Ducato 2.3 180 v “old” 3 litre 180. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Our new van has now completed 4000 miles and is loosening up nicely. We had been a bit worried whether the new engine could be as good as the old, more cc’s the better and chain not belt driven etc.

However, we have been really pleasantly surprised, it’s quieter and smoother and seems to have as much pulling power, even on weekend trips we are running at 3800kg, and returning c 27mpg, not too bad for a newish engine.

Only slight fly in the ointment is that it seems to be using some oil, no leaks, but the dashboard indicator varies between 4 and 3 bars, have checked the dipstick but the oil is so clean and new it’s difficult to see! Will get the garage to check when it’s in being checked for the recalls.

Wondered how others were finding theirs?

Bill

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think you will find it’s common with new motors to use oil to start with, the oil now days is so thin.

Reactions: f6c

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
My only concern would be the expense of replacing the cam belt, it's fiendishly complex in the layout and tensioning.

My son is a diesel engine development engineer at Perkins Cat and considers the cam-belt option risky with an erratic duty-cycle inherent with camping cars (periods of no/low use).

This may be just the rather conservative approach of a engineer....

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
My only concern would be the expense of replacing the cam belt, it's fiendishly complex in the layout and tensioning.

My son is a diesel engine development engineer at Perkins Cat and considers the cam-belt option risky with an erratic duty-cycle inherent with camping cars (periods of no/low use).

This may be just the rather conservative approach of a engineer....
Not sure what engine that cam belt setup is from but it's not a 2.3 Ducato motor.

D.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Having just made the same change I was somewhat apprehensive. Up to 1500miles it seemed very underpowered and was really hard work. Having just passed 3k miles it is definitely performing better. Revs need to be above 2k rpm to keep it in the better power band . We returned from Cornwall on Saturday and it performed well . The MH is 5ton on tag axle but running about 4.5 ton while towing an I 10 Hyuandi . It was retuning 23.5 on the computer which is slightly less than the 3 litre. We passed over the Sheppy Bridge only dropping one gear maintaining 55mph which was encouraging . Get a few more miles on with a trip to the winter sun and We will have a better picture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My 3 liter at 2000 rpm equates to about 65 mph on the flat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Take the dash oil gauge with a pinch of salt on our 150 it can read anything from one bar to 5 bars if the van is not dead flat.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back