Ducato 2007 advice & reviews (1 Viewer)

reb28

Free Member
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
So...

I am looking at purchasing (private sale) a 4 berth 2007 Ducato chassis/drive train motorhome for around 25k. I would consider a Ford transit but nothing seems to be available in my price range on either autotrader or EBay. Is there somewhere else I can look? I have identified these two makes as I want to take the motorhome back to New Zealand when we have finished our sojourn here in the UK and Europe in 18 months or so. These two makes are readily available there. I don’t do work on the vehicles myself so am dependent on garages to service them and both Fiat and Ford have agents in NZ. Peugeot vans, for example, are not imported into NZ and a relative of mine who works for a Peugeot car agency in NZ has advised against bringing anything back that does not have a local presence.

Being new to this game my research suggests that Ducato come in 3 engine sizes: 2.2, 2.3 and 3 litre. I have read about a 2.8 but think these are no longer available? What are the pros and cons of each engine size? I have read about the juddering in reverse problem and water ingress through the plastic under the windscreen. Is there anything else I should be mindful of? Any advice, no matter how biased or arcane will be appreciated as ultimately, after considering everything I have researched myself, heard or read from others, I will have to make up my own mind.

Thanks in advance for your responses and I appreciate the opportunity to be able to tap in to such a wealth of experience from motorhome owners!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the site, the water ingress and juddering problems are a worry, however both can be sorted and should be before you purchase the van. But do check pre 2005 vans don't have the juddering/gearbox problems so may be worthwhile looking for an older model.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Hi and welcome

I have a 2.8 Ducato base Lunar and its fantastic:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Reb28, I have a Swift Kon-Tiki 615 Highline(4 Berth) on a 2003 Fiat Ducato with a 2.8 JTD. Never had any trouble with it, excellent van and it will be up for sale in a couple of weeks time. Have a look in my gallery. £24kono.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi and welcome to the fun.

I have not personally seen much newer stuff in your price range to be honest,

As roger says (although you can still get newer) mine is a 2006 on the old chasis, and you can find some registered in 2007 in the old chasis if you look hard and get lucky. They are the last of the best breed IMO. The newer chasis did cause a bit of a stir but having said that it does seem to of died down a bit, so if you were to find one that had been recalled or has no judder issues then great.

As for the peugot thing? well they are the same van just badged different, so if there was a fiat agent in NZ then im sure you would not have a problem parts wise.

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi Reb28 and welcome to fun,

I have a 2005 Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD which is the Mark 3, have had no problems with it apart from normal usage items such as battery and Brake pads.

One thing you have to check with the earlier models is the front cross member, these are prone to rusting out and as these support the radiator etc they can give problems. They are easy to replace, 6 bolts and someone to support the rad etc. Cost aboput £80 + labour.

I made an enquiry recently about taking my vehicle to Australia, (Southampton - Fremantle) and it would have cost £4850 + VAT one way. I expect that you would also have to pay an import tax for taking it into NZ. So the cost implications can be quite expensive.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision along with the other various comments you have received.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back