:

Steve

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I'm sure it's 19 litres [think I stumbled across the info when looking in the Owner's Manual for other data that I failed to find, and, having a non Adblue engine, my discovery was absolutely useless ...]. That'll teach to RTFM ... :LOL:

Steve
I think thats why most blokes dont read the manuals, as the have learned the lesson many years back that the detailed info you need to find is either not easy to find, or you end up reading every paragraph just in case you overlooked it. (Remember Haynes Manuels?) I got many a skinned knuckle, when it got to the part that said, having removed A, then assembly B should come away easily. :swear:

Blokes should always try and marry proof readers as they come into their own on reading and relaying info from manuals, besides that our hands are probably well grubby half way through a job, when we have to give in and Yes...... RTFM.
LES

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
..... (Remember Haynes Manuals?) I got many a skinned knuckle, when it got to the part that said, having removed A, then assembly B should come away easily. :swear:
Haynes Final 3.jpg

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I think thats why most blokes dont read the manuals, as the have learned the lesson many years back that the detailed info you need to find is either not easy to find, or you end up reading every paragraph just in case you overlooked it. (Remember Haynes Manuels?) I got many a skinned knuckle, when it got to the part that said, having removed A, then assembly B should come away easily. :swear:

Blokes should always try and marry proof readers as they come into their own on reading and relaying info from manuals, besides that our hands are probably well grubby half way through a job, when we have to give in and Yes...... RTFM.
LES
I'm married to an ex Database Administrator, to whom RTFM, plus the discipline of following a set sequence/procedure,is second nature. So, when the air turns blue, the blood pressure rises to danger levels, the noise levels increase and my rant reaches warp speed, Elaine will wait for 3 seconds, and then enquire sweetly, 'Has that outburst improved the situation or your demeanour? Now, pass me the Manual, andI'll read out the instructions, not the 'fu**ing instructions', because you're not a virgin in a brothel ..., and see if we can't sort the problem out ...'

There's a limited number of times that I can cope with this type of humiliation in response to my petulance ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

bze1956

Free Member
Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
Fiat Professional's 'indicative' AdBlue consumption for the Euro6D-Temp engines, attached. 6D-Temp engines subject to RDE testing are using a lot more AdBlue than the previous generation which could reduce their consumption (i.e. cheat) once out of the test phase..

Absolute worst case on Fiat's chart is 7l/1000km on the 'highway' (motorway) so Fiat admit that foot hard down you *could* burn through 11.2 litres in the OP's 2000 miles!

Attachments

• AdBlue usage.JPG
    AdBlue usage.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 415
Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Fiat Professional's 'indicative' AdBlue consumption for the Euro6D-Temp engines, attached. 6D-Temp engines subject to RDE testing are using a lot more AdBlue than the previous generation which could reduce their consumption (i.e. cheat) once out of the test phase..

Absolute worst case on Fiat's chart is 7l/1000km on the 'highway' (motorway) so Fiat admit that foot hard down you *could* burn through 11.2 litres in the OP's 2000 miles!
It seems counterintuitive that the heaviest AdBlue consumption is on the motorway rather than in urban areas.

I know my own consumption averages about 220miles/litre in my 140hp 2019 Ducato PVC. So that equates to about 2.8 Litres/1000km. So about right. My warning light comes after about 2200 miles from a full tank.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our 3ltr Fiat/Iveco uses around 10lts every 1,000 miles, Iveco say that is to be expected 😮

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Not that heavy a foot as I’m getting 32mpg.
At 32mpg you are getting about 7 miles to the litre (fag packet-bear with me) ergo you have used about 300 litres of diesel at 2100 miles

Ad blue consumption depends on a huge number of things, but 4 to 5% ( of the diesel consumption) would not be “abnormal” from a manufacturers point of view

That calc would imply use of about 12 to 15 litres in 2100 miles

A really heavy A class like Steve and Denise , towing a TOAD as he does, would use a bit more.Which his post confirms👍

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Peugeot Boxer 2litre Blue HDI 160

Consumption: 1.5L/1,000 Km

15-liter tank allowing to cover 8300 Km before alert which corresponds to only 1 filling per year (average camper user of 10,000 Km / year).

RH

Aug 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido

Thanks.
Yes it drinks the stuff 10 litres 2000 miles

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back