Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Cant find the damned thing! :cry: Do you have to remove the bottom engine protection panel to see where it lives??? :Blush:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
unless its an automatic it wont have one.

usually fill to level of filler bung

even autos don't have em these days some have a tube with a cap on so the dealers can check it with special tool bla-bla001 :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
even autos don't have em these days some have a tube with a cap on so the dealers can check it with special tool bla-bla001 :Doh:

Tell me about it......

i found out when i forced the cap off my Chrysler to find no dipstick :Eeek:.....thought at first the dipstick had come off the cap and dropped down the tube :Doh:.
luckily it went back on and stayed there

of course, theres always some entrepreneur who makes an aftermarket dipstick

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
On the Mk1 Ducato (AKA Talbot Express) there was a transmission dipstick fitted, it lived in the diff housing. If you have amrs that are four feet long you might just reach it through the engine bay otherwise its accessible from beneath and behind the power unit.

Well its either that one or the one bewhind the steering wheel::bigsmile:

D.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
On the Mk1 Ducato (AKA Talbot Express) there was a transmission dipstick fitted, it lived in the diff housing. If you have amrs that are four feet long you might just reach it through the engine bay otherwise its accessible from beneath and behind the power unit.

D.

seen plenty behind the steering wheel :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
There is a dipstick on the top of the gearbox and the level can be topped up though that hole.

• the best way to asses this is on your back so ramps I use my levelling ramps and I find that enough make sure you chock the back well's so it dose not role off the ramps
  • if there is any emulsification of the oil change it IE looks cloddy or milky
  • apart from that it relatively simple job :thumb:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

D.

Thanks Dave. Yes, it is a Mk1, and the handbook has a nice picture of the stick, just doesn't tell you how to get at it. Mine still has the black plastic cover fitted under the engine, so it seems that must come off. Thanks again peeps. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't fill the gearbox through the dipstick hole. The dipstick lives in a separate chamber and filling through the dipstick hole will result in the wrong oil level in the box. To fill the box or top up remove the reverse light switch from the top of the box and top up through there. If you're changing the box oil it takes two litres.

D.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Last van was an old Hymer based on the MK 1 Ducato. I could just about get to the dipstick & disconnect/remove the reversing switch by taking the spare wheel out from under the bonnet & removing the air filter & it's plastic trunking.
Sounds like a bit of a game but the plastics are held in with clips & maybe a large jubilee clip so only ten minutes and your there.
Still have to get underneath for the drain plug etc. though.
To be honest I have'nt checked the gearbox on my current van, I splashed out on a decent service with the assumption this may have been looked at with the engine service. Best have a look as soon as I get a chance ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back